March 3, 2013
Final Stats |
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The Navy men's tennis team did not drop a set on the day in recording identical 7-0 victories over Delaware and Coppin State Sunday at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis, Md.
"We played really well against Delaware," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We were on just on fire. We struggled a little against them in a very competitive match during the fall, but we played lights out today."
Navy swept the three doubles matches from the Blue Hens, with the Mids dropping a combined four games at the Nos. 2 and 3 flights. Blake Daniel (So., Overland Park, Kan.) and Nicholas Gutsche (Sr., Sarasota, Fla.) were the first duo to finish as they lost just one game in defeating Mike Furr and Alex Sweet at No. 3 doubles. The Mids secured the doubles point with a win at the No. 2 flight by Alex Gaines (Fr., Wilmington, N.C.) and Austin Jones (Fr., Dallas, Texas). They tallied an 8-3 win over the team of Jason Derene and Adam Lawton.
Navy then saw its No. 1 team of Calvin Mark (So., Union City, Calif.) and Peter McDonald (So., Chapel Hill, N.C.) defeat Evan Andrews and Nolan Gelman in a tiebreaker (10-8).
"Our two and three doubles teams were pretty dominant," said Officer. "We struggled a little at one doubles, but were able to fight through. Then we were pretty dominant throughout the singles lineup."
The Mids did not drop a set in any of the six singles matches contested against Delaware. Gaines was the first match to finish as he won a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Sweet at No. 6 singles. Navy's third point of the day was posted by Daniel with his 6-1, 6-2 win over Andrews at No. 4. McDonald secured the overall win for Navy with his 6-2, 6-3 victory over Gelman at No. 2 singles.
Mark then defeated Lawton by the score of 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles, Gutsche followed with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Derene at No. 5 and Jones posted a 7-6 (7-3), 6-1 victory over Furr at No. 3 to complete the match.
"Austin faced a tough opponent, but came back from being down a break in the first set to win it in a tiebreaker," said Officer. "Alex did a good job, Nick was down but came back to win, Peter is playing better and better with each match, Calvin has his game together and Blake was flawless with his volleys today, as was Nick, which was something we had worked on with them this week."
Navy then lost a combined seven games in winning all three doubles matches against Coppin State. This included the tandem of Daniel and Gutsche defeating Tre'Vonne Peyton and Patrick Thomas by the score of 8-1 at No. 2 doubles.
Gutsche would go on to defeat Reginald Robinson by the score of 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3 singles. Also playing well in singles was Alex Sisk (So., Clarksville, Ind.), who won his No. 6 singles match against Peyton by set scores of 6-1, 6-0, and Tyler Burnett (So., Fayetteville, Ga.), who posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Thomas at No. 5 singles.
"Our match against Coppin was not as good as our match against Delaware was," said Officer, "but we did a good job in not losing a set on the entire day. Alex, Tyler and Nick all played extremely well against Coppin. They really came to play."
Navy will play Saturday at UMBC before returning to the Tose Family Tennis Center courts on March 10 to play host to Mount St. Mary's (Noon) and UMES (5 p.m.).
Navy (8-6) def. Delaware (2-3), 7-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (3-2-1)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Andrews, Evan / Gelman, Nolan (DEL) 9-8
2. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Derene, Jason / Lawton, Adam (DEL) 8-3
3. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Furr, Mike / Sweet, Alex (DEL) 8-1
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Lawton, Adam (DEL) 6-4, 6-3
2. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Gelman, Nolan (DEL) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Furr, Mike (DEL) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Andrews, Evan (DEL) 6-1, 6-2
5. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Derene, Jason (DEL) 7-5, 6-2
6. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Sweet, Alex (DEL) 6-1, 6-2
Navy (9-6) def. Coppin State (1-2), 7-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (2-3-1)
1. Gaines, Alex / Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Krylchuk, Oleksiy / Nino, Daniel (COPPIN) 8-3
2. Daniel, Blake / Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Peyton, Tre'vonne / Thomas, Patrick (COPPIN) 8-1
3. Burnett, Tyler / Sisk, Alex (NAVY) def. Peyton, Roderick / Robinson, Reginald (COPPIN) 8-3
1. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Krylchuk, Oleksiy (COPPIN) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Nino, Daniel (COPPIN) 6-4, 6-3
3. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Robinson, Reginald (COPPIN) 6-0, 6-0
4. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Peyton, Roderick (COPPIN) 6-1, 7-5
5. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) def. Thomas, Patrick (COPPIN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Sisk, Alex (NAVY) def. Peyton, Tre'vonne (COPPIN) 6-1, 6-0