Men’s Hoops Travels to Bucknell for Wednesday Contest
Navy (19-10, 10-6 PL) at Bucknell (20-9, 14-2 PL)
Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018 | 7:00 PM (ET)
Lewisburg, Pa. | Sojka Pavilion (4,000)
Live Video | Live Statistics | Game Notes
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (19-10, 10-6 PL) takes a four-game overall winning streak and a six-game road winning streak to first-place Bucknell (20-9, 14-2 PL) for a 7:00 PM tip on Wednesday at Sojka Pavilion. Navy will be on the road for the fourth time in its last five outings.
Navy is tied for second place in the Patriot League with Colgate at 10-6, but the Mids are currently the No. 3 seed due to the league tiebreaker. Bucknell has already clinched the No. 1 seed for the upcoming Patriot League Tournament.
Wednesday’s game will have free live video on the Patriot League Network and navysports.com. Pete Medhurst will have the Navy basketball radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV and 1430wnav.com. Live statistics will be available.
• Navy (19-10, 10-6 PL) has already clinched a top-six seed for the Patriot League Tournament and will receive a bye into the quarterfinal round (Thursday, March 1 against an opponent and at a site yet to be determined).
• Navy needs one win in its last two games or one loss by Lehigh or Boston in their last two games to clinch a top-four seed and a home game in the quarterfinal round.
• Navy has won six of its last seven games.
• Navy is one win away from winning 20 games in a season for the first time since 2000 (23-6).
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is also one win away from winning 20 games at a third different school (East Tennessee State and Penn State).
• Navy’s 19 wins currently rank as the ninth-most in a single season in school history.
• Navy has won 10 Patriot League games in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 1997 and 1998 seasons.
• Entering this season, Navy has increased its conference win total from the previous season for five straight years. Navy won 10 conference games last season in 2016-17.
• The streak of five straight years of increasing conference victories is tied with South Carolina (SEC) for the longest such active streak in the NCAA.
• One more league win would have Navy increasing its conference win total for the sixth straight year from the previous season and would give the Mids the longest active streak in the NCAA, as South Carolina’s streak has ended this season.
• Navy has won each of its last six true road games. Navy’s last six-game road winning streak came during the 1994-95 season.
• Navy is one win shy from tying the 1984-85 team’s program record of seven-straight true road wins in a single season.
• Navy’s six-game road winning streak is tied for the sixth-longest active streak in the NCAA. Old Dominion and Vermont are tied for the longest road game winning streak in the country at eight games.
• Navy is coming off a 2-0 week, earning a 71-69 win over Lafayette on Wednesday and a 62-48 win at Boston U. on Saturday.
• In the game against Boston, five Mids scored in double figures with senior Shawn Anderson and junior Hasan Abdullah leading the way with 13 points apiece.
• Junior forward Mo Lewis scored a career-high 12 points and had a career-best eight rebounds.
• Lewis was 4-of-5 from the field and 4-of-4 at the free throw line.
• Lewis entered the game averaging 2.0 points and 1.7 rebounds. Lewis saw an increased role due to the injury absence of George Kiernan.
• Senior forward Tom Lacey scored 12 points with six rebounds against Boston.
• Senior guard Bryce Dulin was the fifth player in double figures with 10 points to go along with six rebounds.
• The 48 points allowed by Navy was the lowest in the 12-game series history with Boston.
• Anderson was named the Patriot League Player of the Week for his efforts against Lafayette (28 points) and Boston U. last week.
• Additionally, Anderson is one of just seven active players in the NCAA with over 1,300 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists (Bogdan Bliznyuk-Eastern Washington; Divine Myles-Stetson; Jahad Thomas-UMass-Lowell; Vince Edwards-Purdue; John Konchar-IPFW; Jevon Carter-West Virginia).
• Anderson is currently the only player in the Patriot League to rank in the top-15 in the conference in scoring (13.7, 13th), rebounding (5.4, 14th) and assists (3.4, 8th).
• Anderson is leading Navy in scoring for the third straight season at 13.7 points per game.
• Dulin ranks second on the team in scoring at 10.7 points per game.
• Dulin has scored in double figures 18 times this year and has had at least 20 points in five games.
• Abdullah ranks third on the team in scoring (9.6) and is first in assists (3.5) and steals (2.1).
• Abdullah ranks second in the Patriot League in steals per game (2.1) and is seventh in assists (3.5).
• Abdullah also ranks 20th in the NCAA in steals per game (2.1) and is 21st in total steals (58).
