Ubina Wins Consolation Finals as Squash Season Comes to a Close
HANOVER, N.H. — The Navy squash team closed out its season on a high note Sunday when sophomore Senen Ubina (Greenwich, Conn.) won the consolation finals of the Molloy East bracket at the 2016-17 College Squash Association Individual Championship.
Ubina, junior Jack Herold (Jr / Chicago, Ill.) and rookie Owen Davis (Rydal, Pa.) represented Navy in the three-day individual national championship hosted by Dartmouth. Ubina dropped his opening-round matchup against Penn’s James Watson, 11-3, 11-6, 6-11, 11-7. He bounced back on Saturday to earn back-to-back victories over MIT’s Vedaant Kukadia (3-0) and Middlebury’s Jacob Kagan (3-1) to set up his consolation final contest against Drexel’s Willemse. A hard-fought match by both competitors, Ubina fought back from a 2-1 deficit to level the match with a 17-15 win in game four. Fighting off a number of match points over the final two games, Ubina went on to defeat Willemse in the fifth by a 13-11 count.
Herold secured a 3-0 win over William Cembalest of Middlebury in the opening round of the Molloy North bracket, but dropped out of the tournament following a 3-1 loss to Dartmouth’s Carson Spahr.
Davis also claimed a win in his round of 16 battle against Denison’s Ziad Elmandouh in the Molloy South bracket. After dropping the first two games, 11-7 and 11-4, Davis fought his way back with two-point wins in the third (13-11) and fourth (11-9) to force a game five. Davis completed the comeback with an 11-5 win in the fifth. Davis, however, also fell out of the competition in the quarterfinals following a 3-1 loss to Moustafa Bayoumy of St. Lawrence.
Jack Herold (Molloy North)
• Round of 16 - def. William Cembalest (Middlebury), 11-5, 11-5, 11-3
• Quarterfinals - lost to Carson Spahr (Dartmouth), 11-7, 11-9, 8-11, 11-8
Owen Davis (Molloy South)
• Round of 16 - def. Ziad Elmandouh (Denison), 7-11, 4-11, 13-11, 11-9, 11-5
• Quarterfinals - lost to Moustafa Bayoumy (St. Lawrence), 11-5, 11-5, 8-11, 11-7
Senen Ubina (Molloy East)
• Round of 16 - lost to James Watson (Penn), 11-3, 11-6, 6-11, 11-7
• Consolation Quarterfinals - def. Vedaant Kukadia (MIT), 16-14, 11-5, 11-9
• Consolation Semifinals - def. Jacob Kagan (Middlebury), 8-11, 11-6, 11-3, 11-5
• Consolation Finals - def. Luke Willemse (Drexel), 8-11, 11-5, 8-11, 17-15, 13-11
### Go Navy ###