|2014 Navy Men’s Lacrosse Game Specifics
||Navy (3-3, 2-1 PL) at Lehigh (5-2, 2-1 PL)
|Date and Faceoff
||March 15 at 2:00 pm ET
||Bethlehem, Pa. | Ulrich Sports Complex (1,200)
||WNAV (1430 AM, 99.9 FM) | Pete Medhurst & Joe Miller
| Game Notes
||Navy | Lehigh
The Last Meeting
March 30, 2013
Slow Start By Mids Leads to Loss at Lehigh
Junior attackman Sam Jones (Annapolis, Md.) played a role in six of the Mids' seven goals, but it wouldn't be enough as the 18th-ranked Lehigh men's lacrosse team dealt Navy a 12-7 loss on a sunny afternoon at Ulrich Sports Complex in Bethlehem, Pa. The Mids, who have lost seven of their last eight games, are now 3-7 overall and 1-4 in Patriot League contests, while the Mountain Hawks are 7-4 and 3-0 in conference action.
• The Navy men’s lacrosse team (3-3, 2-1 Patriot League) will make its fifth trip to Bethlehem, Pa. in the last six years when the Mids make the trek Saturday to face conference foe Lehigh (5-2, 2-1 PL). With faceoff slated for 2:00 pm at the Ulrich Sports Complex, the Mids and Mountain Hawks will meet for the 33rd time in the series history.
• Saturday’s contest will be carried live by 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV with Pete Medhurst and Joe Miller handling the call. Coverage begins with the Navy lacrosse pregame show at 1:45 pm. The game will also be streamed online for FREE via PatriotLeague.TV and NavySports.com. Live stats will also be available at NavySports.com.
• The Mids are coming off a 14-9 loss at Towson last Tuesday where the Mids trailed 9-1 at the half. Despite scoring four goals in each of the last two quarters, the deficit was too great for Navy to overcome as it dropped its ninth consecutive road game.
• Like Navy, Lehigh also struggled to find the back of the net in its Tuesday evening road loss at 17th-ranked Yale. The Mountain Hawks were held scoreless in the first and third periods and mustered just 17 shots the entire contest. Turnovers also caused havoc, as Lehigh turned the ball over 21 times, 12 of which were unforced.
Taking the Field In ...
10 - Navy has lost just five games (57-5) when scoring 10 or more goals since the start of the 2004 season ... Navy is 11-0 under Sowell when scoring 10 or more goals (5-0 in 2012, 3-0 in 2013, 3-0 in 2014).
9 - Navy senior Tucker Hull has scored a point in each of the last 9 contests ... the last time he did not score was against Lehigh on March 30, 2013. Fellow attack T.J. Hanzsche owns Navy’s longest point and goal-scoring streak, having posted a point in 12 straight games.
8 - Navy starting attack Sam Jones has produced a combined 8 goals in the three previous games he has played against Lehigh, including 4 in last year’s contest.
7 - The Mids are ranked 7th nationally in three team categories: faceoff winning percentage (61.3), man-down defense (79.2) and scoring defense (7.60).
6 - Freshman faceoff specialist Brady Dove, who is Navy’s all-time freshman faceoff wins leader, needs 6 wins on Saturday to take over the No. 15 spot on Navy’s career faceoff wins list.
5 - Just 5 players on the roster have produced points against Lehigh, including 4 seniors - Sam Jones (8-3=11), Erik Hoffstadt (2-0=2), Tucker Hull (1-1=2), T.J. Hanzsche (1-0=1) and Austin Heneveld (1-0=1).
4 - Hull needs 4 goals to join Navy’s all-time goals scored list with 73. He would also join teammate Sam Jones as one of just nine active NCAA players to score 70 plus goals and register 50 assists.
3 - Jones needs just 3 points to become only the seventh player in school history to reach the 30-point milestone in each of his four seasons and the first since Nick Mirabito (2005-08).
