Men’s Basketball to Play at Holy Cross Wednesday Night
Navy (15-10, 6-6 PL) at Holy Cross (8-15, 5-7 PL)
Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018 | 7:00 PM (ET)
Worcester, Mass. | Hart Center (3,536)
Live Video | Live Statistics | Game Notes
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (15-10, 6-6 PL) will play at Holy Cross (8-15, 5-7 PL) on Wednesday at 7:00 PM at the Hart Center. Navy will look to win a fourth consecutive Patriot League road game.
The Navy-Holy Cross game will have free live video on the Patriot League Network and on navysports.com. Pete Medhurst will have the Navy basketball radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV and 1430wnav.com. Live statistics will also be available.
• Navy enters Wednesday’s game tied for fourth place with Army West Point at 6-6 in the Patriot League.
• The Mids are coming off a 69-64 loss to Colgate on Sunday afternoon in Alumni Hall.
• Navy led by eight points with 10 minutes left in the game, but Colgate used a late 22-8 run to rally back.
• Colgate also rallied from a 10-point deficit to beat Navy in Hamilton, N.Y. earlier this season.
• Navy senior forward Tom Lacey scored a team-high 13 points with nine rebounds and four assists against Colgate on Sunday.
• Senior guard Bryce Dulin scored 12 points, while sophomore center Evan Wieck tallied 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting and also had seven rebounds.
• Junior point guard Hasan Abdullah returned from a two-game injury absence and scored nine points with three assists.
• Freshman guard Cam Davis added seven points, while senior guard Shawn Anderson had six points, a career-best nine assists and six rebounds.
• Navy lost its fourth straight home game on Sunday.
• However, Navy has won three straight road games.
• Navy is in the middle of a stretch of playing four out of five games on the road.
• Navy is 3-4 at home during Patriot League play and 3-2 on the road.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis has led Navy to a record of 50-40 (.556) since the beginning of the 2015-16 season, which is the program’s best three-year winning percentage since 1999-01, when Don DeVoe led Navy to a 62-25 record (.713) over three years.
• Anderson is currently the only player in the Patriot League to rank in the top-15 in the conference in scoring (13.2, 14th), rebounding (5.3, 13th) and assists (3.3, 7th).
• Anderson is leading Navy in scoring for the third straight season at 13.2 points per game.
• Anderson ranks 17th at Navy in career scoring with 1,261 points. He is 12 points away from tying Kylor Whitaker ‘86 for 16th place at 1,273 career points.
• Anderson also ranks 12th in career assists (293), 12th in free throws made (312), 10th in free throw attempts (458), eighth in games played (119), 12th in games started (91) and 13th in minutes played (3,114).
• Anderson is one of just four players in school history to amass over 1,000 career points, 450 rebounds and 250 assists. The other three players are Kaleo Kina, Greg Sprink and Kylor Whitaker.
• Anderson is seven assists and five rebounds away from becoming the first player in school history to collect over 1,000 career points, 500 career rebounds and 300 career assists.
• Anderson was named to the All-Patriot League Second Team last season and also to the Patriot League All-Preseason Team prior to the 2017-18 season.
• Anderson is one of 30 candidates for the 2017-18 Senior CLASS Award.
• Anderson was one of 256 future surface warfare officers at the Naval Academy who took part in Ship Selection night on Jan 25. Anderson picked the USS Pearl Harbor, a dock-landing ship based in San Diego.
• Dulin ranks second on the team in scoring at 10.8 points per game.
• Abdullah is third in scoring at 10.0 points per game.
• Abdullah leads Navy in assists (3.8) and steals (2.3). He leads the Patriot League and ranks 14th in the NCAA in steals per game (2.3). He also ranks 18th in the NCAA in total steals (53).
• Abdullah ranks 17th at Navy in career steals with 114.
• Junior forward George Kiernan ranks fourth on the team in scoring at 9.5 points per game.
• Kiernan had three double-doubles in the month of January.
• Kiernan is averaging 7.1 rebounds over the last nine games after averaging 3.1 rebounds for the first 16 games of the season.
• Lacey ranks fourth on the team in scoring (9.1) and is first in rebounding (6.6).
• Lacey ranks third in the Patriot League in rebounds per game (6.6).
• Lacey ranks 15th at Navy in career rebounds with 567.
