Men's Tennis Posts Pair of Wins Saturday
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team improved its record on the year to 14-4 with a pair of victories Saturday at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis. The Mids first posted a 5-2 victory over Binghamton (2-6), then tallied a 4-1 win over George Mason (2-3).
"Everyone on the team chipped in during the two victories today," said Navy head coach Chris Garner.
Binghamton began the day by winning the first two doubles matches to finish to take a 1-0 lead. Navy would bounce back to win four singles matches in straight sets to rally for the win.
"After dropping the doubles point," said Garner, "the team came out strong by taking the first set in the top five singles positions. Aries Wong (Sr., Bethesda, Md.), Romesh Kahatapitiya (Fr., Virginia Beach, Va.), Gabriel Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) and Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) closed out their matches in straight sets to earn the four points needed for the victory, with Peter Lohrbach (Fr., Little Neck, N.Y.) winning a super tie-breaker to get the fifth point."
The doubles matches in Navy's contest against George Mason saw the Mids win at the No. 3 and then No. 2 flights to place the opening point on the scoreboard. Then Ton, Lohrbach and Kahatapitiya each won straight set singles matches to close out the dual.
"In doubles," said Garner, "our numbers one and two teams got out to quick starts, but also did a great job of closing their matches out. In singles, plebes Romesh, Andrew and Peter were up to the task again, all earning straight set wins to clinch the match. Although Aries and Zach Jennings (So., Snellville, Ga.) were unable to compete their matches, both were playing well."
Navy will play another doubleheader next Saturday when the Mids play host to Monmouth and Villanova.
Navy (13-4) def. Binghamton (2-6), 5-2
Doubles - Binghamton wins the doubles point (3-2)
1. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) vs. Bouchet, Valentin / Lourenco, Tiago (BING) 5-4, unfinished
2. Nath, Kushaan / Quiros, Sebastian (BING) def. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) 6-4
3. Cestarollo, Ludovico / Pena, Alejandro (BING) def. Kirkpatrick, Cameron / Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) 6-1
1. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) def. Lourenco, Tiago (BING) 7-5, 6-3
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Nath, Kushaan (BING) 6-1, 6-4
3. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Quiros, Sebastian (BING) 6-2, 6-1
4. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. Saez, Inigo (BING) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Pena, Alejandro (BING) 6-1, 7-5
6. Bouchet, Valentin (BING) def. Martin, Joshua (NAVY) 6-3, 6-4
Navy (14-4) def. George Mason (2-3), 4-1
Doubles - Navy wins the doubles point (1-2)
1. Ton, Andrew / Wong, Aries (NAVY) def. Ryan Charles / Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) 6-1
2. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. Giuliano Buzoianu / Jakob Nielsen (MASON) 6-2
3. Kahatapitiya, Romesh / Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) vs. Carter Bradford / Pally Ray (MASON) 3-4, unfinished
1. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) def. Pally Ray (MASON) 6-2, 6-1
2. Wong, Aries (NAVY) vs. Jakob Nielsen (MASON) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) vs. Edward Ayers (MASON) 6-2, 4-4, unfinished
4. Carter Bradford (MASON) def. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. Daniel Gutierrez (MASON) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. Giuliano Buzoianu (MASON) 6-3, 6-1