Men's Tennis Splits Two Matches
Feb. 2, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team split a doubleheader Saturday at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis. The Mids first lost a 4-3 decision to East Carolina before posting a 6-1 win over Villanova.
Navy's (4-2) day began with the Mids losing their decision to East Carolina (4-1). The Pirates claimed the doubles point thanks to wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 flights, with Navy managing to win a total of six games in those two matches. Navy's tandem of Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) and Austin Jones (Fr., Dallas, Texas) trailed Damien Brenard and John Schmitt by the score of 5-4 when the match was stopped due to ECU having clinched the doubles point.
"We started very slow in doubles," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We just were not firing on all cylinders and fell behind early at the first and third flights."
The Pirates jumped in front by the score of 3-0 early in singles play thanks to straight set victories at Nos. 1 and 2 singles. Jones placed Navy's first point on the scoreboard with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Schmitt at No. 3 singles. Brenard then posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) at No. 4 singles to secure the overall win for ECU.
The remaining two matches saw Navy's Tyler Burnett (So., Fayetteville, Ga.) win a 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (12-10) decision over Patriek Wolterbeek at No. 6 singles and teammate Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) post a three-set win over Colin Roller at No. 5 singles.
"Singles was a different story than doubles was," said Officer. "We came out with a lot of energy and fight, and came close to winning the match. Tyler showed a lot of character. He was up, the match got away from him but he battled back. A lot of guys could have folded, but he didn't. Nick did a nice job after losing the first set, and Austin played very well.
"East Carolina is a very good team. They are one of the better teams we will face all season. It was a tight, 4-3 match. It is not the result we wanted, but we showed we can be a good team."
Navy then bounced back to pick up the win against the Wildcats (0-1).
"Villanova beat Bucknell by the score of 5-2 last year," said Officer, "so we are happy to come away with a 6-1 win today. We were really on our game."
East Carolina (4-1) 4, Navy 3 (3-2)
Doubles -- East Carolina wins the doubles point (1-3)
1. Roller, Colin / Vliegen, Joran (ECU) def. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) 8-4
2. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) vs. Brenard, Damien / Schmitt, John (ECU) 4-5, unfinished
3. Soriano, Nicolas / Wolterbeek, Patriek (ECU) def. Burnett, Tyler / Daniel, Blake (NAVY) 8-2
1. Vliegen, Joran (ECU) def. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) 6-3, 6-2
2. Soriano, Nicolas (ECU) def. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) 6-0, 6-2
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Schmitt, John (ECU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Brenard, Damien (ECU) def. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) 6-4, 6-4
5. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Roller, Colin (ECU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) def. Wolterbeek, Patriek (ECU) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (12-10)
Navy (4-2) 6, Villanova (0-1), 1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-3-2)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Donaldson, Kelly / O'Brien, Thomas (VILL) 8-4
2. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Abbracciamento, Tim / Rosengren, Michael (VILL) 8-6
3. Peyton, Ryan / Seitz, Chris (VILL) def. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) 9-7
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. O'Brien, Thomas (VILL) 7-5, 6-4
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Miller, Mark (VILL) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Seitz, Chris (VILL) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Peyton, Ryan (VILL) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Rosengren, Michael (VILL) 6-4, 6-4
6. Abbracciamento, Tim (VILL) def. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) 6-4, 7-5