Men’s Hoops to Play at American Wednesday Night
Navy (14-9, 5-5 PL) at American (6-16, 2-8 PL)
Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018 | 7:00 PM (ET)
Washington, D.C. | Bender Arena (4,500)
Live Video | Live Statistics | Game Notes
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (14-9, 5-5 PL) will seek a second straight win and will also look to complete the season sweep of American (5-16, 2-8 PL) on Wednesday at 7 PM at Bender Arena in Washington, D.C. The Mids defeated the Eagles in Annapolis on Jan. 5, 70-64.
The Navy-American game will have free live streaming video on the Patriot League Network and on navysports.com. Pete Medhurst and Michael Heary will have the Navy radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV in Annapolis, Md. and on 1430wnav.com. Live statistics will also be available.
• Navy (14-9, 5-5 PL) is coming off a 77-75 win at Lehigh on Saturday.
• Senior guard Shawn Anderson scored four points in the final 45 seconds to lead Navy back from a three-point deficit.
• Anderson recorded team-highs of 16 points, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals in the game.
• Senior forward Tom Lacey posted 12 points, five rebounds and three assists with two dunks.
• Senior guard Bryce Dulin tallied 12 points with four rebounds, four assists, three steals and three drawn charges. Sophomore center Evan Wieck scored 13 points with four rebounds and freshman guard Cam Davis scored 10 points and five Mids scored in double figures.
• Junior point guard Hasan Abdullah missed the Lehigh game with an injury. Senior guard Nourse Fox and Davis filled in at the point guard position and helped Navy post 20 assists against 11 turnovers.
• Navy completed a season sweep of the Mountain Hawks for the first time since the 2009-10 season.
• Navy improved to 12-0 this season when scoring at least 70 points. Navy has won the last 23 games in which it scored at least 70 points.
• Navy is currently with Loyola and Army West Point for fourth place in the Patriot League standings at 5-5.
• Navy will be playing it second straight road game at American on Wednesday. Navy is currently in the midst of a stretch of playing four out of five games on the road.
• Anderson leads Navy in scoring this season at 13.0 points per game.
• This is the third straight season Anderson has led the team in scoring. Prior to Anderson’s three-year streak (2016-18), 2015 graduate Worth Smith led Navy in scoring average in the three previous years (2013-15).
• Anderson has scored at least 300 points in each of the last three seasons. He has 303 points this season.
• Anderson ranks 19th at Navy in career scoring with 1,235 points. He is four points away from tying Erik Harris ‘91 for 18th place at 1,239 points and five away from tying John Tolmie ‘69 for 17th place at 1,240.
• Anderson also ranks 12th at Navy in career assists (279), ninth in games played (117), 14th in games started (89), and 14th in minutes played (3,042).
• Anderson is one of just four players in school history to amass over 1,000 career points, 450 rebounds and 250 assists. The other three players are Kaleo Kina, Greg Sprink and Kylor Whitaker.
• Anderson was named to the All-Patriot League Second Team last season and also to the Patriot League All-Preseason Team prior to the 2017-18 season.
• Anderson is one of 30 candidates for the 2017-18 Senior CLASS Award.
• Anderson was one of 256 future surface warfare officers at the Naval Academy who took part in Ship Selection night on Thursday, Jan 25. Anderson picked the USS Pearl Harbor, a dock-landing ship based in San Diego.
• Dulin ranks second on the team in scoring at 11.1 points. He has scored over 20 points a team-best five times this season.
• Abdullah is third on the team in scoring (10.0), first in assists (3.8) and first in steals (2.4).
• Abdullah’s 2.4 steals per game rank 14th in the NCAA and his 52 total steals rank ninth.
• Abdullah ranks 17th at Navy in career steals with 117.
• Junior forward George Kiernan is fourth on the team in scoring at 9.4 points per game.
• Kiernan ranks second in the Patriot League in free throw percentage in overall games (.845) and is fourth in conference only games (.837).
• Lacey ranks first on the team in rebounding (6.6) and fifth in scoring (9.2).
• He ranks fifth in the Patriot League in rebounding in overall games (6.6) and is also fifth in conference only games (7.8).
• Lacey ranks 17th in program history in career rebounds with 554. He is two rebounds away from tying Will Kelly ‘16 for 16th place with 556 and four away from tying Wes Cooper ‘95 for 15th at 558.
• Lacey ranks seventh in career offensive rebounds (206) and 10th in defensive rebounds (348). The offensive and defensive school records date back to 1986-87.
• Lacey’s career field goal percentage of .511 currently ranks as the 13th best in program history.
• He also ranks 18th in school history in career games started (84).
• Navy currently leads the Patriot League in scoring defense at 68.7 points allowed per game, offensive rebounds per game (11.0) and rebounding margin (+5.0).
• This is the third straight season that Navy has led the Patriot League in rebounding margin.
• Navy ranks 10th in the conference in turnovers, giving up a league-high 14.4 turnovers a game.
• However, Navy is averaging 10.5 turnovers in its last two games.
• Entering this season, Navy has increased its conference win total from the previous season for five straight years. Navy won 10 conference games last season in 2016-17.
• The streak of five straight years of increasing conference victories is tied with South Carolina (SEC) for the longest such active streak in the NCAA.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his seventh season at Navy. He won his 300th career game at Lafayette on Jan. 17.
• American enters Wednesday’s game in last place in the Patriot League at 2-8.
• American’s two league wins came over Loyola (76-65) and Boston U. (69-58).
• The Eagles fell at Colgate on Saturday in their most recent game, 83-69.
• Sophomore guard Sa’eed Nelson is averaging a team-best 18.0 points and 4.8 assists.
• Nelson ranks second in the Patriot League in both scoring and assists, while ranking first in minutes played per game (36.8).
• Junior guard Larry Motuzis is averaging 15.1 points, while freshman forward Sam Iorio is averaging 13.1 points and a team-high 6.7 rebounds.
• Nelson, Motuzis and Iorio have combined to scored 69 percent of American’s points this season.
• Nelson and Iorio each scored 24 points in American’s game at Colgate on Saturday.
• Head coach Mike Brennan is in his fifth season at American.
Series History vs. American
• American leads the all-time series against Navy, 46-41.
• Navy defeated American earlier this season in Annapolis on Jan. 5, 70-64.
• Bryce Dulin scored 23 points and went 7-of-8 on 3-pointers in the game.
• Duiln’s seven 3-pointers were tied for the eighth-most in a single game in program history.
• Evan Wieck scored 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting and Hasan Abdullah scored 11 points with six assists.
• Navy led by 17 points in the game, but American rallied to cut the margin to three points before the Mids held on for the win.
• Navy and American split the season series in 2016-17.
• Navy won at Bender Arena on Jan. 25, 71-53.
• Five players scored in double figures for the Mids, while Tom Lacey had 14 points and 15 rebounds (10 offensive).
• Navy’s win at Bender Arena last season was its first in the building since 2008.
• Navy will be looking for its first season sweep of American since the 2007-08 season.
Looking Ahead: Navy to Host Colgate in CBS Sports Network-Televised Game Sunday
• Navy will next host Colgate (12-9, 7-3 PL) on Sunday at 12 noon.
• The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
• Colgate is currently tied for second place in the Patriot League with Boston U.
• Colgate is at Lafayette on Wednesday.
• American is playing at Colgate this Saturday.
• The Raiders defeated the Mids earlier this season in Hamilton, N.Y., 70-62.