Feb. 24, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men’s tennis team concluded a busy weekend that saw the Mids play three matches in 24 hours with a 4-1 victory over Drexel Sunday morning at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis.
The win improves Navy’s record on the year to 7-5, while Drexel fell to 4-3 with the loss.
“I’m very proud of the effort today,” said Navy head coach John Officer. “We had a tough loss yesterday (a 4-3 loss to George Mason), but bounced back against a good Drexel team today.”
Navy won the doubles point by picking up victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 flights. Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) combined for an 8-5 win over Skyler Davis and Badr Ouabdelmoumen at No. 1 doubles, then Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) tallied an 8-2 win over Tyler Pultro and Jeganath Srinivasan at No. 3 doubles.
Daniel quickly placed Navy’s second team point of the day on the board as he recorded a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Dan Koehler at No. 4 singles. Austin Jones (Fr., Dallas, Texas) soon followed with a 6-0, 3-6, 6-0 win over Srinivasan at No. 3 singles. McDonald then secured the overall win for the Mids as he defeated Davis by scores of 6-7, 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 2 flight.
“Peter was our player of the day,” said Officer. “He had a tough singles loss yesterday, but played very well today. I couldn’t be prouder of his effort.
“Weekends like this will only help to toughen us up for the Patriot League Tournament at the end of the season.”
Navy will take to the road for a match Wednesday at Penn before returning to Annapolis and playing host to Delaware and Coppin State on Sunday, March 3.
Navy (7-5) def. Drexel (4-3), 4-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-3)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Davis, Skyler / Ouabdelmoumen, Badr (DREX) 8-5
2. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Koehler, Dan / Saavedra, Xabier (DREX) 7-4
3. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Pultro, Tyler / Srinivasan, Jeganath (DREX) 8-2
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) vs. Ouabdelmoumen, Badr (DREX) 4-6, 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Davis, Skyler (DREX) 6-7 (1-7), 6-0, 6-2
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Srinivasan, Jeganath (DREX) 6-0, 3-6, 6-0
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Koehler, Dan (DREX) 6-0, 6-3
5. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) vs. Saavedra, Xabier (DREX) 6-3, 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
6. Fioravante, Alex (DREX) def. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) 0-6, 7-5, 6-0