Navy Records Two Men's Tennis Victories
Feb. 23, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team recorded a pair of victories Sunday at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis. The Mids began the day by posting a 4-3 win over George Mason and closed it with a 7-0 win over Howard.
Sunday's matches took place one day after the Mids played at No. 23 North Carolina.
"It was an excellent, all-around day for us," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We have played such a tough schedule. It is the toughest we have had in my 30 years here. We took it on the chin at North Carolina and at (No. 1) Virginia (an 8-0 loss on Jan. 26) and have played two other national level teams (BYU and East Carolina) very close.
"This has the potential to be a very good team. That is because we have taken the lessons we have learned against Virginia and North Carolina and put them to use. We have not become discouraged from facing those opponents. We have instead learned from those matches."
The doubles point between the Mids (6-4) and the Patriots (3-3) was not decided until a tiebreaker in the third and final match to be completed. Navy's No. 2 tandem of Blake Daniel (Jr., Overland Park, Kan.) and Calvin Mark (Jr., Union City, Calif.) outlasted Tanner Baine and Taylor Sargent by the score of 7-2 to give the Mids a 1-0 lead in the team scoring.
Baine bounced back to tie the score at 1-1 when he defeated Krishna Jana (Fr., Seabrook, Texas) by the score of 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. Navy would place the next three team points on the scoreboard to secure the overall win and reverse a 4-3 loss suffered by the Mids to George Mason one year ago. Thomas Pecor (Fr., Houston, Texas) defeated Joe Hill, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 3 singles, Mark won a 6-4, 6-0 decision over James Lange at No. 2 singles and Daniel secured Navy's fourth team point of the day with his 6-3, 6-1 victory against Aaron Capitel at the No. 4 flight.
The Mids then didn't drop a set in winning the two completed doubles matches and each of the six singles matches against Howard (0-6).
"George Mason beat us last year, and we have a lot of respect for them," said Officer. "They are a very good team. We were decisive in all of our wins in doubles and in singles.
"Then we went out and took care of business against Howard. We have rotated our top-three singles players in the lineup this year, and Thomas played well against Howard. He missed two forehands the whole match."
Navy will continue its homestand with matches Thursday against Fairleigh Dickinson (2:30 p.m.) and Saturday against both Delaware (11 a.m.) and Coppin State (4 p.m.).
"Today was a really good day, and I think we can go on a roll from here," said Officer.
Navy (5-4) def. George Mason (3-3), 4-3
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-3-2)
1. Jones, Austin / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Hill, Joe / Lange, James, (GMU) 8-3
2. Daniel, Blake / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Baine, Tanner / Sargent, Taylor (GMU), 8-7 (7-2)
3. Borden, Christopher / Davis, Jimmy (GMU) def. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY), 8-5
1. Davis, Jimmy (GMU) def. Jones, Austin (NAVY), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Lange, James (GMU), 6-4, 6-0
3. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Hill, Joe (GMU), 6-0, 6-3
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Capitel, Aaron (GMU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Baine, Tanner (GMU) def. Jana, Krishna (NAVY), 6-3, 6-1
6. Barker, Nick (GMU) def. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY), 6-4, 6-3
Navy (6-4) def. Howard (0-6), 7-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-1)
1. Jones, Austin / Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Davis, Myron / Jones, William (HOW), 8-2
2. Daniel, Blake / Mark, Calvin (NAVY) vs. Foster, Laguna / Kaouache, Ismael (HOW), 6-4, unfinished
3. Gaines, Alex / Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Kendall, Nile / Sorrell, Nico (HOW), 8-1 Singles (5-2-6-3-4-1)
1. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Jones, William (HOW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Kaouache, Ismael (HOW) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Foster, Laguna (HOW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Davis, Myron (HOW) 6-2, 7-5
5. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Sorrell, Nico (HOW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) def. Kendall, Nile (HOW) 6-1, 6-2