Matt Rees Named MVP at Men's Lacrosse Team Banquet
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Last weekend Navy held its annual men’s lacrosse team banquet where head coach Rick Sowell acknowledged the multiple game, season and career records that were broken over the course of the spring, while also recognizing Navy’s senior class for its contributions over the last four seasons.
Vice Adm. E.C. Waller Award
• Presented to that player who displays spirit, morale and dedication
• 2017 Recipient - Riggs Dawson (Sr. / FO)
Lt. Brendan Looney Award
• Presented to that player who leads by example, displays mental and physical toughness and shows dedication to his teammates
• 2017 Recipient - John Trainor (Sr. / SSDM)
Lt. j.g. Donald MacLaughlin Jr. Award
• Presented to Navy’s Outstanding Midfielder
• 2017 Recipient - Brady Dove (Sr. / FO)
• He is only the 12th player in Patriot League history and the first Navy player to earn All-Patriot League honors four times … 2014-16-17 Second Team, 2015 First Team.
• He is also the first faceoff specialist from any of the league schools to garner all-league kudos four times.
• Along with classmate Matt Rees, he played in all 58 games during his four-year career.
• Currently ranked #4 in the country in faceoff percentage (169-254, 66.5) and tied for #10 in ground balls per game (7.14).
• Finished his career as the Mids’ record holder in career faceoff wins with 637.
• The first player in school history and only the third in Patriot League history (26 yrs) to reach 600 faceoff wins.
• His 637 faceoff wins are third most in Patriot League history behind record holder Graham Savio of Loyola (702, 2014-17) and second-place Chris Eck of Colgate (664, 2005-08).
• He is one of only 24 players in NCAA history and the only Navy player to win 100 faceoffs four times in a career and (#2 with 169 in 2017, #3 with 163 in 2014, #4 with 158 in 2016 and #7 with 147 in 2015).
• Holds Navy records for FO wins (163) and attempts (289) by a freshman, as well as FO wins (147) and attempts (235) by a sophomore ... also holds the wins record for wins (169) by a senior.
• Set the single-game school and Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium records for faceoff wins with 21 against Maryland this season and later matched it against Lehigh.
• Set the Navy career ground balls … with 348 ground balls, he is the only player in program history and one of just five in Patriot League history to record 300 career ground balls. He stands #2 on the Patriot League’s all-time top 10 list behind record-holder Peter Strid of Colgate (384, 1993-96).
• Set the Navy single-season ground balls record in 2017 with 100 ... he is the only player in program history whose name appears four times on the list (#1 with 100 in 2017, #T3 with 87 in 2016, #6 with 83 in 2014 and #8 with 78 in 2015).
• Set the single-game school record for ground balls with 17 against Lehigh.
Coach William H. “Dinty” Moore Award
• Presented to Navy’s Outstanding Offensive Player
• 2017 Recipient - Greyson Torain (So. / M)
• 2017 First-Team All-Patriot League, unanimous selection
• Has started every game in which he has played over his career (30).
• 30 of his 40 goals over his two seasons have been unassisted - 12 of 17 last year and 18 of the 23 this season.
• Finished the year tied with Ryan Wade as the team’s leading scorer with 38 points on a team-high tying 23 goals and 15 assists ... also the leading scorer in league action with 22 points on a team-best 13 goals and nine assists.
• Among the country’s top-scoring midfielders during the regular season, he currently stands ninth nationally... his 38 points are tied as the fourth most by a midfielder in Naval Academy history.
• Played a spectacular game against Dartmouth (3.21) where he posted a career-high seven points on his fifth career hat trick and a then career-high four assists ... came into the game with just three assists this season.
• Four days later, turned in a six-point performance in the win over Lehigh (3.25) with a goal and a career-best five assists.
Coach Willis P. Bilderback Award
• Presented to Navy’s Outstanding Defensive Player
• 2017 Recipient - Chris Fennell (Sr. / D)
• The first player in Patriot League history to be named the Defensive Player of the Year three times ... earned the award in 2015-16-17.
• He is one of only 12 players in Navy history to be named All-Patriot League at least three times and only the sixth Navy player to be a three-time first-team selection … 2015-16-17 First Team.
• A two-time Tewaaraton Award nominee (2016-17).
• A 2015 Third-Team All-American and a 2016 Second-Team All-American, he is Navy’s first player to earn multiple All-America citations since defenseman Jordan DiNola (2006-07-08) ... he is the first Mid to twice be named to one of the top three teams since midfielder Billy Looney was named to the third team as a sophomore (2005), second team as a junior (2006) and first team as a senior (2007).
• Started all 54 games in which he played over his career, including each of the last 43 ... missed the final four games of his freshman year after suffering a broken leg (right) in the third quarter of the Mids’ loss to No. 1-ranked Loyola (4.5.14).
• Finished #3 on Navy’s career caused turnovers list with 67, behind teammate and record holder Matt Rees (84) and second-place Pat Kiernan (74, 2011-14).
• Appears three times on Navy’s all-time single-season caused turnovers list #T6 with 23 in 2016, #T17 with 17 in 2015 and #T19 with 14 in 2017)
• With 10 points on five goals and five assists, he finished #4 on Navy’s all-time scoring list among defensemen / long poles ... the five goals are the fifth-most among that group.
Lt. Robert T. Bianchi Award
• Presented to Navy’s Most Valuable Player
• 2017 Recipient - Matt Rees (Sr. / LSDM)
• He is one of only 12 players in Navy history to be named All-Patriot League at least three times … 2015 Second Team, 2016-17 First Team.
• 2016 Third-Team All-American
• Currently ranked #8 nationally averaging 2.07 caused turnovers per game list ... also ranked #52 in the country averaging 3.86 ground balls per game.
• Closed out his career as Navy’s all-time leader in caused turnovers with 84 ... broke the record with three takeaways against Lehigh on 3.25.17.
• Appears three times on Navy’s all-time single-season caused turnovers list (#3 with 29 in 2017, #T4 with 26 in 2016, #9 with 20 in 2015)
• Tied for fifth on Navy’s career ground balls alongside former teammate Pat Kiernan list with 187.
• With 19 points on 15 goals and four assists, he finished his career #1 on Navy’s all-time scoring list among defensemen / long poles ... the 15 goals are the most among that group ... his career-high three goals against Holy Cross (4.2.17) allowed him to break the goals record, while his three assists against Holy Cross in the Patriot League Quarterfinals (4.25.17) pushed him into the all-time points lead.
• Along with classmate Brady Dove, he played in all 58 games during his four-year career.
Members of Navy’s Class of 2017 include ...
Riggs Dawson - Navy Pilot
Brady Dove - Special Warfare
Chris Fennell - Surface Warfare - MCM Crew Bulwark
Colin Flounlacker - Marine Corps Ground
Ben Goodrich - Navy Pilot
Ryan Kelly - Marine Corps Ground
Matt Rees - Surface Warfare - USS Carter Hall (LSD 50)
John Trainor - Marine Corps Ground
Connor Wade - Surface Warfare (Nuclear) - USS Dewey (DDG-105)
### Go Navy ###