UNCG Posts Win Over Navy Men's Tennis Team
Feb. 19, 2011
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- UNC Greensboro won five straight set singles matches to record a 6-1 victory over the Navy men's tennis team Saturday evening at the Starmount Forest Country Club Indoor Courts in Greensboro, N.C.
Navy's (7-2) lone point of the match was recorded in doubles when the Mids picked up a pair of wins -- both in tiebreakers -- at the Nos. 1 and 2 doubles flight. After the Spartans (4-2) won by the score of 8-5 at No. 3 doubles, Navy's Nick Birger (Sr., Belleville, Ill.) and Owen Bullard (Sr., Concord, N.C.) combined for a 9-8 (8-6) win at No. 1 doubles over Orcun Seyrek and Ahmet Sarioglu. The Mids then claimed the doubles point when Nicholas Gutsche (So., Sarasota, Fla.) and Zach Nicholson (Jr., Bowie, Md.) won a 9-8 (8-3) decision over Chanon Varapongsittikul and Timion Meijs at No. 2 doubles.
"We did a very good job in doubles," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We have been playing well in doubles all season. We were down a break of serve in all three matches but fought back."
The Spartans then won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. In the one match to be extended into a third set, Seyrek posted a 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 win over Bullard at No. 1 singles.
"The middle of our lineup came out flat and uninspired in singles," said Officer. "The facility we were playing at had only four courts, so the singles started with only the top four flights playing at the same time. We lost at Nos. 2, 3 and 4 and that really took us out of the match. We played well in losing efforts at the other three flights.
"The power of Greensboro was not something we could match. It was similar to our match last week against North Carolina. Greensboro won its league title last year and are still a very good team this year."
Navy will remain on the road Sunday for an afternoon match at 75th-ranked William & Mary.
UNCG 6, Navy 1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-1-2)
1. Nick Birger / Bullard (NAVY) def. Sarioglu / Seyrek, 9-8 (8-6)
2. Gutsche / Nicholson (NAVY) def. Meijs / Varapongsittikul, 9-8 (8-3)
3. Litus / Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Rebersak / Anderson Walls, 8-5
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Owen Bullard, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
2. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Marcus Rebersak, 6-0, 6-3
3. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Zach Nicholson, 6-1, 6-2
4. Chanon Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Jeremy New, 6-1, 6-3
5. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Nicholas Gutsche, 6-3, 6-4
6. Zach Reece (UNCG) def. Matt Richmond, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)