April 29, 2014
| George Mason (24-16) at Navy (23-26)|
|Date || Wednesday, April 30 3:00 p.m.|
|| Annapolis, Md. | Max Bishop Stadium|
| Season Stats
|| George Mason | Navy |
Navy Hosts George Mason In Final Regular Season Game
The Navy baseball team will complete its 2014 regular season on Wednesday afternoon with a home non-conference meeting with George Mason. Scheduled for a 3 p.m. first pitch at Max Bishop Stadium, the Mids and Patriots will look to re-kindle a rivalry that was postponed due to weather in 2013. The contest will be Navy’s lone action prior to kicking off Patriot League postseason action at Bucknell on May 10.
Navy will send freshman RHP Kyle Condry to the mound for his third career start … After beginning his rookie campaign with seven straight appearances out of the bullpen in relief, the righty from Highland Village, Texas made consecutive starts for the Mids in Patriot League play versus Lehigh on April 20 and Army on April 27 … On the season, he’s thrown 22.0 innings and posted a 6.14 ERA with 12 strikeouts and allowed 16 runs (15 earned) on 24 hits and five walks.
George Mason will counter with red-shirt junior Jake Kalish, who will be making his fourth start of 2014 … He most recently pitched for the Patriots on Tuesday, April 22 at Towson and took the loss as he started and went 2.2 innings with six strikeouts, but allowed four runs on five hits, a walk and a hit by pitch … Kalish has registered a 4.76 ERA over 11.1 innings pitched with 19 strikeouts and a .250 opponents’ batting average
- Navy is coming into Wednesday after going 1-3 versus Army in its final Patriot League regular season series … The Mids and Black Knights split the action on Saturday as Anthony Parenti hurled a two-hit complete game in front of a national television audience in Game One before the visitors took Game Two, 2-1 … Army took the series with a pair of one-run victories on Sunday, 1-0 and 5-4
- In the 3-1 series setback, Navy outhit Army 32-24 and posted a combined .278 average over the four games. The Mids' pitching was just as impressive with a 1.97 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 32.0 innings.
- The duo of David Norman and Robert Currie led Navy in the weekend series as Norman hit a team-high .500 (5-10) and posted a .615 OBP, while Currie had a team-high six hits and two RBIs … Six Navy batters had .300-plus batting averages
- On the mound, the Mids threw seven pitchers during the weekend … Four pitchers: Parenti (7.0 IP), Andrew Bartek (4.1 IP), Tyler Ridgeway (2.2 IP) and Kevin McKelvey (2.1 IP) posted 0.00 ERAs during the series … Luke Gillingham (1.29 ERA, 7 IP) and Stephen Moore (2.16 ERA, 8.1 IP) hurled ‘quality starts’, but were credited with hard-luck losses for Navy
- In recognition of his shutout of Army in the first game of the series, Parenti was named to the Patriot League Honor Roll
- With a stolen base on Saturday in Game Two, Currie became just the third Midshipmen in school history to record 25 steals in a season
- In Monday’s NCAA rankings: Navy’s pitching staff is highlighted throughout the top-75 with the #75 ERA (3.41), #52 WHIP (1.26), #29 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.58:1), #35 Strikeouts/9 (7.6) and #52 Walks Allowed/9 (2.96) … Offensively, the Mids’ 16 triples rank 20th in the nation
- Individually in the top-70 rankings: Anthony Parenti is #4 Complete Games (5), #5 ERA (0.93), #13 in Victories (8), #17 WHIP (0.86), #26 Hits/9 (5.91) #40 Strikeouts (71), and … Stephen Moore is #18 Strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.67:1), #25 Walks/9 (1.08), #52 WHIP (0.97) … Robert Currie is #7 in Stolen Bases (25), #15 in Triples (5) and #79 in Run (38)
Scouting the Patriots
George Mason comes into Wednesday’s matchup with an overall record of 24-16 and an 11-5 mark in Atlantic 10 play … Most recently, the team won a home conference series versus Saint Louis, two games to one with the clinching win coming on Sunday with a 9-2 score
George Mason has a deep lineup that has seven regulars with batting averages of .265 or better … Brandon Gum leads the team with a .338 average and is third on the team with 22 RBIs … Luke Willis is the team’s top speed threat with 19 steals in 21 attempts, he also has the second-highest batting average (.315) and RBI total (25) … Overall, four Patriots have 20 or more RBIs with Blaise Fernandez leading the way
On the mound, George Mason’s starting trio of Anthony Montefusco (1.05 ERA), Jared Gaynor (1.42 ERA) and John Williams (2.78 ERA) have accounted for 15 of the team’s 24 wins … Mark Maksimow is Mason’s closer with five saves on the season and a 4.22 ERA. On the season, the pitching staff has registered a 3.32 ERA to ranked 65th in the nation.
After this mid-week contest, the Mids will step away from the diamond to focus on finals … The team’s next action will come the following Saturday, May 10 in Lewisburg, Pa. for a Patriot League semifinal matchup versus the top-seeded Bucknell Bison … The Patriot League postseason consists of two best-of-three semifinal series and another best-of-three series the following weekend (May 17-18) between the two semifinal winners to decide the league champion.