Men’s Tennis Goes 2-1 in Saturday Action
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Navy men’s tennis team won two of three matches on Saturday in non-conference action at the Tose Family Tennis Center. The Mids (12-4) defeated Mount St. Mary’s (0-4) by counts of 6-1 and 7-0, while dropping a 4-3 decision to Temple (4-2).
Navy’s day began with a substantial 6-1 victory over Mount St. Mary’s. The Mids jumped out to an early 1-0 lead over the Mountaineers with a sweep of the doubles action. The duo of Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) and Romesh Kahatapitiya (Fr., Virginia Beach, Va.) breezed in their doubles match with a 6-1 victory over Mount St. Mary’s team of Gabriel Santos and Jean Armstrong in the two-spot. Walker Sims (Sr., Memphis, Tenn.) and Andrey Majkic (Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.) clinched the doubles point at third doubles with a 6-4 win. With the point clinched Navy’s number one doubles team of Zach Jennings (So., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) won their matchup, 6-3.
The host Midshipmen continued their winning ways in singles action as Cameron Kirkpatrick (Jr., Menlo Park, Calif.) knocked off Santos in the fifth singles match, 6-1, 6-4. Joshua Martin (Sr., Foley, Ala.) finished right behind his teammate and made it 3-0 in favor of Navy with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Jean Armstrong at fourth singles. Aries Wong (Sr., Bethesda, Md.) earned Navy the team victory with a straight set win at first singles versus Brandon Wortkotter, 6-2, 6-4.
With the decision in hand, Andrew Hicks (Jr., Haddon Heights, N.J.) notched Navy’s fourth consecutive straight set victory with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Chris Lindsey in the sixth spot. Peter Lohrbach (Fr., Little Neck, N.Y.) tallied the Mids’ final victory at second singles with a 7-6 (5), 6-3 result versus Jackson Wood.
After a brief break, a showdown with Temple was next on tap for Navy. A tight competition throughout saw the visiting Owls edge the Mids in three doubles matches (6-4, 6-4 and 6-2) to gain an early 1-0 lead.
The two teams split the first two singles points with Temple winning the fifth singles match before Jennings got Navy on the board with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 victory at second singles over Temple’s Juan Araoz. Temple won the next two matches in sixth and third singles to attain the match victory. In both of those matches, Navy pushed the contest to three sets as Majkic was downed 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 in the sixth match, while Sims fell 0-6, 7-6 (6), 7-5 in the third match.
Pilones and Ton tightened the final score with victories in the fourth and first contests, respectively. Pilones knocked off Mark Wallner, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 before Ton defeated Thomas Sevel, 0-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4).
Navy closed its lengthy day of action with another meeting with Mount St. Mary’s. In a test of their players’ stamina, the Mids came away with a perfect 7-0 mark versus the Mountaineers. Navy started its third match with a sweep in doubles action with Hicks and Kirkpatrick winning the third match 6-4 over Evan Hine and Parth Sharma before Pilones and Jennings clinched the point at the second spot with a 6-2 score versus Santos and Armstrong. The duo of Ton and Wong closed out the perfect showing with a 6-2 victory over Wortkotter and Wood at first doubles.
Lohrbach was the first of three Mids to record straight set singles victories over the Mountaineers. Playing in the first match, Lohrbach dispatched of Wortkotter, 7-5, 6-1. Martin was the next Mid to complete his contest as he defeated Santos, 6-3, 6-2 at fifth singles. The final sweep came from Kahapitiya at third singles as the freshman knocked off Sharma, 6-4, 6-4.
With the team victory declared for Navy, the Mids collected three more match wins in three-set decisions. After falling behind to Lindsey 4-6 in the first set, Kirkpatrick posted back-to-back 6-4, 6-4 sets to win the sixth singles match. Majkic and Armstrong split the first two sets with the Navy senior taking set one by a 6-4 score before Armstrong went 3-6 in set number two. Majkic kept Navy’s undefeated streak going as he closed out his fourth singles match with a 6-4 third set.
