Baseball to Host UMBC on Wednesday in Non-Conference Tilt
Sophomore Drew Hayes is hitting .400 over his last four games
March 11, 2014
Navy Welcomes UMBC
After an action-packed four-day run of single games versus Penn, Monmouth, Towson and Washington College, the Navy baseball team will extend its season-opening homestand on Wednesday when the Mids welcome the Retrievers of UMBC to Max Bishop Stadium for a 3 p.m. contest.
Of note, this game was originally scheduled to be play at UMBC on March 13, but was re-located due to unplayable field conditions.
Navy will send freshman RHP Michael McCormick to the mound for his first collegiate start after making two appearances out of the bullpen for the Mids earlier in the season ... He most recently appeared in March 10's contest versus Washington College and retired two of the three batters that he faced.
UMBC will counter with redshirt-junior RHP Shane Vlasic, who will be making his first start since 2012 after red-shirting during the 2013 season.
- Navy is coming into Wednesday off of a 9-3 victory over Washington College on Monday afternoon ... The combination of a 5.0 inning appearance by George Coughlin in his first start and 13 hits led the Mids to the win
- Coughlin was the first player not named Parenti, Moore or Gillingham to start a game on the mound for Navy in 2014
- Looking back at their last four games, the Mids are 3-1 with a .308 batting average and 1.50 ERA ... In each of the last three contests, Navy's offense has recorded double-digit hits: Monmouth (13), Towson (10) and Washington (13) ... On the mound, the Navy's hurlers have held its opposition to three or less runs with six or less hits in all four games: Penn (1 run/5 hits), Monmouth (3 runs/6 hits), Towson (3 runs/6 hits) and Washington (3 runs/6 hits)
- Seven Midshipmen are batting over .300 in the last four games with Drew Hayes (.400), Brandon Beans (.400), Kash Manzelli (.400) and Leland Saile (.385) leading the way ... Saile tops the team with four RBI during that span of play
- In Monday's NCAA rankings: Navy's pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top 50 with the #15 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.34:1), #27 WHIP (1.09), #36 K/9 (8.4), #43 Hits allowed/9 (7.33) and #44 ERA (2.59)
- Individually in the top-100 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #1 in Victories (4), #28 Strikeouts (30), #53 ERA (0.65), #58 WHIP (0.76) and #71 Hits/9 (4.88) ... Stephen Moore is #2 in Strikeout-to-walk ratio (30:1), #17 Walks/9 (0.33), #28 Strikeouts (30), #40 WHIP (0.70).
Scouting the Retrievers
UMBC comes into Wednesday's game with a record of 1-6 and on a two-game losing streak ... After going 0-3 at William & Mary to open their season, the Retrievers went 1-3 versus Elon, UNC Greensboro and Coastal Carolina this past Saturday through Monday ... Behind 7.1 scoreless innings by starter Riley Stephenson, UMBC defeated UNC Greensboro for its first win of the season on Saturday ... Leading hitters for the Retrievers include, Manny Colon (.400, 1 HR, 5 RBI), Mark Esposito (.381, 1 RBI) and Kevin Lachance (.367, 11 H, 2 RBI).
The Mids will continue their longest homestand of the year with 10 more home contests leading into Patriot League play at the end of the month ... Next up will be a four-game weekend series with Quinnipiac beginning on Friday, March 14 and going through Sunday, March 16 ... The Mids and Bobcats will play a doubleheader on Saturday.