Clements, Gulley, Powell, Tibbetts and Hook
By Gary Lambrecht
Junior slot back from Sicklerville, N.J.
Junior quarterback from Powder Springs, Ga.
Sophomore outside linebacker from Memphis, Tenn.
• At Navy: Enters the fall as the starter at one of the outside linebacker spots after an outstanding junior campaign ... extremely athletic ... has good size and speed ... adept at playing the run or the pass ... has earned one varsity letter.
• 2015: Saw action in all 13 contests, starting seven ... started in six of the final nine games ... turned in 29 tackles, including 4.0 tackles for loss and a sack on the year ... also broke up three passes and was credited with two quarterback hurries ... posted a solo tackle in Navy’s win over Pitt in the Military Bowl ... pitched in a pair of tackles against Army West Point, including a tackle for loss ... contributed a tackle and was credited with a half a tackle for loss and a quarterback hurry at Houston ... produced three tackles at Tulsa ... chipped in a tackle against Memphis ... posted four tackles and broke up a pass in the win over Tulane ... turned in a career-high five tackles at Notre Dame that featured a sack and 1.5 tackles for a loss ... it was his first career sack and tackle for a loss ... part of a defensive unit that held Air Force scoreless in the opening half and held the Falcons to their fewest yards of total offense (277) since 2009 (240) ... held the Falcons to just 11 points, their lowest scoring out put since Notre Dame defeated them 45-10 on Oct. 26, 2013 ... assisted on a tackle against Air Force ... chipped in a tackle and broke up a pass at UConn ... member of the Mids’ defensive unit that combined for five sacks against the Huskies which are the most by a Navy team since 2006 against Temple (6) ... turned in four solo tackles and broke up a pass, the first of his career, in the win over East Carolina ... produced four tackles, including a tackle for a loss, against Colgate in what was his first career start.
• 2014: A member of the Mids’ special teams who played in four contests ... missed the final three games of the season due to an infection in his foot ... saw extensive time on the defensive end of the field against Georgia Southern where he made three tackles ... turned in a tackle in the Mids’ win over VMI.
• 2013: Played in five games as a member of the special teams, making his collegiate debut against Air Force.
• High School / Personal: A 2012 graduate of Madisonville North Hopkins High School, Powell attended the Naval Academy Prep School during the 2012-13 academic year ... a three-sport athlete who earned letters in basketball, football and track & field (400m/800m) .. garnered all-conference honors his junior and senior years ... both parents ran track at Murray State ... son of Steven Roberts and LaSenna Powell ... majoring in general science.