Men’s Basketball Heads to Columbia for Sunday Afternoon Showdown
Navy (8-3) at Columbia (1-8)
Sunday, Dec. 10, 2017 | 1:00 PM
New York, N.Y. | Levien Gymnasium (2,700)
TV: SNY in New York Area and on DISH Network / Direct TV
Live Video ($) | Live Statistics | Navy Game Notes
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV / wnav.com & 1500 AM WFED
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (8-3) will take its four-game winning streak to Columbia (1-8) for a non-conference road contest on Sunday at 1:00 PM in Levien Gymnasium. Sunday’s game will be televised on SNY in the New York area. SNY is also available nationwide on DirectTV and the DISH Network.
Columbia will also provide a subscription-fee video feed on the Ivy League Digital Network. Pete Medhurst will have the radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV in Annapolis and on 1500 AM WFED in Washington, D.C. The audio feed can also be accessed on wnav.com. Live statistics will be available.
• Navy (8-3) defeated Coppin State on Wednesday, 70-53, to win its fourth straight game.
• Junior forward George Kiernan scored a season-high 17 points off the bench, while also pulling down six rebounds.
• Senior forward Tom Lacey scored 13 points with five rebounds, while senior guard Bryce Dulin tallied 13 points with five rebounds and four assists.
• Junior point guard Hasan Abdullah scored 10 points with five rebounds, four assists and a career-high tying six steals.
• Senior guard Shawn Anderson scored seven points with a team-best seven rebounds.
• Abdullah currently ranks fourth in the NCAA in total steals (29) and is 13th in steals per game (2.6). He also leads the Patriot League in both steals and steals per game.
• Navy’s other three games in its current four-game winning streak came against Denver (79-71), Delaware (82-76), and Morgan State (66-59).
• This is the second time in three years that Navy has started a season at 8-3 through 11 games. The team also did it in 2015-16.
• A win Sunday would give Navy a 9-3 start and match its best 14-game start to a season since 2006-07.
• Navy ranks first in the Patriot League in scoring defense at 67.1 points allowed per game.
• Navy ranked 25th in the NCAA in scoring defense in each of the last two seasons.
• Dulin is leading Navy in scoring this season at 12.5 points per game.
• Navy is 7-0 this season, and 17-0 over the last two seasons, when scoring at least 70 points.
• Dulin scored a career-high 30 points in Navy’s win over Delaware on Dec. 1.
• Anderson is second on the team in scoring at 12.4 points per game. Anderson ranks second in rebounding (5.3) and second in assists (3.2).
• Anderson ranks 23rd all-time at Navy in career scoring (1,068) and is 15th in career assists (245).
• Lacey ranks third on the team in scoring (10.1) and is first in rebounding (5.5).
• Abdullah ranks fourth on the team in scoring (9.2), first in assists (3.3) and first in steals (2.6).
• For the third time this season and for the second straight week, Navy is receiving votes in the College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 Poll.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his seventh season at Navy.
• Columbia enters Sunday’s game at 1-8 after a 76-66 loss at home to Stony Brook on Thursday.
• Columbia led Stony Brook by 10 points at halftime, but was outscored 45-25 in the final 20 minutes.
• Columbia’s lone win this season was an 87-77 victory at Longwood on Nov. 14. Columbia has lost its last seven games.
• The Lions have had some close losses this season, including a two-point loss to Quinnipiac, a four-point loss to Albany and a four-point overtime loss to UConn this season.
• Sophomore guard Mike Smith scored 18 points with eight assists, while making four 3-pointers, against Stony Brook.
• Junior forward Lukas Meisner added 15 on Thursday.
• Smith is averaging a team-high 18.0 points and 4.6 assists.
• Meisner is averaging 13.1 points and a team-best 7.3 rebounds.
• Junior guard Quinton Adlesh is averaging 10.3 points, while senior guard Nate Hickman is averaging 9.2.
• Columbia was 11-16 overall last season and 5-9 in the Ivy League.
Series History vs. Columbia
• Columbia holds a 19-17 lead in the all-time series against Navy.
• The series began in 1908 and the teams most recently played last season.
• Navy earned a 69-54 win over Columbia in Annapolis last year on Dec. 9.
• Shawn Anderson scored a game-high 21 points with five rebounds and three assists for the Mids.
• Bryce Dulin scored 13 points with seven rebounds, while Tom Lacey scored 12 points with seven boards.
• Nate Hickman lead Columbia with 16 points, while Mike Smith tallied 15.
Looking Ahead: Break for Final Exams and then Hosting Lipscomb on Dec. 21
• Navy will have a 10-day break between games for final exams before hosting Lipscomb on Dec. 21.
• It will be the first meeting between Navy and Lipscomb.