Men's Tennis Splits 4-3 Decisions
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team split a pair of 4-3 decisions Sunday at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis. The Mids (10-3) first recorded a 4-3 win over Bryant (2-8) then lost a 4-3 match to Richmond (3-3).
Navy's Sunday began with the match against Bryant, which defeated the Mids last year on its way to competing in the NCAA Tournament as the Northeast Conference champion.
The doubles point in the match came down to the third and final contest to be completed. After the Bulldogs won a 6-1 decision at the No. 3 flight, Navy's No. 1 tandem of Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) and Aries Wong (Sr., Bethesda, Md.) posted a 6-2 victory over Artur Jakubowski and Matt Kuhar to tie things up at 1-1. The Mids would earn the point thanks to a 6-3 win at No. 2 doubles by their team of Greg Durham (So., Melbourne Beach, Fla.) and Peter Lohrbach (Fr., Little Neck, N.Y.) over Trent Massam and Javier Isias Ortiz-Garcia.
Wong gave Navy a 2-0 lead when he defeated Lorenz, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 2 singles. The lead became 3-0 when Gabriel Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) posted a 6-2, 6-3 win over Michael Plutt at No. 3 singles. Romesh Kahatapitiya (Fr., Virginia Beach, Va.) made the score an insurmountable 4-0 when he defeated Massam, 0-6, 6-4, 6-1, at the No. 6 flight.
Navy also had success in doubles against Richmond, which compiled a 25-4 record and defeated Navy during the 2017 season. Ton and Wong recorded a 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles and Jennings and Pilones won their match at the No. 3 flight by the same score to give Navy a 1-0 lead.
Richmond posted wins at Nos. 1 and 2 singles to take a 2-1 lead before Kahatapitiya defeated George Lovitt, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 6 singles to tie the match at 2-2.
The Spiders would notch victories at the Nos. 5 and 3 flights to earn their third and fourth team points, respectively. Navy's final point came when Pilones defeated James Aronson, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4 singles.
"Doubles was a highlight from today's matches with Aries and Andrew leading the way to help secure both doubles points," said Navy head coach Chris Garner. "Singles in both matches were extremely close. Aries and Gabriel helped clinch the match against Bryant with some great play, which we needed because Bryant came back strong to win three super tie-breakers. Gabriel also had a great win vs. Richmond.
"Against Richmond, Romesh came up big, again, earning his second third-set win of the day. It went right down to the wire with our team having a number of opportunities, but Richmond performed very well in key moments today which made all the difference."
Sunday's matches for the Mids followed their late Saturday night 5-2 victory over Saint Joseph's (0-1).
Navy placed the first point of the match on the scoreboard with victories in two of the three doubles matches. Jennings and Andrey Majkic (Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.) first recorded a 6-3 win at the top flight, then Cameron Kirkpatrick (Jr., Menlo Park, Calif.) and Lohrbach combined for a 6-2 win at No. 3 doubles.
Kirkpatrick gave the Mids their second team point with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Luis Janko at No. 6 singles. Jennings increased the lead to 2-0 with his 7-5, 6-2 victory over Schaeffer Beekman at No. 1 singles. Kahatapitiya clinched the match for the Mids when he completed a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Johnnie Massart at the No. 3 flight. Navy's final point was provided by Majkic when he defeated Dan Tan, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 4 singles.
"The team has a lot of positives to take away from the busy weekend," said Garner, "with the biggest being we have players who want to be playing in more matches."
Navy will return to the Tose Family Tennis Center Saturday for matches against Mount St. Mary's (10 a.m.) and Temple (2 p.m.).
Navy (9-2) def. Saint Joseph's (0-1), 5-2
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (1-2-3)
1. Jennings, Zach / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Peter Dewitt / Johnnie Massart (SJU) 6-3
2. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU) def. Kahatapitiya, Romesh / Martin, Joshua (NAVY) 6-2
3. Kirkpatrick, Cameron / Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. Andre Fick / Luis Janko (SJU) 6-2
1. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. Beekman Schaeffer (SJU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Peter Dewitt (SJU) def. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
3. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Johnnie Massart (SJU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. Dan Tan (SJU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
5. Andre Fick (SJU) def. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Kirkpatrick, Cameron (NAVY) def. Luis Janko (SJU) 6-4, 6-0
Navy (10-2) def. Bryant (2-8), 4-3
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (3-1-2)
1. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. JAKUBOWSKI, Artur / KUHAR, Matt (BRYM) 6-2
2. Durham, Greg / Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. MASSAM, Trent / ORTIZ-GARCIA, J I (BRYM) 6-3
3. LORENZ, Luke / PERTILE, Grant (BRYM) def. Jennings, Zach / Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) 6-1
1. KUHAR, Matt (BRYM) def. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4)
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. LORENZ, Luke (BRYM) 6-2, 7-5
3. DONG, Wilson (BRYM) def. Durham, Greg (NAVY) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
4. JAKUBOWSKI, Artur (BRYM) def. Sims, Walker (NAVY) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-7)
5. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. PLUTT, Michael (BRYM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. MASSAM, Trent (BRYM) 0-6, 6-4, 6-1
Richmond (3-3) def. Navy (10-3), 4-3
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (3-1)
1. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Aronson, James / Troy, Caleb (RICH) 6-2
2. Durham, Greg / Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) vs. Lovitt, George / Polender, Brice (RICH) 4-5, unfinished
3. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Evans, Klein / Fernandez, Matt (RICH) 6-2
1. Troy, Caleb (RICH) def. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) 6-4, 6-0
2. Karlawish, John (RICH) def. Wong, Aries (NAVY) 6-4, 6-2
3. Fernandez, Matt (RICH) def. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 6-2
4. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Aronson, James (RICH) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-3
5. Evans, Klein (RICH) def. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) 7-5, 6-4
6. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Lovitt, George (RICH) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2