Saturday's contest marks just the second time the two programs will have met.
By Gary Lambrecht
Sophomore punter from MIssion Viejo, Calif.
Sophomore defensive end from Las Vegas, Nev.
Senior offensive tackle from Palm Bay, Fla.
Navy-Houston Football 10-8-16
Navy-UConn Football 9-10-16
Navy-Fordham Football 9-3-16
Army-Navy Football 2015
2014 Navy-USF FB
• At Navy: Returning starter at defensive end after starting all 13 games there last fall ... was one of the biggest surprises of the 2015 season ... entered the fall as a bit of an unknown and played terrific football all year ... will be the leader of a young defensive line in 2016 ... started his career as an outside linebacker before moving to defensive end ... has great strength and uses his wrestling background to his advantage on the defensive line ... has earned two varsity letters.
• 2015: Played and started all 13 contests at defensive end ... part of a defensive squad that was ranked #12 in red zone defense (.737) #32 in rushing defense (143.0), #26 in scoring defense (21.8), #40 in total defense (364.9), #13 in turnovers gained (27), #3 in turnover margin (+1.46), #1 in fumbles recovered (15) ... Navy held its opponents to 21 points or less in 10 of its 13 contests ... closed out the year with 47 tackles, including 5.0 tackles for loss and two sacks ... also posted four pass breakups, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery ... started the Pitt game, but left early after reinjuring his ankle ... turned in a pair of first half tackles against Army West Point before leaving the game with an injury ... contributed a pair of tackles, both for a loss, and a quarterback hurry at Houston ... turned in five tackles at Tulsa and recovered a fumble, the first of his career ... led Navy with a career-high tying six tackles against SMU, including a sack for a loss of nine yards ... also broke up a pass ... turned in four tackles against Memphis ... chipped in three solo tackles against USF and a quarterback hurry ... turned in a solo tackle and broke up a pass in the win against Tulane ... posted five tackles, including a tackle for loss at Notre Dame ... turned in a career-high tying six tackles against Air Force ... part of a defensive unit that held Air Force scoreless in the opening half and held the Falcons to their fewest yards of total offense (277) since 2009 (240) ... held the Falcons to just 11 points, their lowest scoring out put since Notre Dame defeated them 45-10 on Oct. 26, 2013 ... turned in a career-best six tackles at UConn ... produced a pair of tackles, including a sack for a loss of five yards in Navy’s league opener against East Carolina ... broke up a pass and forced his first career fumble that was recovered by teamate Will Anthony ... turned in five tackles and broke up a pass against Colgate in what was his first career start.
• 2014: Played in five games as a member of special teams, including making his collegiate debut in the Mids’ opener against No. 5 Ohio State ... chipped in a tackle against Georgia Southern ... part of a defensive unit that surrendered one touchdown to VMI which was scored with 14 seconds left in the game ... his lone tackle against the Keydets went down as a tackle for a loss of four yards.
• 2013: Did not see any varsity action.
• High School / Personal: A 2013 graduate of Brentwood Academy, Mason was a three-sport standout who earned letters in football (4), track & field (4 - throws) and wrestling ... garnered All-State (Tenn.) football honors as a junior and senior, while also serving as team captain those same years ... a three-time All-State (Tenn.) selection in wrestling (2011-13), he was a two-year team captain ... a three-time state wrestling champion (2010, `11, `13) who won 133 consecutive matches ... was the 2013 Tennessee state champion in the discus ... attended the same high school as 2011 Navy football captain Jabaree Tuani, Mason Graham (`12), Barry Dabney (‘14) and Kwazel Bertrand (‘16) ... had an offer from Army ... son of Fred Mason and April Moore ... majoring in economics.