Navy Opens Patriot League Play Saturday at Bucknell
Senior Tucker Hull has scored 7 goals and dealt out 4 assists in his 3 previous games against the Bison
Feb. 20, 2014
• Looking to bounce back after dropping a 9-8 overtime decision to Georgetown last Saturday, the Navy men’s lacrosse team (1-1) will travel to Lewisburg, Pa. on Saturday to face Bucknell (1-1) in both teams’ Patriot League opener ... the 14th edition of the Navy-Bucknell series is set for a 3:00 pm faceoff at Christy Mathewson Stadium.
• Saturday’s contest will be carried live by 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV with Pete Medhurst handling the call ... coverage begins with the Navy lacrosse pregame show at 2:45 pm ... the game will also be streamed online for FREE via PatriotLeague.TV and NavySports.com. Live stats will also be available at NavySports.com.
• Navy outscored Georgetown 5-1 over the final 24 minutes of play in a furious comeback in a game that was sent into overtime with a short-handed goal by T.J. Hanzsche with 53 seconds in regularion. The Hoyas’ Jeff Fountain, however, scored the game-winner just under two minutes into the extra frame as Georgetown scored the 9-8 OT victory.
• Meanwhile, a four-goal run by Bryant in the opening quarter proved to be the difference in picking up a 12-9 victory over Bucknell last Sunday in Rhode Island.
A Win Over Bucknell Would ...
• snap a 7-game skid in games played on the road dating back to 2012.
• snap a 3-game skid against the Bison.
• give Navy an 8-6 series advantage against the Bison and would clip Bucknell’s lead in games played in Lewisburg to 4-3.
• give Navy head coach Rick Sowell his first win over Bucknell as a head coach ... he is 0-2 against the Bison.
• give Sowell a 97-98 career record and an 11-17 mark at Navy.
• push Navy’s all-time record to 761-325-14.
• give the Mids a 6-5 all-time record in Patriot League openers, including a 2-4 mark against Bucknell in openers.
• be Navy’s first win in a Patriot League opener since beating Lehigh, 8-3, in 2010.
Taking the Field In ...
10 - Senior attack Sam Jones’ 10-point performance against VMI in the opener marked the most points scored by a Navy player since March 20, 1991, when Dennis Nealon recorded 12 (4G, 8A) against Washington College. It was just the eighth time in program history that a Navy player has had double figured points.
9 - Navy has lost just five games (55-5) when scoring 10 or more goals since the start of the 2004 season ... Navy is 9-0 under Sowell when scoring 10 or more goals (5-0 in 2012, 3-0 in 2013, 1-0 in 2014).
8 - Starting attack T.J. Hanzsche owns a team-best 8-game goal-scoring streak. The last time he did not score a goal was on March 12 against Towson
7 - The Mids have lost 7 consecutive true road games dating back to the 2012 season.
6 - Co-captain Pat Kiernan needs 6 ground balls to move into 10th on Navy’s all-time ground balls leader board ... he owns 149.
5 - Senior attack Tucker Hull has scored a point in 5 straight contests dating back to last season, including assists in each of the last 3.
4 - Third-year head coach Rick Sowell is 4 wins from earning his 100th collegiate victory. He owns a 96-98 record in 15 years as a head coach.
3 - Navy senior attack Sam Jones needs 3 goals to join the Mids’ all-time top 20 goals scored list ... he owns 69 heading into the weekend.
2 - Navy’s 2 goals against Bucknell a year ago marked the fewest scored by either team in the series’ 13-game history.
1 - Over the last six seasons, 29 (11-18) of the Mids’ 87 contests have been decided by 1 goal.
Scouting the Bison
• Ninth-year Bucknell head coach Frank Fedorjaka has directed his Bison to a 1-1 start this season, beating Delaware in the opener, 6-4, before droppin a 12-9 decision on the road to Bryant.
• Bucknell, who was voted to finish second this season in the Patriot League, stands 20th in the Warrior/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and is receiving votes in the USILA Coaches Poll this week.
