By T.C. Cameron for NavySports.com
Senior tackle from Conyers, Ga.
Sophomore defensive end from Las Vegas, Nev.
Sophomore offensive tackle from Severn, Md.
Navy-Fordham Football 9-3-16
• At Navy: Enters the fall in a battle with Kendel Wright for the starting left tackle job ... has great size and quick feet ... has earned two varsity letters.
• 2017: A starter in 12 of the 13 games, earning his first collegiate start in the win at Florida Atlantic in the opener ... member of Navy’s offensive line that was named to the Mid-Season Honor Roll for the Joe Moore Award ... helped slot back-turned-quarterback Malcolm Perry rush for an AAC record 282 yards (third most in program history) against SMU ... Navy has had only five 90-plus yard touchdown runs in school history, Perry has two of the five - 92 vs. SMU and 91 vs. Air Force this season ... remarkably, he is one of just three players in FBS history to have two 90-yard runs in the same season (Chris Hardy of San Diego State in 1985 and Buddy Young of Illinois in 1944 ... Perry’s 92-yard TD run set a Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium record for longest rush ... the previous long was 91 yards set in 1997 by Pat McGrew against Kent State and tied earlier this year against Air Force by Perry ... it is also the second-longest run in program history behind John Sai’s record-setting 93-yard run against Duke in 1963 ... Perry is also one of just three players in the country with four offensive touchdowns of 65 yards or more, joining Baylor’s Chris Platt and Southern Miss’ Ito Smith ... for the first time in program history, Navy was able to string together three straight games of 400-plus yards rushing - 569 vs. Cincinnati, 421 vs. Tulsa, 471 vs. Air Force ... Navy had two players rush for over 100 yards in three consecutive games for just the second time in school history (Zach Abey and Malcolm Perry vs. Cincinnati, Tulsa and Air Force) ... the line allowed Navy’s starting quarterback Zach Abey to rush for 100 yards or more in a school-record eight straight contests dating back to 2016 - 114 vs. LA Tech, 235 at Florida Atlantic, 108 vs. Tulane, 128 vs. Cincinnati, 185 at Tulsa, 214 vs. Air Force, 146 at Memphis, 136 vs. UCF (broke the record) ... Abey is the only player in school history to rush for 100 or more yards in each of the season’s first seven contests ... he is the first Navy player to rush for 150-plus yards in back-to-back games (185 vs. Tulsa, 214 vs. Air Force) since Adam Ballard in 2005 (167 vs. Temple and 192 vs. Army) ... Abey and Perry are among just five different Navy players to rush for 200 yards TWICE in a season (235 vs. Florida Atlantic, 214 vs. Air Force), joining Keenan Reynolds (2013, and 2014), Chris McCoy (1996 and 1997) and Napoleon McCallum (1983) ... it’s the first time in school history that Navy has had four 200-yard rushing games in a single season ... the line has allowed Abey to rush for 1,413 yards this season, along with 1,182 yards by Perry, marking just the third time in program history Navy has had two 1,000-yard rushers in a single season - Kyle Eckel (1,249) and Craig Candeto (1,112), in 2015 Keenan Reynolds (1,373) and Chris Swain (1,023) and in 2017 Zach Abey (1,325) and Malcolm Perry (1,068).made his first collegiate start in the Army-Navy Game ... the 1,413 yards by Abey, meanwhile, are the second most in program history ... Abey accounted for five of Navy’s seven touchdowns and was named the MVP of the Military Bowl after becoming one of just five players in FBS history to score five rushing touchdowns in a bowl game, joining Kareem Hunt of Toledo (2015), Terrance Ganaway of Baylor (2011), Barry Sanders of Oklahoma State (1988) and Neil Snow of Michigan (1902) ... the five touchdowns are the most by a Navy player since Keenan Reynolds scored five against East Carolina in 2015 ... member of the offensive line that was named to the Sports Illustrated All-Bowl Team after blocking up front for an offensive unit that totaled 452 yards on the ground against Virginia in the Military Bowl ... helped pave the way for Navy to rush for 559 yards on 72 carries against SMU ... it was the fourth-most rushing yards in program history and the second most in the Niumatalolo era ... the 559 yards of total offense marks the second most by the Mids this season, while it stands tied for 31st on Navy’s all-time list ... also allowed QB Malcolm Perry to rush for an AAC-record 282 yards and four touchdowns, third most in school history ... he is the first Navy player to rush for 250-plus yards since Keenan Reynolds rushed for 277 yards against Georgia Southern in 2014 ... also saw Perry scored on a 92-yard TD run which broke the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium record for longest rush ... it was the second-longest run in program history behind John Sai’s record-setting 93-yard run against Duke in 1963 ... the line allowed Abey to break the school record for consecutive 100-yard rushing games with his eighth (seventh this season) against UCF behind 126 yards ... member of the Mids’ line that paved the way for Abey’s seventh straight ground gain with 146 yards at Memphis ... part of an offensive line that allowed Navy to rush for 471 yards against Air Force which set a series record for most rushing yards by either team ... the 471 yards on 57 carries against is the second-best ground gain by the Mids this season ... the 557 yards of total offense (417 rush, 86 pass) by the Mids stands as the most by Navy in series history ... the previous high was 508 (424 rush, 84 pass) in 1978 ... the 48 points are the most Navy has scored in the series ... its previous best was 42 in a 42-6 victory over the Falcons on Oct. 20, 1973 ... part of an offensive unit that recorded 569 yards on the ground against Cincinnati en route to 622 yards of total offense ... the 569 yards rushing set an AAC record (previous high was 496 by Navy in 2016 against SMU), while it is the best rushing game this season in the FBS ... it stands No. 2 in the Navy record books, while it’s the most under Niumatalolo’s tenure as head coach ... the 72 rushing attempts are the third most in the FBS this season ... the 622 yards of total offense, meanwhile, ranks No. 11 all-time at Navy and the most under Niumatalolo ... member of a line that allowed QB Zach Abey to become the first player in program history to rush for 200 yards (235) AND throw for 100 yards (110) in a single game, while also setting the AAC record for most yards rushing by a QB (235) in the win over FAU.
