Men’s Basketball to Play at Lehigh on Saturday Night
Navy (13-9, 4-5 PL) at Lehigh (8-12, 3-6 PL)
Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018 | 7:00 PM (ET)
Bethlehem, Pa. | Stabler Arena (5,610)
Live Video | Live Statistics | Game Notes
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (13-9, 4-5 PL) will look to compete the season sweep of Lehigh (8-12, 3-6 PL) on Saturday at 7:00 PM in Stabler Arena in Bethlehem. Navy defeated Lehigh earlier this season in Annapolis, 78-66.
The Navy-Lehigh game will have free live streaming video on the Patriot League Network and on navysports.com. Pete Medhurst will have the Navy radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV in Annapolis, Md. and on 1430wnav.com. The Navy-Lehigh game will also be televised on the Service Electric channel in the local Bethlehem area. Live statistics will also be available.
• Navy will seek to snap a two-game losing streak on Saturday evening.
• Navy fell to second-place Boston U. (75-68) and first-place Bucknell (87-67) in its last two games.
• Navy and Loyola are currently tied for fifth place in the Patriot League standings at 4-5.
• Bucknell went on a 21-4 run in the first half on Wednesday evening in Alumni Hall and the Mids were never able to get back within single digits.
• Senior guard Bryce Dulin scored a team-high 14 points, while senior Shawn Anderson added 13.
• Junior forward George Kiernan recorded his second double-double of the season with 10 points and a career-high 11 rebounds. Kiernan also set a career high with his five assists.
• Navy is beginning the second half of its 18-game Patriot League schedule on Saturday.
• Six of Navy’s last nine league games will be on the road, including four of its next five.
• Anderson leads Navy in scoring this season at 13.0 points per game.
• This is the third straight season Anderson has led the team in scoring. Prior to Anderson’s three-year streak (2016-18), 2015 graduate Worth Smith led Navy in scoring average in the three previous years (2013-15).
• Anderson ranks 19th at Navy in career scoring with 1,219 points. He is 20 points away from tying Erik Harris ‘91 for 18th place at 1,239 points.
• The team captain also ranks 12th at Navy in career assists (274), 10th in games played (116), 14th in games started (88), and 15th in minutes played (3,010).
• Anderson is one of just four players in school history to amass over 1,000 career points, 450 rebounds and 250 assists. The other three players are Kaleo Kina, Greg Sprink and Kylor Whitaker.
• Anderson was named to the All-Patriot League Second Team last season and also to the Patriot League All-Preseason Team prior to the 2017-18 season.
• Anderson is one of 30 candidates for the 2017-18 Senior CLASS Award.
• Anderson was one of 256 future surface warfare officers at the Naval Academy who took part in Ship Selection night on Thursday, Jan 25. Anderson picked the USS Pearl Harbor, a dock-landing ship based in San Diego.
• Dulin ranks second on the team in scoring at 11.0 points. He has scored over 20 points a team-best five times this season.
• Junior guard Hasan Abdullah is third on the team in scoring (10.0), first in assists (3.8) and first in steals (2.4).
• Abdullah’s 2.4 steals per game rank 17th in the NCAA and his 52 total steals rank seventh.
• Abdullah ranks 17th at Navy in career steals with 117.
• Kiernan is fourth on the team in scoring at 9.5 points per game.
• Kiernan ranks first in the Patriot League in free throw percentage in overall games (.845) and is second in conference only games (.837).
• He is averaging 12.8 points and 6.2 rebounds in Navy’s nine Patriot League games.
• Senior forward Tom Lacey ranks first on the team in rebounding (6.7) and fifth in scoring (9.1).
• He ranks fifth in the Patriot League in rebounding in overall games (6.7) and is second in conference only games (8.1).
• Lacey currently ranks 18th in program history in career rebounds with 549.
• He ranks seventh in career offensive rebounds (204) and 10th in defensive rebounds (345). The offensive and defensive school records date only back to 1986-87.
• Lacey’s career field goal percentage of .511 currently ranks as the 13th best in program history.
• Navy currently leads the Patriot League in scoring defense at 68.4 points allowed per game and first in rebounding margin (+5.1).
• This is the third straight season that Navy has led the Patriot League in rebounding margin.
• Navy ranks 10th in the conference in turnovers, giving up a league-high 14.6 turnovers a game.
• Navy is 11-0 when scoring at least 70 points this season and 2-9 when scoring under 70 points.
• Entering this season, Navy has increased its conference win total from the previous season for five straight years. Navy won 10 conference games last season in 2016-17.
• The streak of five straight years of increasing conference victories is tied with South Carolina (SEC) for the longest such active streak in the NCAA.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his seventh season at Navy. He won his 300th career game at Lafayette on Jan. 17.
• Lehigh enters Saturday’s game at 8-12 overall and 3-6 in the Patriot League.
• Lehigh is tied with Lafayette and Holy Cross for seventh place in the league standings.
• The Mountain Hawks are coming off a 91-88 double-overtime home loss to Loyola on Wednesday.
• Lehigh gave up a 17-point first-half lead in the contest. Loyola also rallied from 11 down in the final 4:37 of regulation.
• Freshman guard Marques Wilson scored 19 points with eight rebounds and five assists against Loyola.
• Senior guard Kahron Ross and junior guard Lance Tejada each scored 15 points in the contest.
• Sophomore forward Pat Andree tallied 11 points with eight rebounds.
• Lejada is leading Lehigh in scoring at 15.5 points per game. Tejada missed the first Navy-Lehigh game this season due to an injury.
• Tejada leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers made per game (3.3).
• Ross is second on the team in scoring at 12.2 points per game and first in assists (4.5).
• Andree is averaging 11.9 points.
• Lehigh is third in the Patriot League in scoring offense (76.2), but 10th in scoring defense (79.5).
• Head coach Brett Reed is in his 11th season at Lehigh.
Series History vs. Lehigh
• Navy holds a 47-31 lead in the all-time series against Lehigh.
• Navy is looking for its season sweep of the Mountain Hawks since 2009-10.
• Lehigh has won the last two meetings between the two schools played in Stabler Arena.
• Navy defeated Lehigh earlier this season in Annapolis on Jan. 2, 78-66.
• George Kiernan scored 27 points in the win, while Hasan Abdullah scored 17 and Cam Davis added 14.
Looking Ahead: Short Road Trip to American on Wednesday
• Navy will next make the short trip to Washington, D.C. to play at American on Wednesday.
• American is currently 5-15 overall and the Eagles sit in 10th place in the Patriot League standings at 2-7.
• Navy defeated American in the first meeting between the two schools this season in Annapolis on Jan. 5, 70-64.
• American is playing at Colgate this Saturday.