2 - Third-year Navy head coach Rick Sowell is 2 wins from earning his 100th collegiate victory. He owns a 98-99 record in 15 years as a head coach.
1 - Navy senior long pole Pat Kiernan stands No. 1 on Navy’s career caused turnovers list with 59 over his four year career. He leads Navy this season with 8 takeaways.
Navy vs. Lehigh - The Series
• Saturday’s contest between Navy and Lehigh marks the 33rd game in a series that began in 1910 ... the Midshipmen own a commanding 28-4 series advantage.
• The Mids won the first three contests before suffering their first loss in the series, a 4-3 decision in 1913 ... Navy had won 25 in a row against the Mountain Hawks until Lehigh dealt the Mids a 14-10 loss in Bethlehem in 2011. That win has sparked a three-game winning streak by the Mountain Hawks over the Mids and none of the three games have been closer than four goals.
• Navy owns a 6-2 series advantage in games played in Bethlehem.
• Four of the last five games have been played in Bethlem and Saturday’s contest marks the second straight year. The lone game to be played in Annapolis since 2009 was the 2012 contest in which Lehigh won, 9-4.
• Since Navy joined the league in 2004, the Mids have scored double-figure goals in six of the 12 contests ... Navy has produced nine goals in three of the other six games during that stretch.
• Navy and Lehigh have met twice in the Patriot League Tournament, 2005 and 2006, with the Mids winning both.
Scouting the Mountain Hawks
• Seventh-year Lehigh head coach Kevin Cassese has led the 15th-ranked Mountain Hawks to a 5-2 record this spring which features Patriot League wins over Boston U. (10-7) and Bucknell (9-3) ... Lehigh has also picked up wins over Furman (13-6), Marquette (13-6) and Villanova (7-6, 3OT) ... its losses have come at the hands of nationally-ranked programs Loyola (14-7) and Yale (10-2).
• A staple for Cassese’s teams over the last several years has been the strength of its defense. That continues to be the trend this year as the Mountain Hawks entered the week ranked fourth nationally, giving up 7.00 goals per game. That mark slid to 7.43 after 17th-ranked Yale dealt Lehigh a 10-2 loss.
• One of the keys to the success of the defense is two-time Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Year Matt Poillon ... Poillon boasts a 55.0 save percentage which is 16th nationally and owns a 7.30 goals-against average. Prior to the Yale loss, Poillon stood fourth in the country with a 6.74 GAA.
• Additionally, All-Patriot League defenseman Ty Souders and sophomore defenseman Tripp Telesco have been sensational. Telesco leads the way with 14 caused turnovers and 19 grounders, while Souders has 5 takeaways and 16 grounders.
• The starting attack trio of Reid Weber, Patrick corbett and Dan Taylor has been sensational. Weber and Taylor boast all-around games as both scorers and feeders with Weber pacing the team with 16 points on 9 goals and 7 assists while Taylor has 14 points on 9 goals and 5 assists. Corbett, meanwhile, is the finisher, posting 14 points on a team-best 13 goals and 1 assist.
• Senior Ryan Buttenbaum has taken over the faceoff duties this year and has been solid. He has won 75 of the 128 draws for a 58.6 wining percentage and leads the team with 34 ground balls. He is ranked 15th in the country in faceoff winning percentage and 35th in ground balls per game
• According to the national statistics released prior to Lehigh’s contest at Yale on Tuesday, the Mountain Hawks were ranked among the nation’s top 20 in eight statistical categories. They are among the top 10 in four stats.
• One weakness the Mountain Hawks do have is extra-man offense where they have scored on just 20 percent (5-25) of their opportunities and are ranked 58th.
Welcome to the Club!
• On March 12, 2013, Navy attackman Tucker Hull became the 30th player in program history to join the Mids’ elite list of 100-point scorers.
• Hull moved into 19th on Navy’s all-time scoring list with his 2 goals against Towson on Tuesday night. With 120 points, he trails 18th-place Brendan Schneck (1977-78) by just 1 point and is 5 behind 17th-place Eddie McKinnon (1999-02).