• Abdullah ranks 13th at Navy in career steals with 119.
• His 58 steals this season ranks as the ninth-most in a single season in program history. Abdullah had 60 steals last year as a sophomore and that total ranks as the fifth-most in a single season in program history.
• Junior forward George Kiernan is fourth on the team in scoring at 9.3 points per game. Kiernan missed the Boston game due to an injury.
• Lacey ranks fifth on the team in scoring (9.0) and is first in rebounding (6.6).
• Lacey ranks fifth in the Patriot League in rebounds per game (6.6) and is fourth in offensive rebounds per game (2.0).
• Lacey’s career field goal percentage of .517 currently ranks as the 13th best in program history.
• He also ranks 15th in school history in career games started (89).
• Head coach Ed DeChellis has led Navy to a record of 54-40 (.574) since the beginning of the 2015-16 season, which is the program’s best three-year winning percentage since 1999-01, when Don DeVoe led Navy to a 62-25 record (.713) over three years.
• The 54 wins since 2015-16 is the eighth-highest total in a three-year span in program history.
• Navy currently leads the Patriot League in scoring defense at 65.6 points allowed per game, offensive rebounds per game (10.9) and rebounding margin (+6.2).
• This is the third straight season that Navy has led the Patriot League in rebounding margin.
• Navy currently ranks 26th in the NCAA in rebounding margin (+6.2) and 30th in scoring defense (65.6).
• Navy has outrebounded its opponent in 15 straight games and in 20 of its last 21.
• Navy has held its opponents to an average of 53.8 points over its last six games.
• Navy’s NCAA rank in scoring defense has gone from 88th to 30th during that span.
• Navy is 13-0 this season when scoring at least 70 points. Navy has won the last 24 games in which it scored at least 70 points.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his seventh season at Navy. He won his 300th career game at Lafayette on Jan. 17.
Bucknell University Storylines
• Bucknell (20-9, 14-2 PL) has already clinched its fourth-straight Patriot League Regular Season Championship.
• Bucknell is 13-1 in its last 14 games and has won three games in a row.
• The Bison are coming off a 68-67 overtime win over Holy Cross on Saturday.
• Bucknell outscored Holy Cross 2-1 in the overtime period.
• Senior center Nana Foulland scored 21 points with nine rebounds in the win over Holy Cross.
• Senior forward Zach Thomas tallied 15 points with seven rebounds and senior guard Stephen Brown scored 15 points.
• Thomas leads the team in both scoring (21.1 ppg) and rebounding (9.3). He also leads the Patriot League in both categories.
• Thomas leads the NCAA in free throw attempts this season. He is 207-of-267 (.775) at the free throw line.
• Foulland is second on the team in scoring (15.6) and second in rebounding (7.0). Foulland ranks fifth in the Patriot League in scoring and is third in rebounding.
• Brown is averaging 14.1 points and 4.4 assists.
• Bucknell leads the Patriot League in scoring offense (80.6), scoring margin (+6.0), field goal percentage (.463) and blocked shots per game (4.2).
• As a team, Bucknell is fourth in the NCAA in free throws made (515) and third in free throw attempts (712).
• Bucknell won the 2017 Patriot League Tournament Championship. The Bison were a No. 13 seed in the NCAA Tournament and fell to No. 4 West Virginia in the first round, 86-80.
• Head coach Nathan Davis is in his third season as the head coach at Bucknell.
• Davis served as an assistant coach at Navy from 1998-2003.
Series History vs. Bucknell
• Bucknell leads the all-time series against Navy, 42-35.
• Bucknell has won nine-straight games in the series.
• Navy’s last win in the series was a 62-61 victory in Annapolis on Jan. 15, 2014.
• Bucknell has won 10-straight games in Sojka Pavilion.
• Navy’s last win at Bucknell was a 69-67 win on Jan. 9, 2010.
• Bucknell defeated Navy in the first meeting between the two schools this season in Annapolis on Jan. 24, 87-67.
Looking Ahead: Navy to Host Loyola on Saturday on Senior Day
• Navy will host Loyola (8-19, 6-10 PL) on Saturday at 2 PM in its regular-season finale.
• The game on Saturday will be Senior Day for Navy’s four-member Class of 2018.
• Loyola defeated Navy in Baltimore in the first meeting this season on Dec. 29, 72-63.
• Saturday’s Navy-Loyola game will be televised on the CBS Sports Network.