Army Deals Navy Golf a Loss in Star Match
Sept. 23, 2012
PARAMUS, N.J. — Navy managed to halve just three singles matches among the five that went to the 18th hole on Sunday, as Army claimed an 8.5 - 2.5 victory over the Midshipmen in this weekend’s Star Match held at the Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, N.J. Army also edged out Navy on Sunday in a match decided on the 17th, as well as the 16th.
Junior Drew Selby (Charlotte, N.C.), who paired up with sophomore Staton Pruitt (Columbia, S.C.) on Saturday to capture a 1-up win in four-ball action, came into the 18th hole of his singles match even against Army’s Anthony Kim. Selby left his second shot just two feet from the cup, setting up what he thought would be the winning shot. Instead, Kim rolled in a 20-foot shot for birdie to halve the match.
Meanwhile, both junior Chris House (Raleigh, N.C.) and sophomore August Jonas (Jacksonville, Fla.) entered the 18th hole against Eric Peng and Robby Hill, respectively, tied, concluding the day by halving their point.
Pruitt and junior David Hall (Huntersville, N.C.) were tripped up in the 18th by 1-up scores. Both players entered the final hole 1-down, and were unable to pull even.
Junior Bobby Keating (Garden City, N.Y.) dropped a 3-1 decision to Army rookie Marcus Plunkett, while Army senior Matt Philie dealt second-year Navy standout Colby Lederer (Levittown, Pa.) a 3&2 loss. Over his four seasons at Army, Philie owns a 4-0 record in four-ball matches and a 3-4 mark in singles bouts against the Mids.
“We fought extremely hard, but just couldn’t pull it out this weekend,” said 23rd-year Navy head coach, who has directed Navy to a 13-10 record in the series during his tenure. “I thought a lot of breaks went Army’s way, but give them credit for putting together a solid weekend. I know our guys will look forward to seeing them down the road at the conference tournament in the spring.”
The Midshipmen will be back in action next weekend when they travel to Egg Harbor, N.J. to take part in the ECAC Championship.
Army 8.5, Navy 2.5
• Marcus Plunkett and Eric Peng (Army) def. Brad Elder and Chris House (Navy), 5&4
• Matt Philie and Harrison Florence (Army) def. Garrett Moyer and David Hall (Navy), 2&1
• Anthony Kim and John Lee (Army) def. Bobby Keating and August Jonas (Navy), 1-up
• Staton Pruitt and Drew Selby (Navy) def. Robby Hill and Brandon Baerwaldt (Army), 1-up
• Marcus Plunkett (Army) def. Bobby Keating (Navy), 3-1
• Harrison Florence (Army) def. David Hall (Navy), 1-up
• Matt Philie (Army) def. Colby Lederer (Navy), 3&2
• Eric Peng (Army) halved Chris House (Navy)
• John Lee (Army) def. Staton Pruitt (Navy), 1-up
• Robby Hill (Army) halved August Jonas (Navy)
• Anthony Kim (Army) halved Drew Selby (Navy)
### Go Navy ###