Men’s Basketball to Play at Coppin State Wednesday
Navy (7-3) at Coppin State (0-8)
Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017 | 7:00 PM
Baltimore, Md. | Physical Education Complex Arena (4,100)
Live Video | Live Statistics | Navy Game Notes
Radio: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV | wnav.com
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men’s basketball team (7-3) carries a three-game winning streak into Wednesday’s game at Coppin State (0-8). The Mids and the Eagles will meet at 7 PM at the Physical Education Complex Arena in Baltimore.
There will be a free live video feed on navysports.com, while Pete Medhurst and Michael Heary will have the radio call on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV in Annapolis and on wnav.com. Live statistics will also be available.
• Navy’s three-game winning streak has come against Denver (79-71) on Nov. 26, Delaware (82-76) last Friday and Morgan State (66-59) on Sunday.
• This is the second time in three years that Navy has started a season at 7-3 through its first 10 games.
• Navy’s last 8-3 start through 11 games was in the 2015-16 season.
• Junior point guard Hasan Abdullah posted his first career double-double in Navy’s win over Morgan State on Sunday.
• Abdullah recorded 15 points, 10 rebounds, six assists, three steals and just one turnover in 32 minutes of action.
• Senior guard Shawn Anderson scored in double figures for the seventh straight game against Morgan State with his 11 points.
• It is Anderson’s longest double-figure scoring streak since scoring at least 10 points in 14 straight games over the last eight games of his sophomore season and the first six of his junior season.
• Junior forward George Kiernan and freshman guard Cam Davis each scored nine points against Morgan State.
• Davis had a breakout weekend in Navy’s wins over Delaware on Friday and Morgan State on Sunday.
• Davis scored nine points on three 3-pointers in 11 minutes against Delaware, and then made three more 3-pointers for nine points in a season-high 22 minutes against Morgan State.
• Another freshman, forward Tyler Riemersma, logged a season-best 16 minutes in the win over Morgan State and pulled down six rebounds.
• Anderson is leading Navy in scoring for the third straight season with 12.9 points per game. Anderson ranks first on the team in minutes played (30.1), tied for first in assists (3.2) and second in rebounds (5.1).
• Anderson has 1,061 career points and is 27 points away from tying Jack Conrad ‘71 for 22nd place on Navy’s all-time scoring list.
• Senior guard Bryce Dulin ranks second on the team in scoring at 12.4 points per game.
• Dulin scored a career-high 30 points in Navy’s win over Delaware on Friday.
• Senior forward Tom Lacey ranks third on the team in scoring (9.8) and is first in rebounding (5.5).
• Abdullah is tied with Anderson or the team lead in assists (3.2) and ranks first on the team and in the Patriot League with 2.3 steals per game.
• Abdullah has increased his steals per game average from 1.9 last season to 2.3 this season.
• Abdullah ranked fourth in the league in steals per game last season.
• Navy is 4-0 so far this season in non-conference home games.
• Navy will have a chance to go undefeated at home in non-conference play for the first time since 2013-14 (4-0) when hosting Lipscomb on Dec. 21.
• Navy is 6-0 this season and 16-0 over the last two seasons when scoring at least 70 points.
• Anderson has 242 career assists and is just two assists away from tying Jason Jeanpierre (‘03) for 15th place on the Navy career assists list with 244.
• Navy is currently leading the Patriot League in scoring defense at 68.5 points allowed per game.
• Navy was ranked first or second in scoring defense in each of the last three seasons.
• Navy is averaging 72.6 points this season, its highest scoring average since 76.3 in the 2007-08 season. Navy averaged 64.9 points last season.
• For the third time this season and for the second straight week, Navy is receiving votes in the College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 Poll.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his seventh season at Navy.
Coppin State Storylines
• Coppin State enters Wednesday’s game at 0-8, and the Eagles are coming off a 76-60 loss at Georgetown on Sunday evening.
• Wednesday’s game will be Coppin State’s home opener at the Physical Education Complex Arena after playing its first eight games on the road.
• The matchup vs. Navy will also be the first home game for Coppin State’s first-year head coach Juan Dixon.
• Dixon was an All-American at Maryland and helped lead the Terps to the 2002 NCAA National Championship.
• Dixon was the head coach of the women’s team at the University of the District of Columbia last season and had a 3-25 mark.
• Sophomore guard Dejuan Clayton leads Coppin State in scoring at 10.2 points, while senior guard Tre’ Thomas is second at 8.0 points.
• Graduate student guard Karonn Davis is averaging 7.8 points and a team-high 2.3 assists, while junior forward Adam Traore is averaging 7.5 points and a team-best 6.0 rebounds.
• Davis had 20 points, eight rebounds, four assists and two steals against Georgetown on Sunday.
• Coppin State was 8-24 overall last season and 7-9 in the MEAC.
Series History vs. Coppin State
• The all-time series between Navy and Coppin State is tied at 1-1.
• Navy defeated Coppin State in Annapolis on Dec. 30, 2009, 78-75.
• The next season, the Eagles defeated the Mids in Baltimore, 65-64, on Dec. 7, 2010.
• Navy is 14-10 all-time against teams in the MEAC, and just defeated MEAC-member Morgan State on Sunday, 66-59.
• Morgan State was picked first in the MEAC preseason poll, while Coppin State was picked 12th.
Looking Ahead: Navy at Columbia on Sunday
• Navy will next play at Columbia (1-7) on Sunday at 1 PM.
• Columbia will host Stony Brook on Thursday before welcoming in the Mids on Sunday.
• Sunday’s game will be televised in the New York area on SNY, and on Direct TV and the DISH Network.
• Navy and Columbia will be playing for the second straight season.
• The Mids defeated the Lions last season in Annapolis, 69-54.