• Lacey is also sixth in career offensive rebounds (210) and ninth in defensive rebounds (357). The offensive and defensive school records date back to 1986-87.
• Lacey’s career field goal percentage of .514 currently ranks as the 13th best in program history.
• He also ranks 16th in school history in career games started (86).
• Wieck is averaging 6.2 points and is shooting 66.7 percent from the field.
• Davis is averaging 5.0 points in his freshman season. Davis’ season 3-point field goal percentage of 40.8% ranks as the second-best by a freshman in school history.
• Senior guard Nourse Fox has started the last three games after Abdullah suffered an injury against Bucknell. Fox has played in 98 career games.
• Navy is 12-0 this season when scoring at least 70 points. Navy has won the last 23 games in which it scored at least 70 points.
• Navy currently leads the Patriot League in scoring defense at 67.7 points allowed per game, offensive rebounds per game (11.0) and rebounding margin (+5.5).
• This is the third straight season that Navy has led the Patriot League in rebounding margin.
• Entering this season, Navy has increased its conference win total from the previous season for five straight years. Navy won 10 conference games last season in 2016-17.
• The streak of five straight years of increasing conference victories is tied with South Carolina (SEC) for the longest such active streak in the NCAA.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his seventh season at Navy. He won his 300th career game at Lafayette on Jan. 17.
Holy Cross Storylines
• Holy Cross enters Wednesday’s game at 8-15 overall and 5-7 in the Patriot League.
• The Crusaders are in a three-way tie for sixth place in the league standings at 5-7 with Lehigh and Loyola.
• Holy Cross has won three of its last four games.
• The Crusaders defeated American (60-57) and Lafayette (85-74) before falling to Lehigh (71-67).
• Holy Cross then defeated Loyola on Saturday, 73-57.
• All five starters scored in double figures in the win at Loyola.
• Freshman forward Jacob Grandison scored 21 points and junior center Jehyve Floyd scored 14.
• Freshman guard Caleb Green and junior forward Karl Charles each scored 12 points, while freshman guard Austin Butler posted 10 points and a team-high seven rebounds.
• Floyd leads Holy Cross in scoring this season at 11.8 points. He also averages a team-best 5.7 rebounds.
• Floyd ranks first in the Patriot League and fifth in the NCAA in field goal percentage (.686). He also leads the league in blocked shots per game (1.9).
• Charles is averaging 10.2 points, while Butler averages 9.0 and Green is at 8.9.
• Holy Cross ranks second to only Navy in the Patriot League in scoring defense at 68.9 points allowed per game.
Series History vs. Holy Cross
• Navy has won three straight games against the Crusaders (and five of seven) and won the first meeting of this season on Jan. 11 in Annapolis in overtime, 61-56.
• Navy opened the overtime period on a 7-0 run to take control.
• George Kiernan scored a game-high 13 points with five rebounds and two steals.
• Bryce Dulin tallied 10 points with five assists, and Hasan Abdullah scored 10 points with three assists.
• Navy defeated Holy Cross in the second meeting of the 2016-17 season in Annapolis, 60-47, and then posted a 49-42 win in the 2017 Patriot League Tournament Quarterfinals in Alumni Hall.
• All three games of Navy’s current three-game winning streak in the series were in Annapolis.
• Holy Cross has defeated Navy nine straight times at the Hart Center.
• Navy’s last win at the Hart Center came on Jan. 23, 2008 (85-74).
• Navy is 1-18 in its last 19 games at Holy Cross, as the Mids had another nine-game losing streak at Holy Cross prior to the 2008 win.
• Navy has been very close to winning at Holy Cross over the last two seasons. The Mids lost by one point (51-50) in their last game at the Hart Center on Jan. 2, 2017.
• Navy fell in overtime, 87-80, in the previous season at Holy Cross on Jan. 30, 2016.
• Holy Cross leads the all-time series against Navy, 42-23.
Looking Ahead: Army-Navy Star Game Set for Saturday on CBS Sports Network
• Navy will next play at Army West Point in the 2018 Army-Navy Star Game on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 1:30 pm.
• The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
• Army defeated Navy earlier this season in Annapolis on Jan. 14, 64-62.
• Navy has won five straight games at Christl Arena.
• Army won the 2017 Star Game in Annapolis, 71-68.