Navy owns an 8-1 record in home openers under head coach Ken Niumatalolo
11 seniors lead the way
No other regular season college football game gets this kind of coverage
By Gary Lambrecht
Navy-LA Tech Football 12-23-16
Army-Navy Football 12-10-16
Navy-Temple Football 12-3-16
Photos from Temple @ No. 20 Navy on December 3, 2016.
USATSI Gallery - Navy @ SMU
• At Navy: Elected co-captain by his teammates for the 2016 season ... enters the fall listed as the starter at one of the slot back positions ... has good speed and is a tenacious blocker ... outstanding special teams player ... one of the emotional leaders on the team ... has earned three varsity letters.
• 2015: Saw action in 12 games where he carried the ball 12 times for 189 yards and three touchdowns ... also caught two passes for 30 yards ...carried the ball three times for 20 yards and a 15-yard touchdown in the Mids’ win over Pitt in the Military Bowl ... also had a career-long 16-yard catch, just his second reception of the year ... caught his first collegiate pass, a 14-yarder, at Houston ... also returned a kick 26 yards against the Cougars ... was in on two special teams tackles at Houston ... scored a 70-yard touchdown on his only carry at Tulsa ... it was the longest run by a Navy player since Keenan Reynolds’ 70-yard run at Troy on Nov. 10, 2012 ... carried the ball three times for a career-best 35 yards at Memphis and featured a then career-long run of 31 yards ... sat out the USF game with an injury ... suffered a stinger when making the tackle on the opening kickoff of the Tulane game and sat out the remainder of the contest ... his lone rush at Notre Dame went for a 13-yard touchdown ... it was his first touchdown of the season and second of his career ... gained six yards on his lone carry at UConn, while returning two kicks for 47 yards, including a career-long return of 33 yards ... rushed for 24 yards on two carries, while providing a number of key blocks for his teammates in the Mids’ win over East Carolina ... turned in a then career-long run of 21 yards on his lone carry in the opener against Colgate ... also contributed a tackle on special teams.
• 2014: Part of an offensive unit that ended the year ranked No. 1 nationally in fewest penalties per game (2.54), fewest penalty yards per game (24.77), No. 2 in rushing offense (338.1), No. 2 in passing yards per completion (17.06), No. 6 in fewest passes intercepted (5), No. 11 in third down conversion (.481) and No. 36 in red zone offense (.873) ... played in all 13 contests where he rushed for 77 yards on 11 carries and scored a touchdown ... also a strong special teams player, he contributed six tackles ... carried the ball once at South Alabama for a 14-yard gain ... also returned three kicks for 59 yards, including a long of 24 ... returned one kick for a career-long 27 yards against Georgia Southern ... returned a pair of kickoffs for 36 yards against Notre Dame, including a 20-yarder ... part of an offense that rushed for 423 yards against San Jose State, Navy’s third 400-yard rushing game of the season and the 27th-best rushing performance in program history ... made his first collegiate start in the Mids’ win over San Jose State ... returned on kick against VMI for 19 yards ... carried the ball four times for 32 yards against Western Kentucky and featured a 19-yard touchdown run, the first of his career ... gained six yards on a pair of carries against Rutgers ... carried the ball once for six yards at Texas State ... also returned a kickoff for 14 yards, the first of his career ... assisted on a tackle via special teams in Navy’s road win against Temple ... carried the ball twice for 17 yards, including a career-long 10-yarder, against No. 5 Ohio State in the opener ... it marked the first carries of his collegiate career.
• 2013: Made appearances in 10 games, including each of the last nine, primarily as a member of the Mids’ special teams ... finished the year with eight tackles ... chipped in a tackle against Middle Tennessee in the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl ... posted a solo tackle in Navy’s 34-7 win over Army ... pitched in a tackle at San Jose State ... turned in two tackles against Hawai’i ... recorded a pair of tackles at Notre Dame ... turned in his first collegiate tackle as a member of special teams in the Mids’ loss at Toledo ... also made an appearance at slot back on the final drive at Duke ... made his collegiate debut in the Mids’ win over Delaware in the home opener.
• High School / Personal: A 2012 graduate of Tremper High School, Gulley attended the Naval Academy Prep School during the 2012-13 academic year ... a four-year football letterwinner, he earned two letters at Garfield High School before closing out his high school career at Tremper where he lettered twice ... a First-Team All-State (Wis.), all-city and all-county selection his junior and senior years ... was also the team MVP as a junior and senior ... named the Milwaukee Player of the Year his senior season ... also went on recruiting visits to Northern Illinois, Toledo and Wisconsin ... member of the National Honor Society ... brother, Prince-Tyson Gulley, played running back at Syracuse ... son of Anthony Gulley and Shellaree Bradford ... majoring in general science.