Team Will Be Honored At Halftime Of The Men’s Game
By Gary Lambrecht
Fifteen seniors will be commissioned 2nd Lieutenants in the United States Marine Corps (11 ground, four pilot), while 17 will be Ensigns in the United States Navy (eight surface warfare, two pilot, two flight officers, three submarines, one special warfare and one information warfare).
The Mids and the Tigers are both 4-0 in the American Athletic Conference.
Other than the 2012 season-opener in Ireland, this will be the first Navy-Notre Dame game with a combined one or fewer losses since Nov. 2, 1957, when the Irish were 4-0 and Navy was 5-1.
2015 Navy-Air Force Football
Navy vs. Western Kentucky FB 9-27-14
Navy vs. Rutgers FB 9-20-14
Navy takes on Western Kentucky at home
Army vs. Navy Football 2013
• At Navy: Enters the fall listed as the starter at rover ... has good size and coverage skills ... has gotten much bigger and stronger since his freshman year, putting on more than 25 pounds ... has earned three varsity letters.
• 2014: The starter at rover in each of the first nine games before being slowed by a injury ... did not play in the final three games of the season ... finished the year with 53 tackles (42-11), two pass breakups and an interception ... part of a defensive unit that was ranked 38th nationally in interceptions (13), 31st in passing yards allowed (205.2) and 38th in red zone defense (.788) ... made the start against Notre Dame, but was sidelined with an injury after for the opening drive by the Irish ... named the FBS Independent Defensive Player of the week after producing seven solo tackles against San Jose State and recorded his first collegiate interception and returned it 11 yards ... part of a defensive unit that surrendered one touchdown to VMI which was scored with 14 seconds left in the game ... posted nine tackles at Air Force, including a tackle for a loss of two yards ... contributed three tackles in the win over VMI ... turned in nine tackles, including seven solo stops, and broke up two passes against Western Kentucky ... paced Navy with a career-high 10 tackles against Rutgers, reaching 100-career tackles in that contest ... registered five solo tackles at Texas State ... chipped in three tackles in the win over Temple ... produced seven tackles, all solo, against No. 5 Ohio State in the opener.
• 2013: Started seven of the nine games in which he played ... produced 43 tackles on the year, including two tackles for a loss of six yards and broke up two passes ... member of the Mids' defensive unit that held eight of its 13 opponents under their scoring average this season, including Middle Tennessee State who managed just two field goals in the 24-6 loss to the Mids ... the six points were the fewest allowed among the bowl games this season and Navy's defense was the only unit in the country to not allow a touchdown in the postseason ... Navy was also the only team in the country who did not give up a pass of 50 yards or more over the course of the season ... held Middle Tennessee to a season-low six points en route to winning the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl ... it is also the fewest points a Navy opponent has scored since the Mids defeated VMI, 41-3, in 2012 ... the defense held Middle Tennessee to 91 yards on the ground, the fewest by an opponent since Central Michigan rushed for 70 yards in 2012 ... the Blue Raiders came into the game averaging 208.3 yards rushing ... posted a tackle and pass breakup against Middle Tennessee ... Navy's defense held Army, ranked No. 2 in the country in rushing (323.6), to a season-low 157 yards ... Navy was the only team to hold the Black Knights under 200 yards rushing this season ... the Mids held Army to a season-low seven points ... it's the fewest points scored by the Black Knights against the Mids since 2009 when Navy posted a 17-3 win in Philly ... posted three tackles, including a tackle for loss of five yards in the 34-7 win over Army ... returned to the gridiron against San Jose State where he recorded six solo tackles ... missed the South Alabama game after suffering a concussion in the Hawai'i game ... turned in five solo tackles against Hawai'i ... posted a career-high nine tackles at Notre Dame ... produced a then career-high eight tackles against Pitt, including six solo stops, as the Mids held the Panthers to a touchdown under their scoring average ... turned in five tackles, including a tackle for loss at Toledo ... contributed a pair of tackles at Duke ... part of a defense that held Air Force scoreless in the second half and to a season-low 10 points, while holding the Falcons to 231 yards on the ground, better than 60 yards under their average ... produced four tackles against the Falcons and broke up a pass ... made his season debut against arch rival Air Force after missing the first three games of the season ... suffered a knee injury in a scrimmage during fall camp ... returned to practice the week prior to Western Kentucky.
• 2012: Saw action in 12 of Navy's 13 games, starting seven ... was a starter in each of the last seven games ... recorded three assisted tackles in Navy's loss to Arizona State in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl ... produced four tackles in Navy's series-record 11th straight win over Army ... member of the Mids' defensive unit that held Texas State scoreless for the first 42 minutes of the game ... named the FBS Independent Defensive Player of the Week on Nov. 19 after producing a then career-high tying seven tackles against the Bobcats, including the first sack and the first tackles for a loss (2.0-13yds) of his career ... thwarted a fake field goal attempt by the Bobcats with his 10-yard sack of Shaun Rutherford on fourth and one from the Navy 3 ... pitched in six tackles at Troy ... after surrendering the game's first 10 points, part of a Navy defense that held Florida Atlantic scoreless for the better part of 30 minutes between the second and fourth quarters (8:57 2nd - 9:07 4th) ... pitched in six tackles against the Owls and recovered a fumble, the first of his career, to garner ECAC Div. I Defensive Player of the Week laurels ... contributed four tackles and broke up two passes for a second consecutive game in the win over East Carolina ... made his first collegiate start in the Mids' win over Indiana where he recorded a career-high seven tackles and pitched in the first two pass breakups of his career ... saw his most extensive playing time in the second half of the Central Michigan game where he was in on a tackle ... part of a defense that held the Chippewas to a season-low 221 yards (70 rush, 151 pass) and 12 first downs ... the 70 yards rushing by the Chippewas were the fewest yards rushing by a Navy opponent since Missouri rushed for 65 yards on 26 carries in the 2009 Texas Bowl ... meanwhile, the 22 rushing plays by Central Michigan were the fewest by a Navy opponent since Nov. 28, 2009, when Hawai'i ran the ball just 17 times for 62 times ... turned in his first collegiate tackle in Navy's loss to San Jose State ... also saw action in Navy's 41-3 victory over VMI ... made his debut in the Mids' opener against Notre Dame.
• High School / Personal: A 2011 graduate of Brentwood Academy, Bertrand attended the Naval Academy Prep School during the 2011-12 academic year ... a three-sport athlete who earned letters in basketball (3), football (4) and track & field (4) ... member of the Student Leadership Team in high school ... also took recruiting visits to Harvard and Vanderbilt ... son of Felix and Angela Bertrand ... majoring in chemistry.