Men's Tennis Cruises Past St. Francis
Jan. 19, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Navy men's tennis team opened the 2013 dual season in style on Saturday, defeating St. Francis (Pa.), 7-0, at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis.
"It was a very solid first match for us," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We were a little sloppy in the middle of doubles, but we were solid all the way through in singles. It was really a dominating performance by everyone in singles today. They all played very well."
Navy opened the day by taking all three doubles matches. The tandem of Peter McDonald and Calvin Mark at downed Andre Rosa and Lawson Barter at No. 1 doubles, 8-4. Navy's No. 3 doubles pairing of Blake Daniel and Nicholas Gutsche followed by defeating Juan Pardo and Washi Gervais, 8-5. The No. 2 doubles match went to a tie break with Austin Jones and Alex Gaines defeating Sergio Carvajal and Chris Jimenez, 9-8.
In singles play, the Mids won five of six matches in straight sets with four players dropping just two or fewer games.
Mark, at No. 1 singles, and Tyler Burnett, at No. 6 singles, both won by identical scores of 6-2, 6-1. Jones, playing at No. 3 singles, cruised past Carvajal, 6-1, 6-1, for the next Navy win.
At No. 5 singles Gutsche didn't drop a game in his first set against Pardo and then won the second set, 6-2. Daniel was the only Mid to lose a set, falling 6-2 in the opening round to Jimenez, but he roared back to take the next two, 6-0, 6-1.
McDonald closed out the day for Navy at No. 2 singles, defeating Gervais, 6-4, 6-3.
Navy will look to carry its sharp play to Williamsburg, Va., tomorrow as it will face William & Mary and 4 p.m.
"It will be one of our toughest non-conference matches, so we'll have to be ready," said Officer.
Navy 7, St. Francis (Pa.) 0
Singles (Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3, 5, 4, 2)
1. Calvin Mark (Navy) d. Andre Rosa (St. Francis), 6-2, 6-1
2. Peter McDonald (Navy) d. Washi Gervais (St. Francis), 6-4, 6-3
3. Austin Jones (Navy) d. Sergio Carvajal (St. Francis), 6-1, 6-1
4. Blake Daniel (Navy) d. Chris Jimenez (St. Francis), 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Nicholas Gutsche (Navy) d. Juan Pardo (St. Francis), 6-0, 6-2
6. Tyler Burnett (Navy) d. Lawson Barter (St. Francis), 6-2, 6-1
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2)
1. Peter McDonald and Calvin Mark (Navy) d. Andre Rosa and Lawson Barter (St. Francis), 8-4
2. Austin Jones and Alex Gaines (Navy) d. Sergio Carvajal and Chris Jimenez (St. Francis), 9-8 (1)
3. Blake Daniel and Nicholas Gutsche (Navy) d. Juan Pardo and Washi Gervais (St. Francis), 8-5