Navy Looks for Third Straight Win at Lafayette Saturday
Navy (7-10, 2-3 PL) at Lafayette (6-10, 2-3 PL)
Saturday, January 14, 2017 | 2:00 PM (ET)
Easton, Pa. | Kirby Sports Center (3,500)
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV & 1500 AM WFED
TV: RCN / WBPH-60 in local Easton area
Live Video | Live Stats | Game Notes
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (7-10, 2-3 PL) will look to even its conference record at 3-3 when playing at Lafayette (6-10, 2-3 PL) on Saturday in the Kirby Sports Center at 2:00 PM. Saturday’s game will have free live video on PatriotLeague.TV and navysports.com and the game will be televised on RCN / WBPH-60 in the local Easton area. Pete Medhurst will have the Navy radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV in Annapolis and on 1500 AM WFED in Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia. Live statistics will also be available.
• After losing its first three Patriot League games this season, Navy has won back-to-back contests and can even its record at 3-3 with a win on Saturday.
• Navy defeated Colgate, 67-55, last Sunday and is coming off a 75-62 win at Loyola on Wednesday evening.
• Junior guard Shawn Anderson scored 15 points with seven rebounds, five assists and two steals against Loyola on Wednesday.
• Junior guard Bryce Dulin tallied 14 points and seven rebounds against Loyola and sophomore forward George Kiernan chipped in with 11 points off the bench and made three 3-pointers.
• The win at Loyola was Navy’s first win away from home this season.
• Navy is currently in a four-way tie for fifth place in the Patriot League at 2-3 after five league games.
• Anderson is leading Navy in scoring (11.7) and is second on the team in rebounds (5.1) and assists (2.7).
• Anderson ranks 45th in program history in career scoring with 742 points. Anderson is 13 points away from tying 1997 graduate Brian Walker for 44th place at 755 points.
• Kiernan as emerged as a key contributor after playing in just two games as a freshman in 2015-16.
• Kiernan is second on the team in scoring at 9.1 points per game.
• Junior forward Tom Lacey is third on the team in scoring at 8.1 points per game. Lacey ranks fourth in the Patriot League in overall rebounds per game (7.4) and is first in offensive rebounds per game (2.8).
• Lacey has nearly doubled his scoring (4.5) and rebounding averages (4.2) from his sophomore season last year.
• Lacey’s 7.4 rebounding average is the highest by a Navy player since Jordan Sugars averaged 8.0 rebounds in 2009-10, seven seasons ago.
• Sophomore point guard Hasan Abdullah is fourth on the team in scoring (6.9), first in assists per game (2.8) and first in steals per game (2.0).
• Abdullah ranks second in the Patriot League in steals per game (2.0) and is 11th in assists per game (2.8).
• Abdullah ranks 31st in the NCAA in total steals (34) and is 41st in steals per game (2.0).
• Senior center Edward Alade has started the last two games for Navy and is averaging 4.4 points and 3.8 rebounds in 17.2 minutes in Navy’s five conference games. Against Division I non-conference opponents, Alade averaged 2.2 points and 1.5 rebounds in 10.0 minutes.
• Alade is Navy’s active leader in career games played with 105.
• Junior backup point guard Nourse Fox has made 5-of-7 3-pointers in Navy’s last six games for a percentage of .714.
• Senior guard Zach Fong ranks 12th in program history with 124 career 3-pointers made.
• As a team, Navy ranks first in the Patriot League in rebounding margin (+3.9) and first in rebounds allowed per game (30.3).
• The Mids rank second in the conference in scoring defense (64.9.) and second in offensive rebounds per game (12.2).
• Navy has had 11 different players score in double figures in a game this season.
• Grant Vermeer has been nominated to the 2017 Allstate NABC Good Works Team.
• Navy is in its 26th season of Patriot League play.
• Navy’s all-time Patriot League record is 161-194 (.454).
• Lafayette enters Saturday’s game at 6-10 overall and 2-3 in the Patriot League.
• The Leopards are coming off a 71-48 loss at Holy Cross on Wednesday.
• Holy Cross outshot Lafayette 51 percent to 35 percent and Holy Cross had 13 steals and forced Lafayette into 19 turnovers.
• Holy Cross led by 20 points, 27-7, with 7:01 left in the first half and led by as many as 33 points in the second half.
• Junior forward Matt Klinewski led Lafayette with 14 points and seven rebounds against Holy Cross.
• Freshman guard Hunter Janacket had 11 points and four assists, while sophomore forward Paulius Zalys scored 10 points with seven rebounds.
• Klinewski leads Lafayette in scoring at 17.6 points per game and is first in rebounds at 6.2 per game.
• Klinewski has scored over 30 points three times this season. He scored 34 in a loss to Boston U. on Jan. 8 and scored 33 in a loss Colgate on Dec. 30.
• Klinewski is first in the Patriot League in scoring in conference only games at 23.0 points per game.
• Senior guard Nick Lindner is second on the team in scoring at 13.4 points per game and is first in assists (4.7).
• Lafayette ranks 10th in the league in scoring defense, giving up 77.6 points per game, and is last in scoring margin (-8.4).
• Lafayette’s conference wins came over Loyola and Army West Point, while falling to Colgate, Boston U. and Holy Cross.
• Fran O’Hanlon is in his 22nd season as Lafayette’s head coach.
Series History vs. Lafayette
• Navy has won three straight games against Lafayette and leads the all-time series, 46-32.
• Navy swept the season series against Lafayette last year and also defeated the Leopards in the Patriot League Tournament First Round.
• Navy posted a 26-point win (87-61) over Lafayette in the first meeting of the series in Annapolis on Jan. 16. Navy shot 56 percent from the floor and had 26 assists against just eight turnovers.
• Navy rallied from a 15-point first-half margin in a 74-68 win in Easton on Feb. 13.
• Navy’s third victory over Lafayette last year was a 78-70 win in the Patriot League Tournament First Round. Shawn Anderson scored 21 points in the victory.
• Lafayette holds a 19-12 lead in games played in Easton and a 11-5 edge in games played in the Kirby Sports Center.
• Navy will next host Lehigh (9-7, 3-2 PL) on Wednesday, Jan. 18.
• Lehigh was selected as the favorite in the Patriot League Preseason Poll.
• Lehigh hosts Holy Cross on Saturday.