Nov. 9, 2012
NAVY 75, MARYMOUNT 48
Friday, November 9, 2012 | Alumni Hall (1,682)
STARTING LINEUP (Career / Consecutive):
F -- Worth Smith (18 / 10)
C -- Jared Smoot (1 / 1)
G -- Tilman Dunbar (1 / 1)
G -- Brandon Venturini (4 / 1)
G -- Thurgood Wynn (3 / 1)
* Navy's starting lineup combined for 22 career starts entering the contest.
* It was the first game with this starting lineup (1-0).
* Navy improved to 78-28 in 106 all-time season openers.
* Navy has won back-to-back season openers for the first time since 2006-07 and 2007-08.
* Improved to 223-257 in his 17th year as a collegiate head coach.
* Improved to 4-26 in his second year at Navy.
* Improved to 13-4 in season openers. His teams have won eight straight season openers (six at Penn State; two at Navy).
* His teams have held opponents to 61 points or less in 10 of his last 13 season openers.
* DeChellis is the first Navy coach to win his first two season openers since Ben Carnevale in 1946-47 and 1947-48.
* Navy's 27-point victory was the largest in a season opener since 1996-97 (84-51 win over Coast Guard.
* Navy's 48 points allowed were the fewest in a game since holding Lafayette to 44 points on Jan. 13. 2007.
* Navy has won 19 straight games dating back to Jan. 2, 1996, when holding foes to 49 or fewer points.
* Navy's 48 points allowed were the fewest in a season opener since limiting VMI to 37 points in the 1981-82 season opener.
* Navy's 47.1 three-point percentage was its highest since shooting 50.0 percent against Towson on Nov. 24, 2010.
* Navy freshmen combined to go 10-of-23 from the field for 29 points, 14 rebounds and eight assists.
* Navy's two big men (Smoot and Kelly) played a combined 31 minutes, went 5-of-5 from the field and scored 11 points with 13 rebounds.
* The win was Navy's 1,299th all-time. The Mids are now 1,299-941 in his 106th season of basketball.
* Brandon Venturini led Navy in scoring for the first time in his career with 16 points, a career high. He also added a career-high four assists and had eight of Navy's first 16 points.
* It was the fourth career double-figure scoring game for Venturini.
* Tilman Dunbar became the 17th Navy freshman to start a season opener.
* Tilman Dunbar became the second straight freshman to start a season opener at point guard (Kevin Alter in 2011-12 vs. Longwood).
* Dunbar's seven assists are the most by a freshman in a season opener in school history.
* Kendall Knorr tallied 13 points in his first career game. It was obviously his first career double-figure scoring game.
* Worth Smith had 10 points and eight rebounds for his 13th career double-figure scoring game.
* Jared Smoot recorded career highs in points (9), rebounds (7) and blocked shots (2) while going 4-of-4 from the field in 16 minutes.
* Will Kelly grabbed six rebounds in just 15 minutes.
* Jerome Alexander tallied six points with three rebounds and drew a charge in just nine minutes.
# GO NAVY #