Navy to Begin Home-and-Home Series with UMES on Tuesday
Sam Sorenson will make his second straight mid-week start for Navy on Tuesday
April 7, 2014
Navy Set for Home-and-Home Series with UMES
The Navy baseball team will take a two-game break from Patriot League action beginning on Tuesday as the Mids will face off with the Hawks of Maryland-Eastern Shore in a home-and-home series. The two-game series kicks off at Max Bishop Stadium on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. and concludes on Wednesday at Hawks Field in Princess Anne, Md. with a 3 p.m. first pitch.
Probable Pitchers (Tuesday)
Navy will send sophomore RHP Sam Sorenson to the mound for his second career start ... After 32 career appearances out the bullpen in relief, the righty got the ball from the start for last Wednesday's against Coppin State ... Sorenson threw a season-high 77 pitches over 4.1 innings against the Eagles on April 2 ... In his 12 appearances in 2014, he has gone two or more innings on six occasions ... In 21.1 innings as a sophomore, he's posted a 5.06 ERA with 20 strikeouts and allowed 12 runs on 22 hits and 11 walks.
UMES will counter with junior RHP Chipper Smith, who will be making his fifth start of 2014 ... Over his initial seven outings of the season (four starts and three in relief), Smith has registered at 8.06 ERA over 22.1 innings pitched with 13 strikeouts and 23 runs (20 earned) allowed on 36 hits and 13 walks ... He most recently threw 3.2 innings out of the bullpen on April 2 at UMBC and allowed one unearned run on two hits and two walks.
- Navy is coming into Tuesday after splitting a four-game Patriot League series at home versus Holy Cross ... The Mids fought back after a 6-1 loss in Saturday's opening game to post a dominant 13-2 victory in the second contest ... The team's went back and forth on Sunday with Navy winning Game One, 3-1 and Holy Cross taking Game Two, 6-3
- The Mids earned their two wins in two very different manners against the Crusaders as the team tallied 14 hits and scored 13 runs on Saturday and rode Sunday's Game One starter Luke Gillingham's arm as the sophomore lefty tied his career-high with 12 strikeouts in a pressure-filled contest
- The majority of Navy's 13 runs on Saturday came courtesy of an 11-run sixth inning ... That was the highest-scoring inning for Navy under the nine-year leadership of head coach Paul Kostacopoulos ... The previous high was nine at Lafayette on May 2, 2010
- Overall for the weekend, offense led the way as the Mids recorded their second-best weekend series batting average of 2014 at .295 ... The trio of Sr. DH David Norman (.500), Sr. 1B Kash Manzelli (.400) and So. 3B Drew Hayes (.400) all recorded six hits versus Crusader pitching ... Norman and Manzelli tied for the team-high with four RBIs
- So. CF Robert Currie stole three bases on the weekend to give him 16 on the season, one away from breaking into the top-15 single-season leaderboard at Navy
- On the mound, the Mids threw 12 pitchers and registered a 3.66 ERA over 32.0 innings pitched ... Led by Gillingham's 12, the staff notched 29 strikeouts over the four games ... Starting pitchers Luke Gillingham, Anthony Parenti and George Coughlin combined to hurl 18.2 innings and allow just five runs for a 2.41 ERA
- In Monday's NCAA rankings: Navy's pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top 50 with the #28 ERA (2.78), #28 WHIP (1.18), #37 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.55:1), #29 Hits allowed/9 (7.55) and #29 Strikeouts/9 (7.9)
- Individually in the top-70 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #14 in Victories (6), #28 ERA (1.13), #39 Strikeouts (52), #46 WHIP (0.90) and #5 Complete Games (3) ... Stephen Moore is #28 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.57:1), #52 Walks/9 (1.25), #66 WHIP (0.93) ... Robert Currie is #17 in Stolen Bases (16) and #16 in Triples (4)
Scouting the Hawks
Maryland-Eastern Shore comes into the series with an overall record of 5-17 and a 3-6 mark in MEAC play ... Most recently, the team dropped a series at home versus conference rival Coppin State. After winning Saturday's opener 9-1, the Hawks lost Game Two, 14-3 and Sunday's single contest, 4-3 ... The Hawks are kept in games with a deep lineup, that consists of six batters hitting at a clip of .250 or better ... Byron Campbell leads the team with a .346 average, 17 runs scored and six stolen bases ... Justin Dattilo and Greg Turlik are closely ranked atop the team's RBI leaderboard with totals of 17 and 16, respectively ... On the mound, the Hawks struggle with a team ERA of 6.47; after weekend starters Jesse Stinnett (3.83 ERA, 42.1 IP) and Phillip Berry (4.22 ERA, 32.0 IP), the rest of UMES' staff has not found much success with a combined 1-11 record with 47 strikeouts over 102.0 innings.
After this home-and-home series, the Mids will pack their bags for their final Patriot League road series of the regular season at Lafayette ... Currently ranked fifth in the Patriot League standings, Navy will look to recapture its 2013 form against Lafayette that saw the Mids take three of four games versus the Leopards ... Game One of Saturday's twinbill in Easton begins at 12-noon.