Navy Varsity Athletes In Top Leadership Positions For Plebe Summer
July 7, 2014
Senior linebacker Joe Worth of the football team, senior guard Kevin Alter of the men's basketball team, senior midfielder Lindsay Rheiner of the women's lacrosse team and senior defender Julie Schumacher of the women's soccer team hold top leadership positions for the first half of Plebe Summer.
Worth is the Regimental Commander, which means he is the Midshipman in charge of the plebe detailers and the approximately 1,200 plebes currently going through Plebe Summer. Alter and Rheiner are the two Battalion Commanders (approximately 600 plebes in each Battalion), which makes them second in command, and Schumacher is the adjunct, which makes her third in command.
The purpose of Plebe Summer, which runs from Induction Day on July 1 to reform of the Brigade of Midshipmen on August 16, is to lay the foundation of the Academy's four-year professional development curriculum. At the conclusion of summer training, each Plebe class shall:
· Be indoctrinated in the traditions of the Naval Service and the Naval Academy;
· Understand basic military skills and the meaning behind them;
· Appreciate the high standards and obligations inherent in service as a Midshipmen and Naval Officer;
· Be dedicated to excellence in a competitive atmosphere that fosters leadership, teamwork, character, and a passion for "winning;"
· Appreciate the importance of mental, moral, and physical toughness in all aspects of duty and service; and
· Be prepared to execute the rigorous academic year routine.