Men's Tennis Falls on the Road
NEWARK, N.J. -- NJIT won each of the singles matches to post a 6-1 victory over the Navy men's tennis team Saturday at the Naimoli Family Athletic and Recreation Center in Newark, N.J. The decision came in the season opener for the Highlanders and dropped Navy's record on the year to 8-2.
Navy won the doubles point in the inaugural meeting between the two programs. Greg Durham (So., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) and Gabe Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) posted a 6-2 win over Richard Rangga and Lukas Zvikas at the No. 2 flight to even the proceedings at one win apiece. The Mids then earned the point when their No. 1 tandem of Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) and Aries Wong (Sr., Bethesda, Md.) won the last five games of their match to defeat Tomi Antoljak and Abdullah Osman, 7-5.
"Gabe and Greg came out with good energy and aggressive play in doubles," said Navy head coach Chris Garner. "Aries and Andrew made a terrific comeback from trailing 5-2 to winning their match and clinching the doubles point for us."
NJIT would win five of the six singles matches in straight sets to win the overall contest from Navy.
"We were unable to get much going in singles," said Garner. "Outside of Aries, we were unable to stretch matches into third sets due to NJIT's great play."
Navy will play at Saint Joseph's later Saturday night, then play host to Bryant (9 a.m.) and Richmond (1 p.m.) on Sunday at the Tose Family Tennis Center.
NJIT (1-0) def. Navy (8-2), 6-1
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point
1. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Tomi Antoljak / Abdullah Osman (NJIT) 7-5
2. Durham, Greg / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Richard Rangga / Lukas Zvikas (NJIT) 6-2
3. Zac Castagna / Jan Cimrman (NJIT) def. Hicks, Andrew / Sims, Walker (NAVY) 6-1
1. Tomi Antoljak (NJIT) def. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jan Cimrman (NJIT) def. Wong, Aries (NAVY) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
3. Lukas Zvikas (NJIT) def. Durham, Greg (NAVY) 6-4, 6-0
4. Abdullah Osman (NJIT) def. Sims, Walker (NAVY) 6-2, 6-2
5. Zac Castagna (NJIT) def. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) 6-4, 6-2
6. Richard Rangga (NJIT) def. Hicks, Andrew (NAVY) 6-1, 6-1