Baseball Travels to Delaware State for Final Regular Season Road Game
April 22, 2014
Navy Set for Final Road Game of 2014 Regular Season with Wednesday Contest at Delaware State
The Navy baseball team will travel to Dover, Delaware on Wednesday afternoon for a mid-week meeting with the Hornets of Delaware State. First pitch between the two programs at Soldier Field is slated for 3 p.m. Navy won the initial 2014 meeting between the teams on March 20 in Annapolis by a 12-1 decision.
Navy will send freshman RHP George Coughlin to the mound for the mid-week start ... Coughlin is coming off of a 4.1 inning showing on Sunday, April 13 at Lafayette … For the season, the freshman from Colorado is 2-4 with a 4.28 ERA over 10 appearances and five starts. He’s allowed 34 hits in 33.2 innings, while striking out 20 opposing batters
Delaware State has not named a starter at the time of this release
- Navy is coming into Wednesday after sweeping a four-game Patriot League series at home versus Lehigh …The Mids defeated the Mountain Hawks with a pair of walk-off victories in both Game One of Saturday (3-2) and Sunday (2-1) … Game Two on Saturday (7-2) saw the Mids jump out to an early 5-0 lead, while Game Two on Sunday (4-1) will best remembered for Kyle Condry’s first career start and subsequent complete game ... As a result of the series' outcome, Navy surpassed Lehigh and moved into third place in the Patriot League standings with an 8-8 mark
- For the series, Navy swung a solid bat as the Mids combined to hit .271 and outscore Lehigh, 16-6 … 15 walks and five hit by pitches increased Navy’s on-base percentage to .374 during the series … Robert Currie posted team-highs in batting average (.438) and stolen bases (4-4), while Kash Manzelli led the Mids with a .529 on-base percentage and six RBIs … Brad Borosak (.308, 1 RBI) and Leland Saile (.286, 2 RBI) added to Navy’s offensive success
- On the mound, the Mids threw five pitchers during the weekend and registered a 1.06 ERA over 34.0 innings ... Three hurlers, Kyle Condry (9 IP, 0.00 ERA), Luke Gillingham (7 IP, 1.29 IP) and Stephen Moore (9 IP, 2.00 ERA) threw complete games and a fourth, Anthony Parenti went eight innings with a 1.12 ERA in Saturday’s Game One nine-inning affair … Tyler Ridgeway was the lone reliever to see action out of the bullpen. The freshman threw the ninth inning in Saturday's Game one victory
- Condry was recognized for his efforts versus Lehigh as the Patriot League Rookie of the Week ... Manzelli and Moore were edged out for the Player and Pitcher of the Week honors, respectively, but garnered a spot on the Patriot League Honor Roll
- With four stolen bases on the weekend, Currie became just the fourth Midshipmen in school history to record 24 steals in a season … He moved into a tie with John Cocca, who stole 24 bases in 2001
- In Monday's NCAA rankings: Navy's pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top-75 with the #66 ERA (3.33), #49 WHIP (1.26), #32 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.55:1), #39 Strikeouts/9 (7.7) and #70 Hits allowed/9 (8.30) ... Offensively, the Mids' 16 triples rank 12th in the nation
- Individually in the top-75 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #9 ERA (1.02), #21 in Victories (7), #27 WHIP (0.89), #40 Strikeouts (64), #49 Hits/9 (6.24) and #6 Complete Games (4) ... Stephen Moore is #25 in Strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.22:1), #40 Walks/9 (1.21), #2 Games Started (11), #73 WHIP (0.99) ... Robert Currie is #4 in Stolen Bases (24), #13 Triples (5), #35 Hits(57), #72 Runs (35) … Kash Manzelli is #69 in RBIs (35)
Scouting the Hornets
Delaware State comes in Wednesday’s matchup with an overall record of 20-13 and 10-6 in MEAC play … The Hornets have won seven of their last 10 games and most recently split a four-game series with UMES by taking both games of Saturday’s doubleheader by 16-6 and 15-8 results … One of the most dangerous offenses in the NCAA, Delaware State has the nation’s highest team batting average at .340, 13 points higher than the next closest team, Louisiana-Lafayette … The Hornets also rank top-20 in scoring (3rd-8.4 runs per game), stolen bases per game (5th-2.03), doubles per game (7th-2.19) and total runs (16th-268) … Seven Hornets have batting averages over .340 and other those seven batters six have 20 or more RBIs … Mike Alexander (.430, 5 HR, 26 RBI), D.J. Miller (.426, 12 2B, 24 RBI) and Aaron Nardone (.376, 7 HR, 33 RBI) serve as three of the team’s biggest threats … On the mound, Delaware State has a 4.53 team ERA, 1.61 WHIP and .284 opponent’s batting average … Outside of its three leading starting pitchers, the Hornets have just two hurlers with sub-5.35 ERAs.
After this mid-week contest, the Mids will look to cement their spot in the Patriot League postseason with their final four-game regular season series against their rival Army … Currently standing in third place in the Patriot League standings, Navy will look to mirror its 2013 regular season effort versus the Black Knights where it won three of four games at West Point … The series will also decide the yearly star challenge that sees the two academies tied at 11 win each ... Game One of Saturday's twinbill begins at 12-noon at Max Bishop Stadium and will be televised on CBS Sports Network