Feb. 9, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C.- The Navy men's tennis team (5-3) fell to No. 23 North Carolina (4-2), 4-0, on Saturday afternoon at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. North Carolina won the doubles point and then won three singles matches to clinch the team victory at 4-0, with the remaining singles matches being left unfinished due to North Carolina having a second match Saturday against James Madison following the Navy contest.
"I was very proud of our effort against a very tough team" said head coach John Officer. "I was proud of the way we battled today and we fought for every point. I thought we really went after it."
North Carolina's Maik Ulrich and Nelson Vick defeated Navy's Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) at No. 3 doubles, 8-3, to win the first match of the day. Then at No. 2 doubles, Brett Clark and William Parker knocked off Navy's Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) and Austin Jones(Fr., Dallas, Texas), 8-3, to clinch the doubles point.
UNC's Esben Hess-Olesen and Oystein Steiro led Navy's Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald(So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) at No. 1 doubles, 7-4, when the point was secured.
Parker was the first player to earn a singles win for UNC, defeating Jones, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 3. The loss was Jones' first in a dual match this season. UNC then took a 3-0 lead in the match when Clark, the 57th-ranked player in the nation, bested McDonald at No. 2, 6-2, 6-2.
"McDonald really battled," said Officer. "He hit his ground strokes well, but he was up against a tough opponent who showed why he is ranked so high."
North Carolina clinched the match at 4-0 when No. 6 Ulrich defeated Gaines, 6-3, 6-2, and the rest of the matches were suspended.
Mark dropped the first set at No. 1 singles to Vick, 7-6 (7-5), but took a 1-0 lead in the second set before the match was clinched by North Carolina.
Navy will next compete at Old Dominion on February 17.
#23 North Carolina 4, Navy 0 Singles (Order of finish: 3, 2, 6)
1. Nelson Vick (NC) led Calvin Mark (NAVY) 7-6 (7-5), 0-1, unfinished
2. Brett Clark (NC) def. Peter McDonald (NAVY) 6-2, 6-2
3. William Parker (NC) def. Austin Jones (NAVY) 6-2, 6-2
4. Oystein Steiro (NC) led Blake Daniel (NAVY) 6-4, 5-1, unfinished
5. Taylor Meyer (NC) led Nicholas Gutsche (NAVY) 7-5, unfinished
6. Maik Ulrich (NC) def. Alex Gaines (NAVY) 6-3, 6-2
Doubles (Order of finish: 3-2)
1. Esben Hess-Olesen / Oystein Steiro (NC) led Calvin Mark / Peter McDonald (NAVY) 7-4, unfinished
2. Brett Clark / William Parker (NC) def. Alex Gaines / Austin Jones (NAVY) 8-3
3. Maik Ulrich / Nelson Vick (NC) def. Blake Daniel / Nicholas Gutsche (NAVY) 8-3