11 seniors lead the way
By Gary Lambrecht
Navy Head Football Coach Ken Niumatalolo Named American Athletic Conference Coach Of The Year For The Second Consecutive Year
AAC West Champions Get One Player On First Team
Eighteen seniors will be commissioned 2nd Lieutenants in the United States Marine Corps, while 13 will be Ensigns in the United States Navy
Navy-LA Tech Football 12-23-16
USATSI Gallery - Navy @ SMU
Navy-Tulsa Football 11-12-16
USATSI Gallery - Tulsa @ Navy
Navy-Memphis Football 10-22
• At Navy: Enters the fall listed as a starter at slot back ... coming off a terrific junior campaign ... the fastest player Navy has had in recent memory ... also one of Navy’s bigger slot backs ... solid blocker ... outstanding kick returner ... averaging 27.3 yards per kickoff return for his career, which is the third-best average in school history ... has earned two varsity letters.
• 2015: Saw action in all 13 contests ... was a First-Team All-East honoree as a kickoff returner ... finished as the team’s third-leading rusher averaging 10.5 yards per carry (36-378) ... caught a pair of passes for 42 yards ... ranked 11th nationally in kickoff returns, averaging 27.3 yards per return ... it’s the sixth-best average in school history for a single season ... carried the ball four times for 84 yards, including a 43-yard run against Pitt in the Military Bowl ... returned three kicks for 66 yards ... returned on kickoff for 42 yards against Army West Point ... carried the ball three times for 22 yards and returned five kickoffs for 123 yards (24.6) at Houston ... carried the ball four yards for 27 yards at Tulsa ... returned three kicks for 124 yards, including a career-long 90-yarder to open the second quarter ... it was the longest kick return by a Navy player since Gee Gee Greene’s 95-yard return against Arizona State in the 2012 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl ... returned a kick against SMU for a 22-yard gain ... carried the ball three times for 28 yards at #15 Memphis ... also returned one kick for 18 yards ... rushed for a career-high 115 yards on six carries in the Mids’ win over USF ... it was his first career 100-yard game ... made Naval Academy history, teaming up with Chris Swain (131) and Keenan Reynolds (117) to become the first trio to run for 100 yards each in a game ... among his 115 yards was a career-long 55-yard run ... returned three kicks for 49 yards, including a long return of 18 against the Bulls ... carried the ball twice for 11 yards in the win over Tulane ... returned four kicks for 136 yards at Notre Dame, including a 58-yarder ... caught a 31-yard pass and carried the ball twice for three yards in the win over Air Force ... also returned a kick for 15 yards ... carried the ball three times for 19 yards and caught an 11-yard pass, the first of his career, at UConn ... rushed for 45 yards on four carries that featured a 23-yard run against East Carolina ... also returned his lone kickoff a career-long 37 yards ... carried the ball three times for 25 yards, including a long rush of 14 yards against Colgate in the opener ... returned a punt 12 yards and a kickoff for 23 yards.
• 2014: Part of an offensive unit that ended the year ranked No. 1 nationally in fewest penalties per game (2.54), fewest penalty yards per game (24.77), No. 2 in rushing offense (338.1), No. 2 in passing yards per completion (17.06), No. 6 in fewest passes intercepted (5), No. 11 in third down conversion (.481), No. 34 in fourth down conversion (.583) and No. 36 in red zone offense (.873) ... riddled with injuries over the course of the year, he played in nine games and rushed for 123 yards on 13 carries ... sidelined for the Poinsettia Bowl with a knee injury ... his one carry in the Army game went for six yards ... carried the ball once for 11 yards at South Alabama ... rushed for 15 yards on three carries against Notre Dame ... carried the ball three times for 29 yards against San Jose State ... rushed for 51 yards on two carries against VMI, including a career-long run of 51 yards ... carried the ball twice for nine yards at Air Force ... after sitting out the first two games of the season with an ankle injury, made his collegiate debut at Texas State.
• 2013: Did not see any varsity action.
• High School / Personal: A 2013 graduate of duPont Manual High School, Romine was a three-sport athlete who earned letters in basketball (2), football (3) and track & field (2 - sprints) ... a two-time all-city football selection who was named all-county his senior year ... rushed for 1,542 yards and 15 touchdowns in 10 games as a senior ... served as captain of the football team his senior year ... took recruiting visits to Harvard, Cornell, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Toledo ... an All-State (Ky.) selection in track his junior year ... son of Andre Romine and Tiffany Walton ... majoring in economics ... has been over a 3.0 grade point average in each of the last two semesters.