Navy Squash Season Comes to a Close at CSA Individual Championship
WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Navy squash team closed out the 2017-18 season on Sunday with the final matches played at the College Squash Association Individual Championship hosted by George Washington in the nation’s capital.
Senior team captain Jack Herold (Chicago, Ill.), junior Senen Ubina (Greenwich, Conn.), sophomore Michael Kacergis (Malvern, Pa.) and freshman Jack Lentz (Philadelphia, Pa.) represented Navy in the three-day individual national championship. Both Herold and Kacergis won their opening-round matches before succumbing in the quarterfinals.
Herold finished the season with an 18-11 record, while he closes out his career with a 66-38 record and tied for 14th on the Mids’ all-time wins list. Kacergis, meanwhile, stood 16-12 on the year and will enter his junior campaign with a 37-17 mark.
Ubina, who won the consolation finals in the Molloy East division a year ago, lost his opening-round match on Friday by an 11-9, 11-4, 11-7 count to Rochester’s Marcus Sim Wei Jie. Ubina bounced back to win a 3-0 match against Colby’s William McBrian to advance to the consolation semis. Despite jumping out to a 2-0 advantage, Columbia’s Krish Kapur rallied to win the final three games, 11-7, 11-4, 11-5 to eliminate Ubina from the tournament.
Ubina closed out the year with a team-high tying 22 wins (22-7) and will enter his senior campaign boasting a 62-26 record. The 62 wins are tied as the 17th most in school history and should he reach 20 wins for a third time in his career, he would be one of only seven players in Navy history to win 80 or more matches.
Lentz had a strong showing in his first appearance at the individual national championship. After dropping a tough 3-2 decision to Cornell’s Jordan Brail in the round of 16, Lentz fought back to defeat Ahirudh Nambiar of Bates in the consolation quarters and swept Virginia’s William Braff in the semis. Lentz, however, fell short in his quest to win the consolation finals of the Molloy North division, as Penn’s Yash Bhargava rallied to win the final two games of a five-game match to defeat Lentz.
Lentz wrapped up his first season at Navy with a 22-9 record.
Jack Herold (Molloy North)
• Round of 16 - def. Gabriel Bassil (Rochester) 11-9, 11-1, 11-9
• Quarterfinals - lost to David Yacobucci (Penn), 11-9, 7-11, 11-9, 11-4
Jack Lentz (Molloy North)
• Round of 16 - lost to Jordan Brail (Cornell), 4-11, 11-5, 6-11, 11-7, 11-8
• Consolation Quarterfinals - def. Ahirudh Nambiar (Bates), 11-2, 11-7, 1-1 ret.
• Consolation Semifinals - def. William Braff (Virginia), 11-5, 12-10, 11-9
• Consolation Finals - lost to Yash Bhargava (Penn), 11-8, 14-16, 8-11, 12-10, 11-3
Michael Kacergis (Molloy East)
• Round of 16 - def. Jacob Kagan (Middlebury), 11-4, 7-11, 11-7, 2-11, 11-5
• Quarterfinals - lost to Hayes Murphy (Penn), 12-10, 15-17, 12-10, 6-11, 11-2
Senen Ubina (Molloy West)
• Round of 16 - lost to Marcus Sim Wei Jie (Rochester), 11-9, 11-4, 11-7
• Consolation Quarterfinals - def. William McBrian (Colby), 11-5, 11-5, 11-6
• Consolation Semifinals - lost to Krish Kapur (Columbia), 12-14, 8-11, 11-7, 11-4, 11-5
### Go Navy ###