Baseball Set To Travel To UMBC On Thursday
Junior catcher Jack Keller
March 26, 2014
BALTIMORE - After playing at the friendly confines of Max Bishop Stadium for 17 straight games, the Navy baseball team will hit the road on Thursday for a final tune-up contest before opening Patriot League play this weekend. Scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. first pitch, the Mids will travel to Baltimore to take on the Retrievers of UMBC.
Navy will send freshman RHP Michael McCormick to the mound for his third straight mid-week start after compiling a pair of strong appearances against UMBC (5.1 IP, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 4K) and Delaware State (6.0 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 3 K) ... On the season, McCormick has thrown 13.1 innings with 10 strikeouts and allowed five runs (one earned) on five hits and six walks for a 0.68 ERA and a team-low .116 opponents' batting average.
UMBC will counter with senior Stephen Chrzanowski, who will be making his second start of 2014 ... In his only appearance of the season, the 6'7 RHP got the starting nod versus Maryland last Wednesday, March 19, and threw one inning, allowing one hit and walking one ... He was the first of eight Retriever pitchers to appear on the staff day.
First Meeting of 2014
The two teams met earlier this season on March 12 in Annapolis and saw UMBC walk away victorious by an 8-3 margin ... A season-high three errors were committed by Navy's defense, which in turn resulted in seven unearned runs ... McCormick made his first career start for the Mids and minimized the Retrievers effectiveness over his 5.1 innings on the mound, allowing only two hits ... Offensively, Fr. SS Travis Blue led Navy with two hits and a run scored.
- Navy is coming into Thursday after splitting a weekend series with Princeton, two games a piece ... The series was set up to mirror Patriot League play; two doubleheaders over two days with a 7-inning Game One and a 9-inning Game Two ... The Mids and Tigers traded wins with Princeton winning the first and fourth game of the series and Navy taking the middle two contests
- Reviewing the weekend stats: the Mids outhit the Tigers, .266 to .230 and outscored them, 19-11 ... On the mound, Navy's pitchers posted a 2.81 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 32 innings
- Individually, five Mids hit over .300 led by Drew Hayes, who went 6-for-12 with 2 RBI and a stolen base ... Other successful Navy batters, included Robert Currie (.455, 4 R, 2 3B, 3 RBI and 3 SB), Kash Manzelli (.357, 1 2B and 4 RBI), Jack Keller (.333, 4 R, 1 2B and .500 OBP) and Brandon Beans (.308, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 SB)
- The starting pitching duo of juniors RHP Stephen Moore (1-0, 1.29 ERA, 7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K) and LHP Anthony Parenti (0-1, 1.29 ERA, 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K) led the staff on the weekend
- Fr. LHP Kevin McKelvey earned his second relief win of the season with 2.1 innings of scoreless action out of the bullpen on Saturday. He struck out two Tigers in the appearance
- In Monday's NCAA rankings: Navy's pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top 50 with the #17 ERA (2.42), #19 WHIP (1.11), #20 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.85:1), #23 Hits allowed/9 (7.25), #37 Walks allowed/9 (2.78) and #41 Strikeouts/9 (7.9)
- Individually in the top-50 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #8 Victories (5), #15 ERA (0.63), #18 Strikeouts (44), #32 WHIP (0.80) and #50 Hits/9 (5.27) ... Stephen Moore is #19 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (10.25:1), #32 Walks/9 (0.89), #35 Strikeouts (41), #46 WHIP (0.84) ... Robert Currie is #32 in Stolen Bases (11) and #26 in Triples (3)
Scouting the Retrievers
UMBC comes into Thursday's game with a record of 5-10 and a series win over America East rival, Maine (2-1) ... Already two weekends into league play, the Retrievers are 3-3 after opening against Albany and going 1-2 ... Their most recent matchup at George Washington that was scheduled for Tuesday was postponed due to weather... Solid starting pitching leads the team as its weekend rotation of Mac Gill, Joe Vanderplas and Riley Stephenson all have ERAs under 3.20 ... Offensively, the Retrievers have two regular starting position players hitting over .300, Kevin Lachance (.339, 3 2B, 6 RBI) and Mark Esposito (.314, 3 2B, 5 RBI) ... Hunter Dolshun leads the team with a pair of home runs.
The Mids kick off Patriot League play with a four-game series in Lewisburg, Pa. versus the Bucknell Bison. Beginning on Saturday, March 29 and continuing into Sunday, Navy and Bucknell will play a pair of doubleheaders on the weekend.