Men's Basketball to Face Saint Francis U on Monday
Nov. 10, 2013
Navy (0-1) at Saint Francis U (0-1)
Monday, November 11, 2013 | 7:00 PM (ET)
Johnstown, Pa. | Cambria County War Memorial (4,400)
Navy Game Notes
Radio: WNAV (1430 AM, 99.9 FM, wnav.com); WFED (1500 AM)
Live Video | Live Statistics | Live Radio | Twitter Updates
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Navy will look for its first win of the season Monday at Saint Francis U at 7:00 PM in Johnstown, Pa. Navy (0-1) opened its season on Friday with a 72-45 loss at Towson, while the Red Flash (0-1) fell at Fordham, 87-67, in their opener. Monday's game, which is being played on Veterans Day, will be held at the Cambria County War Memorial, 30 miles from Saint Francis' campus in Loretto.
Monday's game will be aired in the Annapolis and Washington, D.C. area on WNAV (1430 AM; 99.9 FM; wnav.com) and WFED (1500 AM) with Pete Medhurst on the play-by-play. Free live video and live statistics will be available on navysports.com.
* Navy is coming off a 72-45 loss to Towson last Friday in its season opener.
* The game was the first hoops game played in the brand new SECU Arena and 4,262 fans were in attendance.
* Sophomore guard Kendall Knorr led Navy with nine points, six rebounds and three assists.
* Junior guard Kevin Alter and sophomore forward Will Kelly scored eight points each. Alter's eight points came in just nine minutes.
* Sophomore point guard Tilman Dunbar had six points, three assists, one turnover and one steal while playing a game-high 30 minutes.
* Navy used 16 different players in the season opener at Towson.
* Navy started Tilman Dunbar, Brandon Venturini, Kendall Knorr, Worth Smith and Will Kelly against Towson. It was the first time those five have started together.
* Navy returned all five starters from a year ago and welcomed nine newcomers.
* Navy has made at least one three-pointer in 306 consecutive games.
* Navy has an all-time record of 1,306-965 (.575).
* This is the 107th season of men's basketball at the Naval Academy.
Saint Francis U Storylines
* Saint Francis U suffered a 20-point loss (87-67) at Fordham on Friday night in its season opener.
* Junior forward Earl Brown led the Red Flash with 15 points by shooting 6-of-7 from the field.
* Sophomore forward Stephon Mosely added 14 points.
* SFU was outscored by Fordham, 45-27, in the first half, but only 42-40 in the second.
* Brown is SFU's top returning scorer from last year after averaging 10.1 points.
*Head coach Rob Krimmel enters his second season as the head coach at Saint Francis U. He was 5-24 in his first season.
Navy-Saint Francis U Series History
* Monday's game will be the fourth all-time meeting between Navy and Saint Francis U and the first since 1980.
* Navy leads the all-time series, 2-1.
* Navy won the first meeting in Annapolis in 1978, 69-60, before falling SFU in 1979, 52-51.
* Navy defeated SFU, 75-62, in Hampton, Va. In the 1980 ECAC Tournament.
* Towson (1-0) opened its brand new SECU Arena with a 72-45 win over Navy (0-1) in front of 4,262 fans on Friday evening. Towson, the CAA preseason favorite, had four players in double figures and limited Navy to just 31 percent shooting from the floor (19-of-61).
* Towson's Rafriel Guthrie scored a game-high 16 points off the bench and the 2013 CAA Player of the Year Jerrelle Benimom grabbed 17 rebounds. Guard Four McGlynn tallied 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting from beyond the arc.
*Towson took advantage of Navy's early foul trouble as starters Worth Smith and Brandon Venturini both picked up two fouls in the opening five minutes. Towson led by two at 9-7 eight minutes in and then increased its lead to 29-15 midway through the first half with a 10-0 run that was keyed by three McGlynn three-pointers in a 1:47 span.
* Navy bounced back with a 6-0 run of its own. After a Will Kelly layup, James Loupos blocked a Towson layup and then finished a fast break layup of his own. After a Towson miss on its next possession Kelly scored again to cut the deficit to 29-21 and prompted a Towson timeout. The Tigers then regained their form to close the period on a 10-2 run and take a 39-23 lead into the break.
*Towson shot 58.3 percent in the first half (14-of-24), while Navy was 35.7 percent from the floor (10-of-28).
*In the first 70 seconds of the second half, Smith picked up his third and fourth fouls while Towson scored the first four points of the period.
*Towson then slowly built up its lead while Navy struggled through a 6:33 stretch without making a field goal before guard Kevin Alter hit a three-pointer with 10:50 remaining. McGlynn's fifth three of the game with 2:27 remaining put Towson up by 31 at 72-41, its biggest lead of the game, before a Smith dunk and a Payne Andrus layup brought the final score to 72-45.
*Navy shot just 3-of-19 on three-pointers (15.8 percent) while Towson was 8-of-19 (42.1 percent). Towson also held a 46-33 rebounding edge and an 8-3 advantage in blocked shots.
*Sophomore guard Kendall Knorr had one of Navy's top performances on Friday with nine points, six rebounds and three assists. Alter and Kelly each had eight points and freshman Edward Alade grabbed five boards.
* Navy will host the Goucher College Gophers on Wednesday night at Alumni Hall in its home opener. The game will tip at 7:00 PM. This is the first-ever meeting between Goucher, an NCAA Division III team, and Navy.