Men's Tennis Team Splits Two Matches
Feb. 24, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men’s tennis team split a pair of matches Saturday at the Tose Family Tennis Center. The Mids dropped a 4-3 decision to George Mason and won a 4-0 contest over Howard.
Navy started the day with a strong effort to win the doubles point from the Patriots. After George Mason picked up an 8-0 win at No. 2 doubles, Navy’s Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) combined to win an 8-3 decision over Tanner Baine and Taylor Sargent at No. 3 doubles. The Mids secured the doubles point when their No. 1 tandem of Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) posted an 8-4 win over Jimmy Davis and Scott Keaton.
George Mason quickly won the first three singles matches to be completed to take a 3-1 lead. Navy sliced the deficit in half when Daniel posted a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Keaton at No. 4 singles, then tied the match at 3-3 thanks to Austin Jones (Fr., Dallas, Texas) defeating Baine by the score of 7-5, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. That left the match at No. 2 singles between McDonald and Davis to decide the match.
McDonald won the first set in a tiebreaker (7-1), then Davis won the second set by the score of 6-4. The players were on serve midway through the third set when McDonald broke Davis. Davis immediately responded with a break, and the players held serve to force a tiebreaker. McDonald won the first two points of the breaker, but Davis soon built a 6-3 lead. McDonald fought off three match points to tie the proceedings at 6-6. Davis promptly won the ensuing two points to close out the match.
“It was a hard-fought match,” said Navy head coach John Officer. “Give the credit to Mason. They played extremely well when under the pressure of losing the doubles point. We need to use this match to make us stronger.”
Navy bounced back with its victory over Howard.
The Mids lost a combined three games in winning matches at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles to secure the doubles point. Navy then won a trio of straight-set singles matches and were leading in the remaining three matches when play was stopped due to the Mids picking up their fourth team point of the day.
Seniors Matt Richmond (Kalamazoo, Mich.) and Gutsche both won a pair of matches against the Bison.
Navy will be right back on the Tose Family Tennis Center courts Sunday at 9 a.m. when it plays host to Drexel.
George Mason (3-1) def. Navy (5-5), 4-3
Doubles -- GMU wins the doubles point (2-3-1)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Davis, Jimmy / Keaton, Scott, 8-4
2. Borden, Christopher / Dyke, Jordan (GMU) def. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin, 8-0
3. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Baine, Tanner / Sargent, Taylor, 8-3
1. Dyke, Jordan (GMU) def. Mark, Calvin, 6-3, 6-4
2. Davis, Jimmy (GMU) def. McDonald, Peter, 6-7 (1-7), 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Baine, Tanner, 7-5, 6-2
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Keaton, Scott, 7-5, 6-1
5. Capitel, Aaron (GMU) def. Gutsche, Nicholas, 6-3, 6-4
6. Sargent, Taylor (GMU) def. Burnett, Tyler, 6-1, 6-4
Navy (6-5) def, Howard (0-2), 4-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-2)
1. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) vs. Mitchell, Spencer / Davis, Myron, 7-2 Navy (unfinished)
2. Gutsche, Nicholas / Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Dzakovic, Bogan / Burns, Brandon, 8-1
3. Sisk, Alex / Richmond, Matt (NAVY) def. Sorrell / Kendall, Niles, 8-2
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) vs. Mitchell, Spencer, 6-4, 3-2 Navy (unfinished)
2. Jones, Austin (NAVY) vs. Davis, Myron, 6-3, 1-0 Navy (unfinished)
3. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Dzakovic, 6-1, 6-1
4. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Kendall, 6-0, 6-2
5. Richmond, Matt (NAVY) def. Sorrell, 6-0, 6-1
6. Sisk, Alex (NAVY) vs. Burns, Brandon, 6-3, 2-0 Navy (unfinished)