Feb. 6, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Strong doubles play by the Navy men's tennis team carried through to the singles portion of a 5-2 victory by the Mids over Temple Wednesday evening at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis.
"We played extremely well in doubles," said Navy head coach John Officer. "One of things we wanted to do today was improve our doubles play from last weekend and we did just that."
Navy's No. 2 tandem of Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) and Austin Jones (Fr., Dallas, Texas) quickly dispatched Temple's team of Nicolas Paulus and Herman Vasconez by the score of 8-1. The Mids then clinched the doubles point when their No. 3 team of Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) posted an 8-4 win over Kristian Marquart and Sam Rundle.
In the remaining match that was stopped once Daniel and Gutsche's match secured the doubles point, Navy's No. 1 duo of Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) led Santiago Canete and Kacper Rams by the score of 7-6.
"Our third doubles team played very well," said Officer, "our No. 2 team has been solid all year and our No. 1 team looked as if they were going to be able to close things out. Overall, I was very impressed with the movement of our doubles teams."
Navy's second team point of the match was earned by Mark with his 6-2, 6-0 win over Rams at No. 1 singles. The Navy advantage became 3-0 thanks to Jones winning a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Belkssir at No. 3 singles.
Temple closed to within 3-1 of the Mids when Canete posted a 6-4, 6-0 win over Daniel at No. 4 singles, but Tyler Burnett (So., Fayetteville, Ga.) put Navy's fourth team point on the scoreboard when he tallied a 6-4, 6-3 win over Vasconez at No. 6 singles.
McDonald would win a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8) decision over Marquart at No. 2 singles before Paulus rallied to win a 3-6, 6-1, 7-5 match over Gutsche at No. 5 singles.
"We came out firing in singles," said Officer.
Navy will next play Saturday at No. 23 North Carolina.
Navy (5-2) def. Temple (2-1), 5-2
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (2-3)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) vs. Canete, Santiago / Rams, Kacper (TEMPLE) 7-6, unfinished
2. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Paulus, Nicolas / Vasconez, Herman (TEMPLE) 8-1
3. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Marquart, Kristian / Rundle, Sam (TEMPLE) 8-4
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Rams, Kacper (TEMPLE) 6-2, 6-0
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Marquart, Kristian (TEMPLE) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Belkssir, Hicham (TEMPLE) 6-2, 6-1
4. Canete, Santiago (TEMPLE) def. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) 6-4, 6-0
5. Paulus, Nicolas (TEMPLE) def. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) def. Vasconez, Herman (TEMPLE) 6-4, 6-3