March 19, 2014
|Delaware State (10-5) at Navy (9-9) |
|Date || Thurs., March 20 3 p.m.|
|| Annapolis, Md. | Terwilliger Brothers Field at Max Bishop Stadium|
| Season Stats
|| DSU | Navy |
Navy Welcomes Delaware State
After winning three of four games versus Quinnipiac this past weekend, the Navy baseball team will extend its season-opening homestand on Thursday when the Mids take on the Hornets of Delaware State at Max Bishop Stadium for a 3 p.m. first pitch.
Navy will send freshman RHP Michael McCormick to the mound for his second collegiate start after making a strong debut for the Mids last Wednesday versus UMBC ... In his 5.1 innings on the mound, the first-year Midshipmen held the Retrievers to just two hits and one walk, but was undone by subpar defense behind him as he was charged with four runs, all of which were unearned ... On the season, McCormick has thrown 6.0 innings with five strikeouts and allowed five runs (one earned) on two hits and three walks for a 1.50 ERA and a .091 opponents' batting average.
Delaware State will counter with freshman RHP Harry Thomas, who will be making his first collegiate start ... In four relief appearances he's thrown 4.2 innings with three strikeouts and one run allowed on three hits and three walks for a 1.93 ERA.
- Navy is coming into Thursday off of an 8-4 victory over Quinnipiac on Sunday afternoon to take the four-game set, 3-1 ... In a well-rounded team effort, the Mids used three RBIs from Drew Hayes, three base hits by Robert Currie and a 3.1 inning relief appearance by Kevin McKelvey on their way to the win
- The win by McKelvey was the first of his career and just the second all season by a Navy reliever
- Looking back at their weekend series, the Mid outhit the Bobcats, .311-to-.238 and out-pitched them to the tune of a 2.65 ERA-to-8.42 ... Navy opened the series with a 15-0 victory on Friday before winning Game 2, 3-2 and Game 4, 8-4
- Currie led the Mids versus Quinnipiac with a .625 (10-16) batting average, six runs scored, one home run, six RBI and three stolen bases ... Overall, four Mids batted over .350 for the series: Currie, Brandon Beans (.400, 6 RBIs), Travis Blue (.375, 4 RBIs) and Hayes (.364, 4 RBIs) ... From a pitching perspective, Anthony Parenti headlined the staff with his third shutout of 2014 (2 combined) with 8.0 scoreless innings of four-hit ball ... Andrew Bartek collected his second save of the season in Game One of Saturday's doubleheader
- For their efforts last week versus Washington College, UMBC and Quinnipiac, Currie (Player), Parenti (Pitcher) and Blue (Rookie) garnered Patriot League weekly honors
- In Monday's NCAA rankings: Navy's pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top 30 with the #20 WHIP (1.11), #23 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.93:1), #24 ERA (2.42), #29 Walks allowed/9 (2.65) and #30 Hits allowed/9 (7.31)
- Individually in the top-100 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #2 Victories (5), #16 ERA (0.50), #20 Strikeouts (38), #26 WHIP (0.73) and #42 Hits/9 (4.79) ... Stephen Moore is #19 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (11.33:1), #37 Walks/9 (0.80), #44 Strikeouts (34) and #89 WHIP (0.89)
Scouting the Hornets
Delaware State comes into Thursday's game with a record of 10-5 and a series win over MEAC foe, Norfolk State (2-1) ... The Hornets started their year with an 8-2 mark ... A strong offensive team, Delaware State has combined for a .341 team batting average and a 116-to-78 advantage in runs scored ... The Hornets have five hitters with averages over .360 and nine or more RBIs: David Kimbrough (.568, 9 RBIs), Ron Farley (.444, 10 RBIs), DJ Miller (.419, 9 RBIs), Aaron Nardone (.408, 12 RBIs) and Mike Alexander (.366, 11 RBIs) ... On the mound, their staff has a cumulative 4.32 ERA and 80 strikeouts over 125.0 innings pitched ... George Micahel (1.65 ERA, 2-1, 27.1 innings pitched, .167 OBA) is the team's leading starter, while Eric Sharff (1.00 ERA, 2-1, 2 saves, 9.0 innings, 7 strikeouts) is the team's closer.
The Mids will continue their longest homestand of the year with five more home contests leading into Patriot League play at the end of the month. Next up will be a four-game weekend series with Princeton beginning on Saturday, March 22 and going through Sunday, March 23. The Mids and Tigers will play a pair of doubleheaders on the weekend.