Navy to Play at Bucknell Sunday in Patriot League Semifinals
Patriot League Tournament Semifinals
#4 Navy (16-15, 10-8 PL) at #1 Bucknell (24-8, 15-3 PL)
Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM (ET)
Lewisburg, Pa. | Sojka Pavilion (4,000)
TV: CBS Sports Network
Navy Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV
Live Stats | Game Notes | Buy Tickets ($14 / $7)
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The fourth-seeded Navy men’s basketball team (16-15, 10-8 PL) will play at top-seeded Bucknell (24-8, 15-3 PL) in the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals on Sunday at 2:00 PM in Sojka Pavilion. Navy is making its first tournament semifinal appearance since 2001.
Sunday’s semifinal contest will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network with Jason Knapp and Doug Gottlieb calling the action. Pete Medhurst will have the Navy radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV in Annapolis. Due to the national TV broadcast, there will not be live streaming video. Live statistics will be available.
• No. 4 Navy defeated No. 5 Holy Cross, 49-42, in the Patriot League Quarterfinals on Thursday in Alumni Hall to advance to its first Patriot League Semifinal game since 2001.
• Navy is 6-0 all-time in Patriot League Semifinal games.
• Sophomore George Kiernan made the go-ahead 3-pointer with 29.2 seconds remaining and them made two free throws to help Navy seal the win against Holy Cross.
• Kiernan matched his career-high of 18 points against Holy Cross and also pulled down a career-best nine rebounds.
• Navy held Holy Cross to just 12 points in the first half and Navy led 19-12 at the break.
• The 42 points were the fewest allowed by Navy this season.
• Navy finished in sole possession of fourth place this season at 10-8 and under head coach Ed DeChellis, Navy increased its conference win total for the fifth straight season.
• Navy’s 10 league wins were the most since going 11-1 in the Patriot League in 2000.
• Junior guard Shawn Anderson, an All-Patriot League Second Team honoree, leads Navy in scoring at 11.9 points per game. Anderson is second on the team in rebounding (4.4), assists (3.0) and steals (1.2).
• Junior guard Bryce Dulin, a Patriot League All-Defensive Team honoree, is second on the team in scoring at 9.1 points per game.
• Dulin shot a Patriot League best .490 on 3-pointers during conference play this season.
• Sophomore point guard Hasan Abdullah ranks third on the team in scoring (8.9) and is first in 3-pointers made (48), assists per game (3.3), steals per game (1.9) and minutes played (28.4).
• Abdullah ranks 24th in the NCAA in total steals (59) and also ranks seventh for most steals in a single season at Navy.
• Kiernan is fourth on the team in scoring at 8.7 points per game and is second in 3-pointers made (45).
• Junior forward Tom Lacey leads Navy in rebounding (7.7) and is fifth in scoring (7.7).
• Lacey ranks third in the Patriot League in overall rebounds and is first in offensive rebounds per game (3.0).
• Lacey ranks 41st in the NCAA in offensive rebounds per game (3.0).
• Lacey’s 94 offensive rebounds this season rank as the fourth most in a single season at Navy since the statistic was consistently tracked in 1987. He is also 12th in defensive rebounds (144) since 1987.
• Lacey’s 238 overall rebounds rank as the 17th most all-time in school history.
• Senior center Edward Alade ranks seventh in school history in career games played with 119.
• Navy ranks 24th in the NCAA in offensive rebounds per game (13.0), 25th in scoring defense (64.0), 29th in turnovers forced (15.5) and 36th in rebounding margin (+5.5).
• Navy ranks first in the Patriot League in rebounding margin (+5.5) and offensive rebounds per game (13.0). Navy is second in the conference in scoring defense (64.0) and second in turnover margin (+0.9).
• Navy has had 12 different players score in double figures in a game this season.
• Bucknell (24-8, 15-3 PL) is the No. 1 seed and outright Patriot League Regular Season Champion.
• The Bison defeated No. 8 Army West Point, 78-62, on Thursday in the quarterfinals in Sojka Pavilion.
• Stephen Brown led four starters in double figures with 20 points and six assists.
• Zach Thomas scored 14 points with seven rebounds and five assists.
• Nana Foulland posted a double-double with 13 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks, while Kimbal Mackenzie tallied 13 points.
• Foulland is the Patriot League Player of the Year and the Defensive Player of the Year.
• Foulland and Thomas represented Bucknell on the All-Patriot League First Team, while Brown was named to the second team and Mackenzie was named to the third team.
• Thomas leads Navy in scoring at 15.8 points per game and averages 6.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists.
• Foulland averages 14.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.1 blocks.
• Mackenzie averages 11.5 points, while Brown averages 11.1 points and 4.8 assists.
• Bucknell leads the Patriot League in scoring offense (76.2), scoring margin (+8.7) and blocked shots per game (3.7).
• Bucknell has an RPI ranking of 70 and a KenPom ranking of 80. The Bison are ranked 22nd in the College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 Poll.
• Bucknell’s second-year head coach Nathan Davis was recently named the Patriot League Coach of the Year for the second straight season.
• Davis previously served as an assistant coach at Navy (1998-2003) and he had a one-year stint as an assistant at Colgate in 2008-09 under current Navy assistant and former Colgate head coach Emmett Davis.
Series History vs. Bucknell
• Bucknell went 2-0 against Navy in the regular season and posted an 82-60 win over the Mids last Saturday (Feb. 25) in the regular season finale in Sojka Pavilion.
• Navy played much better in the game in Annapolis on Dec. 30 as Bucknell led for just 3:38 in the contest, but the Biston were able to rally from a 13-point deficit to take a 59-55 win in Alumni Hall.
• Bucknell pulled ahead of Navy in the game’s opening three minutes and did not regain the lead until the 1:13 mark in the second half. Navy led for 35 minutes in the game.
• Bucknell outscored Navy 36-23 in the second half and 10-2 in the final 2:30 of the contest.
• Mackenzie scored a game-high 22 points, while Foulland tallied 12 points and 12 rebounds. Mackenzie sealed the win with two free throws with seven seconds left to extend Bucknell’s margin to four points.
• Anderson tallied 12 points and eight rebounds for Navy. Abdullah and Evan Wieck each scored nine points, while Kiernan added eight points off the bench.
• Abdullah scored 18 points in the game at Bucknell last weekend, but the Mids couldn’t overcome a 25-0 Bucknell run early in the first half.
• Bucknell holds 40-35 lead in the all-time series against Navy.
• Bucknell has won seven straight games in the series and nine straight games in Sojka Pavilion. Navy’s last win at Bucknell was in 2010.
• Navy and Bucknell will be meeting for the eighth time in Patriot League Tournament play.
• Bucknell is 4-3 against Navy in the tournament, most recently beating the Mids 58-42 in the quarterfinals in 2013.
• Navy’s last win against Bucknell in the postseason was an 88-64 win in the semifinals in 2001, which was Navy’s last semifinal appearance.
• In 2008, seventh-seeded Bucknell upset second-seeded Navy, 87-86, in triple overtime in the quarterfinals in Alumni Hall.
• The winners of the Patriot League Semifinal matchups of Navy-Bucknell and Lehigh-Boston U. will play at the highest remaining seed in the Patriot League Championship on Wednesday, March 8 at 7:30 PM.