• 2016: Made appearances in every game, including making his collegiate debut in the Mids’ opener against Fordham ... the line paved the way for the Mids to finish the year ranked #1 in third down conversion pct. (54.5), #3 in passing yards per completion (19.29), #4 in rushing offense (310.1), #5 in tackles for loss allowed (4.21) and #7 in team passing efficiency (164.17) ... Navy scored 60-plus points in back-to-back games (66 at East Carolina, 75 at SMU) for just the second time in program history and the first time since 1917 ... twice Navy put up 600 yards of total offense (616 at USF, 600 at SMU) after having not reached the 600-yard mark since 2008 (602 vs. Towson) ... the Mids put together three consecutive games of 500-plus yards of total offense (Tulsa, East Carolina, SMU), marking the first time in school history this has been done ... Navy topped 300 yards of rushing in seven consecutive contests (Houston, Memphis, USF, Notre Dame, Tulsa, East Carolina, SMU) ... part of an offensive effort that eclipsed 600 total yards of offense for the second time this season and recorded a season-best 496 yards on the ground at SMU ... it was the 10th-best rushing game in school history and the best since running for 512 against East Carolina on Oct. 27, 2012 ... Navy generated 75 points, the program’s second most in the modern era behind the 76 points scored against East Carolina on Nov. 6, 2010 ... the 75 points are the most scored ever in an AAC conference game ... the 11 TDs by the Mids marked a modern-era record, besting the previous mark of 10 set against Princeton in 1953, North Texas in 2007 and East Carolina in 2010 ... Navy’s 44-point victory marked the Mids’ largest margin of victory since defeating Rice by 49 (63-14) on Oct. 10, 2009 ... the line also paved the way for Navy to have two quarterbacks rush for 100 yards each in what was a first at the Academy ... the Mids amassed 593 yards of total offense (480 rush, 113 pass) at East Carolina, extending Navy’s consecutive games with 300 yards rushing to six in a row, while allowing QB Will Worth to post his sixth straight 100-yard rushing day, the most by a Navy player since Brian Madden (1999-01) when he ran his streak to seven in a row ... it also paved the way for the Mids to have two 100-yard rushers in the same game (Willl Worth - 159, Shawn White - 150) for the first time this season ... Navy’s 480 yards on the ground were a season high ... the Mids’ 66 points against the Pirates marked the most points by Navy since defeating East Carolina, 76-35, on Nov. 6, 2010 ... the line opened up lanes against Tulsa for the Mids to put together their fifth straight 300-yard rushing performance (390 yds) ... Navy amassed 616 total yards (317 rush, 299 pass) at USF, the 11th most in program history and opened lanes for the Mids to register their third consecutive 300-yard rushing game ... it paved the way for Will Worth to break the program’s total offense mark with 428 yards (129 rush, 299 pass) ... led the way for a then season-high 447 rushing yards, while the Mids produced 532 yards of total offense in a win over Memphis ... the Mids’ offense rushed for 306 yards against a Houston defense that was giving up just 42.0 rushing yards per game and was ranked #1 in the country ... it was the first time the Cougars had given up triple digits in the rushing column since last year’s game against Navy when the Mids rushed for 147 yards ... the 46 points scored by Navy were the most surrendered by Houston since dropping a 47-46 decision to BYU on 10-19-13 ... the Cougars’ opponents were averaging just 11.2 points per game this season ... helped paved the way for the Mids to post 550 yards of total offense, including 427 on the ground, in their opener against Fordham.
• 2015: Did not see any varsity action.
• High School / Personal: A 2014 graduate of Meade High School, Hawk attended the Naval Academy Prep School during the 2014-15 academic year ... a two-sport athlete who lettered in baseball (2) and football (3) ... earned First-Team All-State, First-Team All-Met and First-Team All-County honors as a senior ... played in the Crab Bowl, as well as the Big 33 All-Star Game ... recipient of the Al Laramore Award, presented to the county’s top lineman ... brothers Paul and Zachery played baseball at Coppin State ... father served 20 years in the Army ... son of John and Nadgee Hawk ... majoring in quantitative economics.