Five of the Mids’ six boats race in grand or petite finals
4V8 wins race, V8 edged in photo finish by George Washington
Mids earn victory in 5V event; runner-up in 2V
Mids edged in V8 race; win 4V8 event
Mids win Oliver T. Carr Bowl with perfect 10-for-10 weekend
As Navy Heavyweight Head Coach. 2012/13-Present
• Has coached the varsity boats in head-to-head competitions to a career record of 33-20 with a 7-3 mark in 2013, an 8-2 record in 2014, another 7-3 season in 2015, a 5-6 slate in 2016 and a 6-6 record in 2017
• In his fifth season at the helm of the Mids, led the team to six regular season wins with a perfect showing at the Goes Trophy competition versus Syracuse and Cornell highlighting the spring; the clean sweep of V8 through 4V8 action gave the Mids the Stagg Cup, as well ... The program finished 13th overall in the Ten Eyck standings at the 2017 IRA National Championships
• In 2016, led Navy to a perfect 8-0 competitive mark at the George Washington Invitational as the Mids once again took home the Oliver T. Carr Bowl ... Finished his fourth campaign with Navy’s first varsity crew ranking 10th at the IRA National Championships and ninth overall in the Ten Eyck team standings
• Mentored three 2016 U.S. Men’s U-23 National Team Selection Camp participants in Tim Tracey, Julian Hagberg and David Sands.
• After beginning the spring 2015 season at the historic San Diego Crew Classic, Friedrich’s varsity eight crew earned a seventh place standing at the EARC Sprints followed by a ninth-place ranking at the IRA National Championships ... As a team at the IRAs, Navy finished 11th overall in the Ten Eyck standings.
• Aided Tim Tracy and Julian Hagberg as the duo competed at the 2015 U-23 World Rowing Championships for Team USA
• Finished the 2014 campaign with an 11th place team finish at the IRA National Championships and a seventh place standing at the Eastern Sprints. Four boats at the IRAs finished in the top-nine.
• Capped the 2013 season with a seventh place finish at the EARC Sprints and a ninth in the IRA National Championships. Ninth at the IRAs was Navy's best finish since 2005.
As Navy Heavyweight Senior Associate Head Coach
• In four seasons as senior associate head coach, Friedrich coached the freshman boats to a combined 66-10 record.
• After posting 5-3 and 12-2 regular-season records, respectively during his first two years, the freshman boats combined to go 16-1 in 2011 and 26-2 in 2012.
• He guided the top freshman boat to a fourth-place finish at the 2011 EARC Championships, which was the highest placing for a Navy plebe crew in 15 seasons.
As Navy Lightweight Head Coach
• Selected as the EARC Coach of the Year in 2004. Also garnered Navy Spring Coach-of-the-Year honors in 2002 and 2004.
• During his seven years as the Navy head lightweight coach, the varsity boat posted a combined 12-2 in its races for the Callow Cup (Penn) and Haines Trophy (Harvard). The program had compiled a 2-8 record in those same races during the six years prior to Friedrich's arrival.
• 2002 -- Both freshman boats finished the regular season undefeated, the second varsity crew won the Eastern Sprints and the varsity boat placed second by one foot in the IRA Grand Final. Varsity boat defeated Harvard for the first time in 21 years.
• 2003 -- The Mids totaled three medals at the Eastern Sprints, with both freshman boats winning a gold medal for the first time in school history. The varsity boat placed seventh at the IRA Regatta.
• 2004 -- The varsity boat capped off an undefeated regular season by winning the Eastern Sprints and the IRA National Championship, winning the former event for the first time in 42 years. The crew would go on to reach the semifinal round of the Henley Royal Regatta.
• 2005 -- His varsity crew posted a 6-1 record during the regular season, placed fourth at the Eastern Sprints and finished in sixth place at the IRA's.
• 2006 -- Navy won the program's first team points title at the Eastern Sprints as each Navy entry placed first or second in its respective grand final. The varsity boat placed sixth at the IRA Regatta.
• 2007 -- The Mids repeated as the team points champion at the Eastern Sprints, while the varsity boat placed fourth overall at the event and sixth at the IRA Championship.
• 2008 -- Navy finished second during the grand finals of the IRA National Championship. The Midshipmen placed third in points at the Eastern Sprints and finished the regular with a 5-1 record.
As Rutgers Lightweight Head Coach
• Was the head coach of the lightweight program at Rutgers for three years.
• Selected as the EARC Coach of the Year as his varsity boat won a silver medal at the IRA's and his second varsity boat placed second at the Eastern Sprints.
• In 2000, the program won the Platt Cup over Princeton and Cornell for the first time in 13 years. After earning a No. 1 ranking during the regular season, ended the year by competing at the Henley Royal Regatta.
• Served as the captain of the Rutgers team as a senior and was twice named as the program's most valuable athlete.
• Won a gold medal at the C.R.A.S.H.-B World Indoor Rowing Championship.
• Spent two years training with the U.S. National Team. Placed fifth in the lightweight four at the Nation's Cup in Milan, Italy.