Wong closed the match with a three-set competition at second singles versus Wood. The first set went the way of Mount’s Wood by a score of 6-4 before Wong charged back with a 6-3 score in the second set and a 6-4 mark in the clinching third set.
“This was a great day of tennis for the team,” remarked head coach Chris Garner. “There were so many close, competitive and emotional matches. I was really proud of the way the team competed and supported one another throughout. Everyone contributed in today's matches.
“I was impressed with the way Romesh came back from his defeat versus Temple to best a strong Parth Sharma from Mount St. Mary's in straight sets tonight. Aries was able to battle through two close singles matches alongside a doubles win. Cam, Josh and Peter were playing some good tennis to secure two points each throughout today's matches. Andrew Ton had a great comeback against Temple's top player while Zachary and Gabriel also played really well in the Temple match too.”
Navy will continue non-conference competition next weekend with a home doubleheader next Saturday, Feb. 17 versus Binghamton (9 a.m.) and George Mason (12:30 p.m.).
Navy defeats Mount St. Mary’s, 6-1
Doubles - Navy wins doubles points (2,3,1)
- Zach Jennings/Gabriel Pilones (N) defeats Brandon Wortkotter/Jackson Wood, 6-3
- Andrew Ton/Romesh Kahatapitiya (N) defeats Gabriel Santos/Jean Armstrong, 6-1
- Walker Sims/Andrey Majkic (N) defeats Evan Hine/Parth Sharma, 6-4
- Aries Wong (N) defeats Brandon Wortkotter, 6-2, 6-4
- Peter Lohrbach (N) defeats Jackson Wood, 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Parth Sharma (M) defeats Andrey Majkic, 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
- Joshua Martin (N) defeats Jean Armstrong, 6-1, 6-3
- Cameron Kirkpatrick (N) defeats Gabriel Santos, 6-1, 6-4
- Andrew Hicks (N) defeats Chris Lindsey, 6-3, 6-4
Temple defeats Navy, 4-3
Doubles – Temple wins doubles point (3,2,1)
- Thomas Sevel/Alberto Casas (TEM) defeats Peter Lohrbach/Aries Wong, 6-4
- Eric Biscoveanu/Uladzimir Dorash (TEM) defeats Joshua Martin/Romesh Kahatapitiya, 6-4
- Mark Wallner/Juan Araoz (TEM) defeats Cameron Kirkpatrick/Andrew Hicks, 6-2
- Andrew Ton (N) defeats Thomas Sevel, 0-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4)
- Zach Jennings (N) defeats Juan Araoz, 7-6 (3), 6-3
- Uladzimir Dorash (TEM) defeats Walker Sims, 0-6, 7-6 (6), 7-5
- Gabriel Pilones (N) defeats Mark Wallner, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
- Francisco Bohorquez (TEM) defeats Romesh Kahatapitiya, 6-3, 6-4
- Eric Biscoveanu (TEM) defeats Andrey Majkic, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
Navy defeats Mount St. Mary’s, 7-0
Doubles – Navy wins doubles point (3,2,1)
- Andrew Ton/Aries Wong (N) defeats Brandon Wortkotter/Jackson Wood, 6-2
- Gabriel Pilones/Zach Jennings (N) defeats Gabriel Santos/Jean Armstrong, 6-2
- Andrew Hicks/Cameron Kirkpatrick (N) defeats Evan Hine/Parth Sharma, 6-4
- Peter Lohrbach (N) defeats Brandon Wortkotter, 7-5, 6-1
- Aries Wong (N) defeats Jackson Wood, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Romesh Kahatapitiya (N) defeats Parth Sharma, 6-4, 6-4
- Andrey Majkic (N) defeats Jean Armstrong, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
- Joshua Martin (N) defeats Gabriel Santos, 6-3, 6-2
- Cameron Kirkpatrick (N) defeats Chris Lindsey, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4