Navy will honor its 34 seniors in a pregame ceremony.
By Gary Lambrecht
Senior guard from Palm Bay, Fla.
Junior offensive tackle from Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
Martin started all 14 games for the Mids last fall
Army-Navy Football 12-10-16
Navy-Temple Football 12-3-16
Navy-Memphis Football 10-22
Navy-Houston Football 10-8-16
Navy-UConn Football 9-10-16
• At Navy: Enters the fall as the starter at right guard after starting 14 games there in the fall ... was Navy’s top offensive lineman a year ago ... has great mobility for a player his size ... physical blocker at the point of attack ... has earned three varsity letters.
• 2016: One of four Navy offensive linemen to garner All-AAC honors, he was named an honorable mention selection ... a starter in all 14 games ... the line paved the way for the Mids to finish the year ranked #1 in third down conversion pct. (54.5), #3 in passing yards per completion (19.29), #4 in rushing offense (310.1), #5 in tackles for loss allowed (4.21) and #7 in team passing efficiency (164.17) ... ... Navy scored 60-plus points in back-to-back games (66 at East Carolina, 75 at SMU) for just the second time in program history and the first time since 1917 ... twice this season Navy has put up 600 yards of total offense (616 at USF, 600 at SMU) after having not reached the 600-yard mark since 2008 (602 vs. Towson) ... the Mids put together three consecutive games of 500-plus yards of total offense (Tulsa, East Carolina, SMU), marking the first time in school history this has been done ... Navy topped 300 yards of rushing in seven consecutive contests (Houston, Memphis, USF, Notre Dame, Tulsa, East Carolina, SMU) ... part of an offensive effort that eclipsed 600 total yards of offense for the second time this season and recorded a season-best 496 yards on the ground at SMU ... it was the 10th-best rushing game in school history and the best since running for 512 against East Carolina on Oct. 27, 2012 ... Navy generated 75 points, the program’s second most in the modern era behind the 76 points scored against East Carolina on Nov. 6, 2010 ... the 75 points are the most scored ever in an AAC conference game ... the 11 TDs by the Mids marked a modern-era record, besting the previous mark of 10 set against Princeton in 1953, North Texas in 2007 and East Carolina in 2010 ... Navy’s 44-point victory marked the Mids’ largest margin of victory since defeating Rice by 49 (63-14) on Oct. 10, 2009 ... the line also paved the way for Navy to have two quarterbacks rush for 100 yards each in what was a first at the Academy ... the Mids amassed 593 yards of total offense (480 rush, 113 pass) at East Carolina, extending Navy’s consecutive games with 300 yards rushing to six in a row, while allowing QB Will Worth to post his sixth straight 100-yard rushing day, the most by a Navy player since Brian Madden (1999-01) when he ran his streak to seven in a row ... it also paved the way for the Mids to have two 100-yard rushers in the same game (Willl Worth - 159, Shawn White - 150) for the first time this season ... Navy’s 480 yards on the ground were a season high ... the Mids’ 66 points against the Pirates marked the most points by Navy since defeating East Carolina, 76-35, on Nov. 6, 2010 ... the line opened up lanes against Tulsa for the Mids to put together their fifth straight 300-yard rushing performance (390 yds) ... Navy amassed 616 total yards (317 rush, 299 pass) at USF, the 11th most in program history and opened lanes for the Mids to register their third consecutive 300-yard rushing game ... it paved the way for Will Worth to break the program’s total offense mark with 428 yards (129 rush, 299 pass) ... led the way for a then season-high 447 rushing yards, while the Mids produced 532 yards of total offense in a win over Memphis ... the Mids’ offense rushed for 306 yards against a Houston defense that was giving up just 42.0 rushing yards per game and was ranked #1 in the country ... it was the first time the Cougars had given up triple digits in the rushing column since last year’s game against Navy when the Mids rushed for 147 yards ... the 46 points scored by Navy were the most surrendered by Houston since dropping a 47-46 decision to BYU on 10-19-13 ... the Cougars’ opponents were averaging just 11.2 points per game this season ... helped paved the way for the Mids to post 550 yards of total offense, including 427 on the ground, in their opener against Fordham.
• 2015: A member of the Mids’ PAT/field goal team, he saw action in all 13 contests ... played the bulk of the fourth quarter at Tulsa where he helped lead the Mids’ offense to 524 yards (469R, 55P) of total offense ... part of the line paved the way for the Mids to rush for 371 yards and five touchdowns in a 48-10 victory over Colgate in the opener.
• 2014: Made appearances in every game as a member of special teams, including making his collegiate debut in the Mids’ opener against No. 5 Ohio State.
• High School / Personal: A 2014 graduate of Lee’s Summit West High School, Martin was a three-sport standout who earned letters in football (3), track & field (2) and wrestling (1) ... earned All-State (Mo.), first-team all-conference and all-district honors in football as a senior and second-team all-conference recognition as a junior ... earned Kansas City Star Honorable Mention All-Metro his senior year ... placed fourth at the state meet in the shot put his senior year, garnering All-State honors ... earned first-team all-district and all-sectional as a junior for his eighth-place effort in the shot at the state meet ... member of football teams that were crowned conference and district champs in 2012 and ‘13 and won the state title in ‘13 ... also considered Army, Air Force, Iowa State and Toledo ... member of the National Honor Society ... father, Steven Martin, played football at Missouri (1992-96) ... a nose guard and defensive tackle, the elder Martin played for seven teams (Colts, Eagles, Chiefs, Jets, Patriots, Texans and Vikings) in a nine-year NFL career ... son of Steven Martin and Van Jr. and Catherine Wiley ... majoring in political science.