Win Over Winthrop Highlights 3-0 Day for Men's Tennis
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team completed a busy two days by recording three victories on Saturday. The Mids (8-1) defeated Howard (0-1) and St. Francis Brooklyn (0-3) by the identical score of 7-0 in matches that were played at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis and also notched a 5-2 victory over Winthrop (0-2) in a contest played in Greenville, N.C.
Navy won the doubles point against Winthrop by posting 6-3 wins at the first two matches to be completed, the No. 3 and then No. 2 contests. The Eagles tied the score at 1-1 with a victory at No. 2 singles, then Navy built a 3-1 lead with wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 flights. Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) lost the first set of his match at No. 1 singles to Diego Quirioz in a tiebreaker, then posted wins in sets two and three by scores of 6-4 and 6-1, respectively, to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Mids. The margin increased to 3-1 when Greg Durham (So., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) also rallied after losing the first set of his No. 3 singles match against Connor Williamson in a tiebreaker to win the next two sets, 6-3 and 6-4.
Navy's lead was cut in half, but the Mids won the remaining two matches to earn the victory. Andrey Majkic (Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.) recorded the match-clinching fourth team point with his 6-4, 7-5 victory over Joshua Ryan at the No. 6 flight, then Peter Lohrbach (Fr., Little Neck, N.Y.) closed out the afternoon with a 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles.
"The guys came through in doubles to give us the 1-0 lead," said Navy head coach Chris Garner. "Looking at the scores in all of the matches, it is easy to see how close the two teams were today. Andrew was able to secure the second point with a hard-fought three-set victory, while Greg got the third point by playing really well after being down a set. Andrey would clinch the match after having multiple match points and using Greg's racquet because all of the strings on his broke. Peter earned the fifth point with a great come from behind effort that saw him and his opponent being out the best in one another."
Navy swept the three doubles matches from Howard to take a 1-0 lead, then won each of the six singles matches in straight sets.
"Howard pushed us in doubles," said Navy associate head coach John Moreland, "but the guys really responded in singles by elevating their games and bringing good energy on the court. They pulled together and did a good job getting out to early leads in singles and putting the match away."
Navy's match against St. Francis was similar in the doubles portion of the dual as the Mids lost a combined seven games in winning the three matches. Navy would go on to win four of the six singles matches in straight sets and won the other two in 10-point tiebreakers used in place of a complete third set. "I felt St. Francis was the best opponent we played all weekend here in Annapolis," said Moreland, "and the guys did a tremendous job playing a complete match from the first ball. St. Francis never quit and kept coming after us today, but we had some guys dig down and get the job done. Cameron Kirkpatrick (Jr., Menlo Park, Calif.) did a really good job coming back from a set and 3-0 down to win his match. At No. 1 singles, Zach Jennings (So., Snellville, Ga.) led the way. He lost a tough second set but elevated his game and led his teammates from the front. He did not play his best tennis over the four matches but gave the team great leadership from the top spots in singles and doubles.
"It was a good effort by the team picking up a pair of wins today. Both Howard and St. Francis are solid teams. We had to be ready to compete and the guys did a good job of that."
Navy will continue its season with four matches next weekend. The Mids will take to the road for matches Saturday at NJIT and St. Joseph's, then will be back in the Tose Family Tennis Center the following day for matches against Richmond and Bryant.
Navy (6-1) def. Howard (0-1), 7-0
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (3-1-2)
1. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. RAJU,Sagar / SHOKEIR,Karim (HOWM) 6-4
2. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. BLACKBURN,Devaughn / GITTENS,Cole (HOWM) 6-3
3. Kahatapitiya, Romesh / Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Lyn / TYUS,Benjamin (HOWM) 6-3
1. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. SHOKEIR,Karim (HOWM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Lyn (HOWM) 4-2, retired
3. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. GITTENS,Cole (HOWM) 6-3, 6-0
4. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. RAJU,Sagar (HOWM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Hicks, Andrew (NAVY) def. TYUS,Benjamin (HOWM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kirkpatrick, Cameron (NAVY) def. BLACKBURN,Devaughn (HOWM) 6-0, 6-0
Navy (7-1) def. Winthrop (0-2), 5-2
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (3-2-1)
1. QUIROZ, Diego / TEIXEIRA, Ruy (WIN) def. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) 6-3
2. Durham, Greg / Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. RYAN, Joshua / WILLIAMSON, Connor (WIN) 6-3
3. Lee, Matthew / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. DIAS, Gabriel / MITCHELL, Tremayne (WIN) 6-3
1. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) def. QUIROZ, Diego (WIN) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-1
2. TEIXEIRA, Ruy (WIN) def. Wong, Aries (NAVY) 6-4, 6-4
3. Durham, Greg (NAVY) def. WILLIAMSON, Connor (WIN) 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 6-4
4. MITCHELL, Tremayne (WIN) def. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. DIAS, Gabriel (WIN) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. RYAN, Joshua (WIN) 6-4, 7-5
Navy (8-1) def. St. Francis Brooklyn (0-3), 7-0
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (1-3-2)
1. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Adolfo Blanco, Fran / Ridruejo, Alejandro (SFCNY) 6-2
2. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Blasco-Torres, Pablo / Cecere, Tim (SFCNY) 6-2
3. Kahatapitiya, Romesh / Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Artiz, Guillermo / Blasco, Daniel (SFCNY) 6-3
1. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Ridruejo, Alejandro (SFCNY) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. Adolfo Blanco, Fran (SFCNY) 6-1, 6-1
3. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Artiz, Guillermo (SFCNY) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Blasco-Torres, Pablo (SFCNY) 6-1, 6-2
5. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. Gmijovic, Stefan (SFCNY) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kirkpatrick, Cameron (NAVY) def. Blasco, Daniel (SFCNY) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)