Fifteen seniors will be commissioned 2nd Lieutenants in the United States Marine Corps (11 ground, four pilot), while 17 will be Ensigns in the United States Navy (eight surface warfare, two pilot, two flight officers, three submarines, one special warfare and one information warfare).
The award is presented by the National Football Foundation
By Gary Lambrecht
The two are now candidates for Academic All-America honors
Earns An $18,000 Postgraduate Scholarship From The National Football Foundation
• At Navy: Enters the fall as the starter at left guard ... has started at left guard for the Mids in 22 games over the last two seasons ... has good size and strength ... along with wide receiver Thomas Wilson, was named to the 2014 Capital One Academic All-District Team by the College Sports Information Directors ... is an Academic All-American candidate for the 2015 season ... was named Preseason All-AAC third team by Phil Steele ... has earned two varsity letters.
• 2014: A starter in 12 of the 13 contests, he garnered First-Team FBS All-Independent honors and received All East recognition ... part of an offensive unit that ended the year ranked No. 1 nationally in fewest penalties per game (2.54), fewest penalty yards per game (24.77), No. 2 in rushing offense (338.1), No. 2 in passing yards per completion (17.06), No. 6 in fewest passes intercepted (5), No. 11 in third down conversion (.481), No. 33 in tackles for loss allowed (5.00), No. 34 in fourth down conversion (.583) and No. 36 in red zone offense (.873) ... the line was instrumental in paving the way for the Mids to rush for over 300 yards in 15 of their last 19 games which included a school-record nine in a row (Notre Dame 2013 - Texas State 2014) ... meanwhile it allowed for quarterback Keenan Reynolds to become the NCAA record holder for most rushing TDs by a QB over a career and tied for fourth among all positions with 64 ... returned to the starting lineup at South Alabama after missing the Georgia Southern game with an injury ... the line allowed the Mids to rush for 388 yards against South Alabama, its fifth consecutive game with over 300 yards rushing, and six rushing touchdowns ... among those six were three by Keenan Reynolds who broke the NCAA record for career rushing touchdowns (61) and also broke the record for most three-touchdown performances (12) ... had started 19 consecutive games before sitting out the Georgia Southern game ... the 39 points by Navy against Notre Dame were the most points scored in a regulation game against the Irish and the second most all-time ... the Mids' 454 yards of total offense (336 rush, 118 pass) are the most by Navy in the series since 1972 (459 yds) ... the 336 yards rushing by Navy were the most yards on the ground allowed by Notre Dame this season, as were the 60 rushing plays ... the offensive line allowed the Mids to rush for 423 yards against San Jose State, Navy's third 400-yard rushing game of the season and the 27th-best rushing performance in program history ... Navy topped the 400-yard rushing mark for the second time with 412 yards against Western Kentucky and featured two 100-yard rushers (Keenan Reynolds 121, Noah Copeland 104) for the first time since the 2013 season opener against Indiana ... helped pave the way for Navy to amass 517 yards of total offense (487 rush, 30 pass) at Temple ... the 487 yards rushing marked the best ground gain by the Mids since they rushed for 512 yards against East Carolina in 2012 and it's the 11th-best rushing game in program history.
• 2013: Saw action in all 13 games, starting 10 ... member of Navy's offensive unit that finished the year ranked No. 1 nationally in turnovers lost (10), No. 2 in rushing offense (325.4), No. 3 in tackles for loss allowed (3.62), No. 6 in passing yards per completion (15.09), No. 6 in third down conversion (51.1) and 11th in fourth down conversions (67.9) ... Navy rushed for 366 yards on 67 attempts against Middle Tennessee in the Bell Helicopter Armed Force Bowl, marking the sixth straight game the Mids topped the 300-yard rushing milestone ... it's the first time Navy has accomplished the feat since 2007 ... helped pave the way for QB Keenan Reynolds to score touchdown runs of 47 (2:38, 2Qtr), 11 (6:22, 4Qtr) and 1 yards (0:46, 4Qtr) against Army and in doing so set the NCAA record for single-season rushing TDs by a quarterback ... Navy's 34 points are the most it has scored against Army since defeating the Black Knights 34-0 in 2008 ... the 343 yards rushing by the Mids are the most in an Army-Navy game since 2008 (368) ... member of the Mids' offense that rushed for 432 yards on 62 carries and scored a season-high 58 points in a triple overtime win at San Jose State ... helped paved the way for Keenan Reynolds to rush for an NCAA record for a quarterback seven touchdowns and throw for another which set a Navy record for most touchdowns responsible for ... part of an offense that eclipsed the 500-yard total offense mark for the third time this season when the Mids posted 519 yards in their win over South Alabama to become bowl eligible ... the 42-point output against the Jaguars marked the fifth time this season Navy has scored 40-plus points ... Navy's offense opened the way for QB Keenan Reynolds to rush for a career-high 226 yards on 28 carries against Hawai'i, becoming only the seventh quarterback in school history to rush for 200 yards ... it's the third most by a Navy QB in program history ... part of an offensive unit that posted 28 first downs against Notre Dame which are the most by the Mids in series history ... the offense also gained 331 yards on the ground which were the most against Notre Dame since the 2010 contest (367) ... part of a Navy offense that set a school record for number of offensive plays with 106 against Toledo (was 105 vs. Air Force in 2011) and rush attempts with 93 (was 80 vs. Rice in 2009 and air force in 2011) ... with 35 first downs against the Rockets, the Mids were just one first down shy of tying the school record ... the Mids also rushed for 419 yards, their second-largest ground gain of the year and the 514 yards of total offense marked the third time this season Navy has eclipsed the 500-yard mark ...part of an offensive unit that scored 21 consecutive points to lead the Mids to their most lop-sided victory over Air Force since 1978 (37-8) ... made his first collegiate start on Oct. 5 against Air Force ... played a majority of the Western Kentucky game after starter Thomas Stone was injured ... the Mids had 515 yards (444R, 71P) in its season-opening win over Indiana and 589 yards (352R, 237P) in its win over Delaware ... it's the first time Navy has put together back-to-back 500-plus yards on total offense since 2007 (Ball State 540, Duke 540).
• 2012: Saw action in two games, playing five plays against Central Michigan and 12 against East Carolina.
• High School / Personal: A 2012 graduate of Island Coast High School, Binns lettered four years in both football and track & field ... garnered all-county football honors as a junior and senior, while also earning all-area kudos as a senior ... served as football team captain his senior season ... also took recruiting visits to Florida Atlantic and Dartmouth ... son of Hephzibah Thomas ... terrific student with a 3.41 grade-point average , including a 3.59 grade point average this past spring ... majoring in economics.