Friday's contest marks just the second meeting (1980) between the Mids and Cougars.
Fifteen seniors will be commissioned 2nd Lieutenants in the United States Marine Corps (11 ground, four pilot), while 17 will be Ensigns in the United States Navy (eight surface warfare, two pilot, two flight officers, three submarines, one special warfare and one information warfare).
The Mids and Golden Hurricane last met in 2006 in a series that is even at 1-1.
By Gary Lambrecht
By Gary Lambrecht
2014 Navy-USF FB
2015 Navy-SMU FB
Navy defeats SMU 55-14 at Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, USATSI Photos
Photos from Navy @ Memphis on Nov. 7, 2015.
2015 Navy-Tulane Football
• At Navy: Enters the fall listed as a starter at slot back and Navy's kickoff returner ... has great speed and is a powerful runner ... solid blocker ... has big play ability ... in 45 career touches, 28 have gone for first downs or touchdowns (.622) ... has earned three varsity letters.
• 2014: Part of an offensive unit that ended the year ranked No. 1 nationally in fewest penalties per game (2.54), fewest penalty yards per game (24.77), No. 2 in rushing offense (338.1), No. 2 in passing yards per completion (17.06), No. 6 in fewest passes intercepted (5), No. 11 in third down conversion (.481), No. 34 in fourth down conversion (.583) and No. 36 in red zone offense (.873) ... earned two starts among the 10 games he played ... averaged 7.5 yards rushing per game and scored one touchdown, while catching four passes for 104 yards (26.0) ... returned 17 kicks for 336 yards (19.8) ... missed the Army and San Diego State games after suffering an ankle injury at South Alabama ... rushed for 19 yards on two carries and caught a 42-yard pass at South Alabama ... the 42-yard reception was the longest play from scrimmage of his career ... also returned three kicks for 66 yards, including a 42-yarder which is the longest by anyone on the team this season ... caught a 33-yard pass against Georgia Southern, the longest reception of his career ... also returned a pair of kickoffs for 60 yards, including a 34-yarder ... his lone carry against Notre Dame went for a season-long 18 yards and just his second collegiate touchdown ... also returned a kick 18 yards against the Irish ... returned a pair of kickoffs against San Jose State for 30 yards, including a long return of 16 yards ... returned one kick for a season-long 29 yards against VMI ... made his first collegiate start in Navy's loss at Air Force ... carried the ball twice for 10 yards against the Falcons ... caught his first pass of the year, a 24-yarder, against Western Kentucky and also carried the ball twice for 15 yards ... missed the Rutgers game with an injury ... returned four kicks for 69 yards (17.3 ypr) and carried the ball once for four yards at Temple ... carried the ball four times for 41 yards in the Mids' opener against No. 5 Ohio State ... had a long run of 16 yards ... in his first season as Navy's kickoff returner, returned four kicks for 64 yards, including a long of 19.
• 2013: Made appearances in all 13 games ... carried the ball 13 times for 220 yards (9.6 ypc) and one touchdown, while catching a pair of passes for 45 yards (22.5 ypc) ... also returned five kicks for 111 yards (22.2 ypr) ... member of Navy's offensive unit that finished the year ranked No. 1 nationally in turnovers lost (10), No. 2 in rushing offense (325.4), No. 3 in tackles for loss allowed (3.62), No. 6 in passing yards per completion (15.09), No. 6 in third down conversion (51.1) and 11th in fourth down conversions (67.9) ... Navy rushed for 366 yards on 67 attempts against Middle Tennessee in the Bell Helicopter Armed Force Bowl, marking the sixth straight game the Mids topped the 300-yard rushing milestone ... it's the first time Navy has accomplished the feat since 2007 ... carried the ball three times for 26 yards against Middle Tennessee ... Navy's 34 points against Army are the most it has scored against the Black Knights since winning 34-0 in 2008 ... the 343 yards rushing by the Mids are the most in an Army-Navy game since 2008 (368) ... carried the ball twice for eight yards against Army and returned one kickoff for 16 yards ... member of the Mids' offense that rushed for 432 yards on 62 carries and scored a season-high 58 points in a triple overtime win at San Jose State ... the 432 yards are the second most by the Mids on the ground this season ... carried the ball twice for 26 yards in the win over the Spartans ... part of an offense that eclipsed the 500-yard total offense mark for the third time this season when the Mids posted 519 yards in their win over South Alabama to become bowl eligible ... the 42-point output against the Jaguars marked the fifth time this season Navy has scored 40-plus points ... carried the ball once for 14 yards in the win over South Alabama ... returned two kickoffs for 46 yards against the Jags, including a career-long return of 45 yards ... carried the ball once for a gain of 26 yards in the win over Hawai'i ... part of an offensive unit that posted 28 first downs against Notre Dame which are the most by the Mids in series history ... the offense also gained 331 yards on the ground which were the most against Notre Dame since the 2010 contest (367) ... gained a career-high 55 yards on a personal-best seven carries at Notre Dame ... came into the game against the Irish having carried the ball just seven times with 65 yards on the year ... carried the ball twice for eight yards against Pitt ... part of a Navy offense that set a school record for number of offensive plays with 106 against Toledo (was 105 vs. Air Force in 2011) and rush attempts with 93 (was 80 vs. Rice in 2009 and air force in 2011) ... with 35 first downs against the Rockets, the Mids were just one first down shy of tying the school record ... the Mids also rushed for 419 yards, their second-largest ground gain of the year and the 514 yards of total offense marked the third time this season Navy has eclipsed the 500-yard mark ... carried the ball once for 10 yards at Toledo and also caught his first collegiate pass for a 31-yard gain ... returned his first collegiate kick for 28 yards ... part of an offensive unit that scored 21 consecutive points to lead the Mids to their most lop-sided victory over Air Force since 1978 (37-8) ... scored his first collegiate touchdown on a career-long 38-yard carry against Air Force ... carried the ball once for 21 yards at Western Kentucky.
• 2012: Appeared in eight of the last nine games as a member of special teams, including making his collegiate debut against Air Force ... gained four yards against East Carolina on his lone carry of the year.
• High School / Personal: A 2011 graduate of Old Mill High School, Brown attended the Naval Academy Prep School during the 2011-12 academic year ... a three-sport standout who lettered in basketball, football and track & field ... three-time (2009-10-11) First-Team All-County selection in football, who also received All-State (Md.) recognition three teams ... named Honorable Mention All-State as a sophomore, a second-team selection as a junior and first-team honoree his senior year ... one of 50 players from around the country to be recognized as the Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year in 2010 ... served as captain of the football team his senior year and was named the team's MVP ... member of the football team that claimed the 2011 county title ... member of the 2010 Maryland 4A State Championship 4x100 relay team ... son of Demond Sr. and Tansala Brown ... majoring in general science ...earned a 3.39 and 3.38 grade point average the last two semesters.