April 1, 2014
|Coppin State (6-15) at Navy (13-15) |
|Date || Wed., April 2 3:00 p.m.|
|| Annapolis, Md. | Terwilliger Brothers Field at Max Bishop Stadium|
| Season Stats
|| CSU | Navy |
|| Game Tracker
Navy Hosts Coppin State on Wednesday
After five road games, the Navy baseball team will return to home action on Wednesday, April 2 versus Coppin State. The matchup against the Eagles will be the precursor to the Mids' important Patriot League weekend series with Holy Cross. The first pitch in Wednesday's contest is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
Navy will send sophomore RHP Sam Sorenson to the mound for his first career start ... After 32 career appearances out the bullpen in relief, the righty will face off with the Eagles ... In his 11 games in 2014, Sorenson has gone two or more innings in five separate appearances ... Threw 57 pitches in a 3.1-inning effort at home versus Princeton on March 23 ... In 17.0 innings as a sophomore, he's posted a 4.76 ERA with 16 strikeouts and allowed nine runs on 20 hits and eight walks.
Coppin State will counter with senior RHP Darryl Martinez, who will be making his first start of 2014 ... In seven relief outings, Martinez has registered a 5.14 ERA over 14.0 innings with 13 strikeouts and nine runs allowed on 14 hits and nine walks ... He leads the Eagles with a .269 opponents' batting average.
- Navy is coming into Wednesday off after dropping four games at Bucknell in the Patriot League opening weekend ... After falling twice on a cold and rainy Saturday in Lewisburg by scores of 2-1 and 4-1, the Mids fell victim to back-to-back complete games by Bucknell's Andrew Andreychik and Xavier Hammond on Monday ... The scores of Monday's contests were 1-0 and 5-2
- Navy's pitching staff kept the team in every contest as the Mids' first three starters, Anthony Parenti, Luke Gillingham and Stephen Moore combined to throw 19.0 innings and allow just three earned runs ... As a staff, nine pitchers appeared on the weekend and posted a combined 2.57 ERA with 19 strikeouts over 28.0 innings
- The Mids' bats were contained throughout the weekend by Bison pitching to the tune of a .132 batting average, three extra-base hits and three RBIs ... In the series, Bucknell outscored Navy, 12-4 ... So. CF Robert Currie led Navy's offense with four hits, two runs scored and a triple. He posted a .286 (4-14) batting average.
- In Monday's NCAA rankings: Navy's pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top 50 with the #18 ERA (2.49), #17 WHIP (1.12), #17 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.98:1), #25 Hits allowed/9 (7.43), #29 Walks allowed/9 (2.66) and #33 Strikeouts/9 (7.9)
- Individually in the top-50 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #19 Victories (5), #20 ERA (0.92), #30 Strikeouts (47), #46 WHIP (0.86) and #3 Complete Games (3) ... Stephen Moore is #12 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (10.25:1), #24 Walks/9 (0.89), #38 WHIP (0.84) ... Robert Currie is #23 in Stolen Bases (13) and #10 in Triples (4)
Scouting the Eagles
Coppin State comes into Wednesday's game with a record of 6-15 and a pair of MEAC series wins over Delaware State (2-1) and Maryland Eastern Shore (2-1) ... Overall in league play, the Eagles are 4-4 ... Most recently, the team dropped a twinbill at league foe Norfolk State. Coppin State lost Game One, 12-1 before falling in Game Two, 1-0 ... The Eagles are kept in games with a deep lineup, that consists of six batters hitting at a clip of .250 or better ... Jack Kraft leads the team with a .320 average, 24 hits, 14 RBI and three stolen bases ... William Brown is the team's leading power hitter with two home runs ... On the mound, the Eagles struggle with a team ERA of 6.78; no pitcher with more than 10 innings pitched has an ERA lower than 5.06.
The Mids will host Holy Cross in its first home Patriot League series of the season. Beginning on Saturday, April 5 and continuing into Sunday, Navy and Holy Cross will play a pair of doubleheaders on the weekend. Game One of each twinbill is slated to begin at 12-noon.