• Meanwhile, Jones joined the elite 100-point list with 2 goals and an assist against arch rival Army on April 13, 2013.
• Jones stands 16th on Navy’s all-time scoring list with 129 points and trails 15th-place Rich Wehman (1980-83) by 1 point and is 3 behind Dennis Nealon (1988-91).
• Hull and Jones are only the fourth set of classmates in program history to reach 100 points. Brendan Schneck (121) and Mike Hannan (101) from the Class of ‘78, Mike Herger (197) and Brian Keith (134) from the Class of 1990 and Ian Dingman (188) and Billy Looney (103) from the Class of 2007 are the others.
• Hull and Jones are just the 13th and 14th players at Navy, respectively, to reach the 100-point mark as juniors. Mike Herger (109), Ian Dingman (102) and Brendan Schneck (121) accomplished it as sophomores.
• Jones, who led the team last spring with 33 points on 21 goals and 12 assists, has reached the 30-point milestone as a freshman, sophomore and junior ... he is one of only 7 players in program history to achieve that feat, joining Paul Basile, James Chambers, Ian Dingman, Mike Herger, Jeff Long and Nick Mirabito. Those players went on to score 30-plus in their senior years, as well. Jones currently leads the team in scoring with 27 points on 15 goals and 12 assists.
• As a sophomore, Hull produced 47 points on 23 goals and 24 assists, becoming the Mids’ first 40-point scorer since Nick Mirabito turned in 46 points on 23 goals and 23 assists in 2008 ... it’s the most points scored by a Navy player since 2006 when Jon Birsner dealt out 36 assists en route to his 54-point effort.
• Hull has turned in a goal in 32 of the 44 games he has played in during his career, including hat tricks 13 times ... he has dealt out assists in 27 games and has posted 28 multi-point performances.
• Among the 44 games Jones has played in, he has scored a goal in 34 contests and produced an assist in 30 ... he has recorded 22 multi-goal games, including hat tricks in 14 games ... additionally, he has put up multiple points in 33 contests.
• In Navy’s 2012 opener against VMI, Hull and Jones combined to score 17 points, including 11 of the 14 goals ... the last Navy tandem to combine for 11 goals was Brendan Schneck and Mike Hannan, who pitched in 6 and 5 goals, respectively, to help guide the Mids to a 16-8 win over Princeton on April 8, 1978.
• Jones turned in a remarkable 9-point (5-4) effort against the Keydets in 2012 ... just two years later, Jones posted a career-best 10-point performance (4-6) against the Keydets ... it’s the most points scored by a Navy player since Dennis Nealon produced 12 points against Washington College on March 20, 1991.
• Hull, meanwhile, led the Mids with six goals in the 2012 VMI game ... it was the most goals by a Navy player since Taylor Harris scored six against Holy Cross on March 26, 2006. Teammate T.J. Hanzsche scored six goals against Holy Cross this season.
• Hull is one of only three players in program history to post three 8-point games in a season (2012) - 6-2 vs. VMI, 3-5 at Lafayette and 3-5 vs. Holy Cross ... joins Mike Buzzell (1978) and Dennis Nealon (1990) ... no Navy player has recorded four 8-point games in a season.
• Hull and Jones are among just 12 players in school history with 60 goals and 50 assists. Jones, meanwhile, is one of just eight active players in the NCAA with 70 goals and 50 assists.
• Hull stands among the nation’s leaders in the following career categories (prior to the Towson contest): points (25th, 118), points per game (22nd, 2.74), goals (38th, 67), goals per game (43rd, 1.56), assists (T15th, 51), assists per game (19th, 1.16).
• Jones, meanwhile, is ranked among the nation’s leaders in the following career stats (prior to the Towson contest): points (T14th, 127), points per game (15th, 2.95), goals (T24th, 77), goals per game (27th, 1.79), assists (T17th, 50), assists per game (20th, 1.16).