Men’s Tennis Sweeps FDU
ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– The Navy men’s tennis team (16-5) closed its pre-Spring Break slate of matches with a 7-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson (0-7) Saturday evening at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis.
Navy began the second match between the programs by losing only a combined two games in cruising to the doubles point. The No. 2 team of Andrey Majkic (Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.) and Andrew Ton (Fr., Milpitas, Calif.) did not drop a game in winning its match. Navy’s No. 1 –– Zach Jennings (So., Snellville, Ga.) and Gabriel Pilones (So., Bradenton, Fla.) –– and No. 3 –– Romesh Kahatapitiya (Fr., Virginia Beach, Va.) and Joshua Martin (Sr., Foley, Ala.) –– would each win their respective matches by the score of 6-1.
The singles matches proved to be much tighter than the doubles matches. The Mids won each of the six contests, but two of them were extended into three sets and the four straight-set decisions were relatively close ones.
Jennings posted a 6-2, 6-3 win at the No. 2 flight, Walker Sims (Sr., Memphis, Tenn.) notched a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 3, Pilones won a 6-3, 6-3 decision at No. 4 and Majkic recorded a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 6.
The remaining two matches saw Ton win, 6-0, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 1 and Kahatapitiya tally a 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) victory at No. 5.
“Our seniors, Andrey, Joshua and Walker, each played very well today,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “All three did a great job leading the way.
“Zachary used all his shot making ability to close out his match in straight sets. Gabriel moved real well tonight to put a lot of pressure on his opponent. Freshmen Andrew and Romesh played well in the big moments to earn hard fought three-set victories.”
Saturday’s match capped a 10-match homestand for the Mids. Navy will now play each of its next eight matches away from home, starting with contests March 11 at Campbell and Elon.
Navy (16-5) def. Fairleigh Dickinson (0-7), 7-0
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point
1. Jennings, Zach / Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. BUDINSZKY, Moric / PIETSCH, Niclas (FDU) 6-1
2. Majkic, Andrey / Ton, Andrew (NAVY) def. CHAN, Adam / GUDINS, Andris (FDU) 6-0
3. Kahatapitiya, Romesh / Martin, Joshua (NAVY) def. AUTUCH, Maciej / NOBUZAWA, Miki (FDU) 6-1
1. Ton, Andrew (NAVY) def. PIETSCH, Niclas (FDU) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
2. Jennings, Zach (NAVY) def. BUDINSZKY, Moric (FDU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sims, Walker (NAVY) def. CHAN, Adam (FDU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Pilones, Gabriel (NAVY) def. GUDINS, Andris (FDU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Kahatapitiya, Romesh (NAVY) def. AUTUCH, Maciej (FDU) 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Majkic, Andrey (NAVY) def. NOBUZAWA, Miki (FDU) 6-2, 6-4