Nov. 13, 2011
NAVY 88, PENN STATE ALTOONA 54 | NOVEMBER 13, 2011 | ANNAPOLIS, MD. | ALUMNI HALL (1,627)
... improves Ed DeChellis to 221-231 (.489) in his 16th season as a head coach.
... improves Ed DeChellis to 2-0 (1.000) in his first season at Navy.
... improves Navy to 1-0 (1.000) at home in 2011-12.
... improves Navy to 1-0 (1.000) vs. PSU Altoona all-time.
... improves Navy to 275-39 (.876) all-time vs. Division III schools.
... improves Navy to 23-3 (.885) against Division III schools since joining the Patriot League in 1991-92.
F -- J.J. Avila (21st career / 3rd cons.)
F -- James Loupos (11th career / 2nd cons.)
G -- Jordan Sugars (55th career / 21st cons.)
G -- Isaiah Roberts (16th career / 2nd cons.)
G -- Brennan Wyatt (6th career / 1st cons.)
... 2nd different starting lineup this year.
... DeChellis started four sophomores and a senior vs. Penn State Altoona.
TEAM GAME NOTES
- Navy is 2-0 for the first time since the 2002-03 season ... it marks the fourth time (1993-94, 1998-99, 2002-03, 2011-12) that Navy has been 2-0 since joining the Patriot League in 1991-92 ... Navy will go for a 3-0 start for the first time since 1998-99 on Wednesday night at Siena.
- Navy's 88 points were the most since scoring 89 in an 89-84 win over Towson on Nov. 24, 2010 ... the 34-point margin of victory was the largest since beating Washington (Md.), 83-37, on Dec. 20, 2006.
- Navy's 28-point (49-21) halftime lead tied for the ninth-largest halftime lead in school history.
- Navy has shot over 54.0 percent in back-to-back games for the first time since Nov. 14-19, 2006, against Brown (.543) and Stony Brook (.581) ... Navy shot 54.0 percent against Longwood (.540) and Penn State Altoona (.565).
- Navy has recorded at least 20 assists in two straight games for the first time since Feb. 10-17, 1999 ... Navy had 20 assists against Longwood and 21 against Penn State Altoona.
- Navy's bench scored 61 points in the win over Penn State Altoona and no player saw more than 18 minutes ... fourteen of 16 players that saw action scored and eight players scored at least five points.
- Navy's freshman class scored 35 points, the sophomore group tallied 32 points, the junior class netted four points and the senior group scored 17 points. ... Navy's bench outscored Navy's starters, 61 to 27.
- Navy had five dunks in the win over Penn State Altoona, believed to be the most in Alumni Hall history ... Jared Smoot (2), Chall Montgomery (1), Jordan Sugars (1) and Thurgood Wynn (1) all had dunks.
- Navy won its fourth consecutive home game, dating back to last year.
INDIVIDUAL GAME NOTES
Ed DeChellis -- became the first coach to start his Navy career 2-0 since Naismith Hall of Famer started his career 2-0 in the 1946-47 season.
Carlton Smith -- Smith recorded a career-high 10 points, his first double-figure scoring game, and added a career-high six rebounds ... Smith went 4-of-5 from the field and is now 13-of-19 (.684) from the field in his career.
J.J. Avila -- Avila recorded his 19th career double-figure game with 14 points ... his 6-of-6 field goal shooting is tied for sixth-most field goals made without a miss in school history ... Avila is now 11-of-14 (.786) from the field this year.
Jordan Sugars -- Sugars saw his eight-game streak of scoring in double figures, dating back to last year, come to an end ... Sugars did make a three-pointer in his ninth consecutive game.
Thurgood Wynn -- Wynn scored a career-high 10 points, his first double-figure scoring game, on 5-of-5 shooting in just nine minutes ... Wynn added a career-high three steals ... Wynn also scored Navy's 20,000th point in Alumni Hall history on a lay-up with 12:43 left in the first half.
Jordan Brickman -- Brickman recorded a team-best four assists against one turnover in just 14 minutes ... Brickman has six assists against two turnovers in just 23 minutes of action.
Worth Smith -- Smith shared the team lead with six rebounds and added five points and three assists ... Smith has 11 rebounds in just 32 minutes this year.
Brandon Venturini -- Venturini recorded his first double-figure scoring game, tallying 10 points, three rebounds and two steals in just 14 minutes of action.
# GO NAVY #