• Ironically, Bucknell owned a two-goal decision over Mount St. Mary’s in the fourth, but gave up two goals in the final 1:35 to suffer its lone loss (12-11) of the season.
• Bucknell has seven returning starters on its roster, including 2013 Preseason All-Patriot League Team members David Dickson, Thomas Flibotte and Jackson Place.
• Flibotte, a sophomore midfielder, has scored a team-high 4 goals off 10 shots on goal. Dickson, meanwhile, owns 4 points off 3 goals and 1 assist. Second-year middie Kyle Shanahan (2-1) and sophomore attack Sean Doyle (1-2) each have 3 points to date.
• Place, a senior close defenseman has 4 caused turnovers and 4 ground balls.
• Junior Sam Grinberg has been solid in goal where he owns an 8.00 goals-against average and a 52.9 save percentage. The first-year starter earned Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week honors following Bucknell’s win over Delaware where he made a career-high 12 stops and surrendered 4 goals.
• One area Bucknell has long struggled at is the faceoff game. The Bison have won just 37.8 percent (14-37) of the draws this season. They were 5-13 against Delaware and 9-24 against Bryant. Senior Peter Burke (6-13) and junior Gavin Sullivan (7-21) have split the duties at the “x.”
Navy vs. Bucknell - The Series
• Saturday’s contest between Navy and Bucknell marks the 14th game in a series that began in 1996 ...Bucknell has won four of the last six, including each of the last three.
• Navy had won three straight in the series before rookie Charlie Streep’s goal as time expired snapped the Mids’ winning streak in 2009 during the regular season.
• However, the Mids got sweet revenge on Bucknell’s home field when they scored a 9-8 win in the 2009 Patriot League Championship Game to earn an automatic bid to play in the NCAA Tournament.
• Seven of the 13 games in the series have been decided by one goal, including five of the last seven ... three of the seven one-goal contests have entered into extra minutes ... in 2010, midfielder Patrick Moran stuck his shot 1:20 into overtime to lead the Mids to an 8-7 OT win ... meanwhile, in 2011 Navy scored four goals in the fourth, including a pair by Nikk Davis in the final 18 seconds of the game to send it into overtime ... rookie Todd Heritage, however, found an opening and scored the game-winner for the Bison.
• Bucknell holds a 4-2 advantage in games played in Lewisburg.
• Last year the Bison dealt the Mids their worst loss in series history, beating Navy, 11-2, in Lewisburg.
Patriot League Success
• Since joining the Patriot League in 2004, Navy has put together a 53-21 (71.6) record against conference members, which includes an 11-2 (84.6) mark in the Patriot League Tournament ... the Mids are 42-19 (68.9) in regular-season action.
• The Mids have lost regular-season contests to ...
Army (4) 2008, ‘10, ‘11, ‘12, ‘13
Boston U. (0) ---
Bucknell (5) 2005, ‘09, ‘11, ‘12, ‘13
Colgate (4) 2006, ‘09, ‘11, ‘13
Holy Cross (1) 2013
Lafayette (1) 2010
Lehigh (3) 2011, ‘12, ‘13
Loyola (0) ---
... and dropped the program’s first Patriot League Tournament contest at the 2008 semifinals against eventual champion Colgate and its second to Army in the 2010 championship contest.
• Fifteen of the 21 losses were in games played either at the opponent’s field or at a neutral site.
• Navy owns a 25-6 record at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium against Patriot League competition since joining the conference in 2004 ... the Mids are 19-6 during the regular season.
• The Mids have produced undefeated marks in conference action twice, 7-0 in 2004 and 6-0 in ‘07.
• Navy has won at least a share of the Patriot League regular-season title in five (2004-05-06-07-08) of the nine years it has been a member of the league.
• Additionally, the Mids have claimed the league’s tournament crown five times (2004-05-06-07-09).
• 31 different Mids have garnered All-Patriot League recognition, while 19 of the 31 have earned honors multiple times.
• With the addition of Boston U. and Loyola this season, the Patriot League has expanded to a nine-team league.